Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
Kindle User
Kindle User began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Questions - Feedbooks + RSS + 3g

Hi Everyone, first post here in what is a really helpful forum!

I have been around the forums trying to find an answer but have failed.

I am very excited about ordering my Kindle 3g + Wifi today, but just wanted to check something out before I did. I am based in the UK.

I really like the service offered by Feedbooks, and they say that I can update RSS feeds over Wireless straight to the device.

What I want to know is whether this includes 3g, or is just wifi? This is a big question for me. I would like to update the news on my device when not around a wifi hotspot, so being able to do this over 3g would solve all problems. Especially when I go on holiday next month. I know that speed will not be the quickest, but whilst abroad being able to keep up with news for free with the built in 3g would be amazing. I have got this right, in that the 3g is free to use globally (within Amazon's allowed countries etc).

This is the main reason I would use the 3g, as otherwise I would just update via a usb connection when I could. But I would save myself £50 if this is not achievable and just order the wifi model.

Many thanks,
Kindle User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Kindle User

Hi Guys,

Lots of views but no comments.

Anyone have ideas about this? I really want to place my order.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Go ahead and buy the 3G + Wi-Fi - this will give you both capabilities.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
It should work with both, I wouldn't see why not. However, if Feedbooks sends you data when you're not near a Wi-Fi hotspot it will delivered over 3G at a cost of 15 cents per meg.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Kindle User

Thanks for your replies.

I was under the impression that you don't actually get sent messages from Feedbooks, but you visit a URL which you then download the type of book (ePub, Kindle, PDF, Custom PDF), and it is then on the device for you to read.

So I guess that the transfer would just be a downloaded from a website, which I believe is included within the 3g data that is part of the package?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been a while since I've visited Feedbooks, but I was thinking they emailed the files to you. If it's a download then yes, either Wi-FI or 3G will work and there shouldn't be any charge.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Kindle User

Thanks carld,

Do you do much with RSS feeds?

For example, after what I have read about Feedbooks, from this page (http://www.feedbooks.com/feed/31), you use the links on the right hand side, and type that into the kindle browser, and you can then download the format you want.

I know the 3g connection is free globally at the moment, but I can see Amazon in the future charging something for it. But from what I understand (apart from being slowish) you can browse the web on the Kindle for free currently worldwide?

As I said before being able to update the Kindle with newsfeeds when travelling would be amazing, especially if its free.

Can you see any problems with this?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
carld
Wizard

I went to that URL on my K1 and was able to click on the Kindle link and download the mobi file without any problem (no typing needed). It showed up on my homescreen as a new book, just like any other.

You can browse the web for free as long as you're in one of the 100 supported countries, as far as I know. Amazon could someday charge for 3G, but as they're heavily promoting free 3G as a feature, I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Kindle User

Carld thats fantastic, thanks for taking the time to check this for me, this gives the Kindle a whole new area of enjoyment for me. I look forward to reading the newspaper RSS feeds by the pool next month...for free!

Better order now! Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
arvoredo
arvoredo began at the beginning.

Thumbs down Feedbooks is Dead!

Feedbooks, a service that formerly did aggregate and read RSS feeds into PDF and MOBI format for Kindle is now defunct.

Without any explanation the site author killed the functionality, probably seeking more customer to buy books and not users to read RSS.

I've deleted my account already from feedbooks.

It's a shame. Anyone knows of a similar service like that?
arvoredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.AbFabGab is no ebook tyro.

Device: K3-3G, Red Sony 505, iPod Touch 2G
arvoredo, maybe kindlefeeder?

===
Kindlefeeder is a service for Amazon Kindle owners that lets you aggregate your favorite feeds and have them delivered to your Kindle in a convenient, easy-to-navigate format. Kindlefeeder also lets you save individual webpages and have them delivered to your Kindle along with your feeds.
===

I came across it when searching for Kindle related links.
(getting new Kindle shortly)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I use kindlefeeder.com which is an online service:
http://www.kinworm.com/2010/09/readi...ndle-with.html

or you can also use the ebook software, Calibre for news / rss feeds:
http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/addin...n-calibre.html

Both are very good and reliable options really.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote