Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Jonnster
Jonnster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Which Is The Best Reader For PDF?

I am looking to buy an e-reader but PDF viewing (of technical documents not simple text PDFs) is an important feature. I don't think the 9 inch readers are much good to me (too big and too costly). Which of the 6-7 inch readers does the best job with PDFs?

I am based in the UK so some options like the Nook and Pocketbook are difficult to get hold of in the UK.
Jonnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Caleb666
Connoisseur
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Even the 9.7" readers require zooming (sometimes) with technical documents, so I think that going for 6" reader for PDFs is a big mistake.

But if you still want to do it, you'd need something that supports reflow and automatic margin cutting. Look up the Onyx Boox A60.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
Even the 9.7" readers require zooming (sometimes) with technical documents, so I think that going for 6" reader for PDFs is a big mistake.

But if you still want to do it, you'd need something that supports reflow and automatic margin cutting. Look up the Onyx Boox A60.
Maybe the 9.7" Pearl E-ink Onyx Boox M90 is an alternative for you!
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Check out the Archos 70 internet tablet. A good pdf reader can be installed as an app for free or really cheap.... i added ezPDF for 99 cents.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
For technical documents 6" or any other screen that cannot display a page in readable size without zooming will be clumsy. If the documents do not contain side boxes and other stuff that breaks text/reading flow, but 1 or 2 column text, then there will be no problems.
Another problems might be with graphics. 6" can be too small to overview them.
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
The iPad probably is arguably the best PDF ereader, but the Sony Readers do pretty well too as they come with Adobe's Mobile PDF reader with reflow capability.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I have a PRS-650, and I agree that it's PDF handling is a step up compared to the Nook and Kindle eInk devices, but there are compromises on ALL the eInk devices when it comes to PDFs, the Sonys included.

PDFs are designed to be rendered at a fixed page size, usually one much larger than the small screen available on compact eInk devices, and there is just no easy way to shrink them down for display on a smaller screen without messing up the formatting.

My PRS-650 is ok for plain text, which is reflowed reasonably well, but the placement of figures or formatting of tables gets mangled pretty badly if you try to reflow them.

As has been said, the Sony does use the official Adobe Mobile PDF reader, so as long as you set the font to 'S' (which is the Sony's way of disabling reflow) everything will look absolutely perfect, and it will stay that way as long as you only use ZOOM to make it larger, and stay away from turning on reflow by using the larger font sizes (switching to a larger font will activate reflow, which is fine for simple documents, but not for complex formatting, which is better handled by using ZOOM).

One nice thing about the Sony's ZOOM feature that does help a little though, is that you can just use your finger to drag the image around while it is zoomed using the touch screen.

The only hassle about using ZOOM is that you can only view a single page ZOOMed at one time, and working your way through a large document this way can be very tedious.

I have a small 10 inch Netbook PC with both Win7 and Ubuntu 10.04 loaded, and I use that for any PDFs who's formatting makes them difficult on my Sony.

I paid just $199 for my PRS-650 and about $220 for the Netbook, so altogether I still have less invested than most folks spend on an iPad or other high end tablet. I suppose someone might ask why not just spend a little more and get a iPad that can 'do it all'?.

Will the iPad let me read for a week or more without recharging and fit in a hip pouch like my Sony? Does it run both Ubuntu and Win7 giving me access to 99% of the serious applications on the planet like my Netbook?

The simple answer is that, for the kinds of things I am interested in, the combination of my PRS-650 and Netbook works about 500 times better than an iPad, and with freeware, and overdrive, virtually all of my software and books are free.

The Netbook is only about the size of a medium sized hardback book, and it packs a lot of power into that small package. It's great to be able to run full blown version of Adobe Reader and ADE, plus the full versions of applications like Office and Open Office.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
I would recommend you an iPad (even the 1st generation, is cheaper now) with the GoodReader application on it. It supports TOC or if absent, let you create one. It supports, annotations: text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks. You can even zoom 50x. Unbeatable on my opinion.

For linear PDF files or if annotations is not important for you, Kindle DXG.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote