Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
greycobalt
greycobalt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question Replacement Kindle won't read Calibre library?

My first new Kindle had a bad screen defect, so they sent me a new one. When I went to sync it up with Calibre, everything worked fine, until I attempted to open one of the books on my Kindle. It then told me: "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived Items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

Now, I tried deleting a certain book and re-downloading it from my Archive, and that does work. However, I extensively modified the metadata of every book I have from Amazon (a few hundred), and this effectively rids them of that. Is there a way to make it so that it will recognize my Calibre library as actually belonging to me?

Thanks in advance for any help.
greycobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
slm
Useless
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 2, Jetbook, EZ Reader EZ pocket pro, ipad, archos 5 ch
No. The drm is specific to each Kindle.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The only option is the questionable one - removing the drm and then loading them onto the kindle - questionable behavior and those books would probably not sync pages read between devices.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycobalt View Post
My first new Kindle had a bad screen defect, so they sent me a new one. When I went to sync it up with Calibre, everything worked fine, until I attempted to open one of the books on my Kindle. It then told me: "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived Items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."
I don't have a Kindle but there must be some way to register your new Kindle to your Amazon account. Contact Amazon or a Kindle forum, this problem has nothing to do with calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro, Kindle 3/WiFi - Retired:Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have a Kindle but there must be some way to register your new Kindle to your Amazon account. Contact Amazon or a Kindle forum, this problem has nothing to do with calibre.
That's not the issue. the OP said he'd downloaded on from the Archived Items on Amazon's server so his new device is definitely registered to the same account as the old one.

Amazon's DRM is device specific, not account specific. Once you download an AZW it is coded to open only on a specific Kindle, either device or software app. It can't be moved to another device.

If you add a new device you must download the book from Amazon again to have the new copy coded to mate with the new device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
tadhgadams
tadhgadams began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW, iPad mini
I suppose you could goto Calibre library, select all the books, under the Remove books drop down select Remove files of a specific format from selected books, and select mobi to remove the mobi files that are specific to your old Kindle. Download new copies with DRM specific to your new Kindle and then readd the mobi files to the appropriate books in the Calibre Library.

Of course, short of stripping the DRM, you will run into the exact problem the next time you have a new Kindle.
tadhgadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now, I tried deleting a certain book and re-downloading it from my Archive, and that does work.
There's your answer, you have to re-download every book again from amazon.

Quote:
However, I extensively modified the metadata of every book I have from Amazon (a few hundred), and this effectively rids them of that.
You can add your newly downloaded books to each book record in calibre. Open the metadata edit window and either use the add book icon to add the format or drag the book to that window. If needed delete the original from that window first. This retains all of your previous editing of the metadata.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
greycobalt

So either way it sounds like I lost a lot of work. Bummer. I'm surprised they make the files device-specific instead of account-specific, considering you can have multiple Kindles per account. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You can add your newly downloaded books to each book record in calibre. Open the metadata edit window and either use the add book icon to add the format or drag the book to that window. If needed delete the original from that window first. This retains all of your previous editing of the metadata.
In your opinion, would it be more time consuming to do it this way, or to just start from scratch?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You mkight decide you want to look into the methods of removing the DRM so that you do not hit this issue again in the future? Details of removing DRM cannot be discussed here as it against forum policies, but Google will let you find appropriate information sources if you decide to go down that route.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
So either way it sounds like I lost a lot of work. Bummer.
I buy many books from Amazon and strip the DRM from them while adding them to calibre. No muss no fuss. You can read more about removing drm from Kindle books in this thread.

Quote:
In your opinion, would it be more time consuming to do it this way, or to just start from scratch?
If you highlight all of the books you wish to change books on then use the dropdown arrow next to edit metadata icon and select Edit metadata individually. This will let you cycle through the whole list one book at a time.

Drag the correct book into the available formats window then click next (it will cycle to the next book) then drag the next book into the window then click next etc... It won't take too long.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
greycobalt

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

On a somewhat different topic, is there a way to download files from the archive in bulk? It starts to get clunky after you have more than 4 or 5 going at a time.