Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Why do pages get 'stuck'?

I often need to go to 'next chapter' to be able to page forward.

This is particularly frustrating when it's the very last page which won't turn.

Any thoughts?

TIA
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
Are you running the new firmware?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Are you running the new firmware?
whoops! was hoping I'd get back in here to edit, but you beat me!

Kobo original running v1.4

I am loathe to do the upgrade ~ again! I am such a wuss!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I actually can't answer your question but people who can would probably need to know:
  • using Kobo or ePub format?
  • most, all, or just one problematic book?
dmacmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
with the limited info available it sounds like a book problem not a kobo problem. As already suggested try a different book
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
How long are the chapters? On mine if the chapters are like 200 pages it actually takes 30 seconds or so to load the next one...
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I've had this issue with the Millenium trilogy only, so far. They were synced with the kobo app on the kobo wifi with the latest 1.7.4 firmware. It would happen at the end of almost every chapter, no matter how long I waited, and it didn't seem to matter how long the chapter was... Would get around it by hitting next page a second time, which would then skip me to the second page of the next chapter, so I got into a habit of hitting the next button, wait for the freeze, then hit the next button again and immediately hit back one page. The system actually registers the additonal two hits at once, which it normally wouldn't do, and I end up on the right page.

I've not seen any other book that has done this, and I haven't tried it with the sideloaded versions of the books.

Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a support ticket from OCT 30 on virtually the same issue as Pyske that still hasn't been responded to.
I'm thinking there is something in the coding of the book or maybe a combination with some small bug with the firmware that causes this. My problem is with the National Post usually 5 issue out of 6 each week where it hangs going back to the article list and you have to press another button to get it to respond and then it does the function of whatever the 2nd click was. At least with newspaper I can hit down and it will go down the article list rather than to the next page of articles. It's not completely crippling, but very frustrating. In any days edition where it's happening it's happens consistently, and when it doesn't happen it doesn't happen consistently (i.e. it's not a random thing).
Robert

Last edited by robko; 12-22-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarity
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
mamasue
Zealot

I am such a bad, bad girl!

Not enough info provided & I should know better by now! LOL

Thanks for your responses ... here's more info ...

* using ADE to sideload ePubs only ~ NEVER use the Kobo app ~ hate it!!!

* it happens with various books - there doesn't seem to be any consistency in chapter length, some are long, some just a page or two - and not one particular author/publisher

* have tried all the various suggestions

* it's not related to battery level either

I find it a little frustrating, but not enough to make me want to kick the reader!!!