Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
What's new in 1.8?

A number of you have asked for a detailed list of what is new in 1.8. Here are our official release notes, with my own commentary added in parenthesis:

- Support for richly formatted books, including images, when synching directly from Kobo (previously this was only available for sideloaded content. This works on the Desktop too, so you can read books with images properly on your PC/Mac without ADE)
- Support for Newspaper and Magazine subscriptions (Subscribe and sync via the Desktop app)
- Auto power off can be disabled in Settings (It will still 'blink' every few hours while sleeping to see if the battery is low so it can show the 'your battery is low' screen)
- Fixed a problem where sometimes content can display as locked (you should get much less content lock errors with Kobo synced content - this doesn't affect ADE books)
- Books will auto-update when a newer version is available (so if a publisher releases errata, or the book was bad in the first place, a sync will fix it)
- Books can be deleted from the library (in the menu, but only when in the Books view)
- Improved and updated User Guide (now included in your reading list)
- Sync speed is much faster (synching our ePub files is much faster than the previous XML format)
- Dictionary support (only for Kobo ePub format books added via sync. if you want it on the pre-loaded books, you will need the database update I posted to the forums)
- Ability to read while charging (when you plug in your reader, you now get a 'Manage Library' or 'Keep Reading' option. Choosing 'Keep Reading' will charge your device)

There are also a few hidden gems that my developers promise me you'll love, but won't tell me specifically what they are. Something about other file formats. Crazy developers.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Thank you!
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Greenhat
Enthusiast
Greenhat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thank you and thanks to your Kobo programmer team.
Tomorrow I will find one Kobo reader.
You didn't specify if you wee talking about Kobo wifi or the classic one.

Last edited by Greenhat; 12-15-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Greenhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
This update is for the Ko1 (original)
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
anidel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
- Dictionary support (only for Kobo ePub format books added via sync. if you want it on the pre-loaded books, you will need the database update I posted to the forums)
Ehm, where?

Please.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Ehm, where?

Please.
Umm, how about the thread labeled Database and SD Card Images for 1.8?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Don't forget to copy all files over to the Kobo, the instructions only mention Images and sqlite, do the kepub folder as well, that contains all the preloaded books, and you will have to resync again after...
OR......
C&P the contents from the zipped kepub to the Kobo kepub folder.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Thanks JC.

Easter eggs, okay, now making a collection of wierd file formats to see what works
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Thanks JC.

Easter eggs, okay, now making a collection of wierd file formats to see what works
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Ehm, where?

Please.
in new kepub books it will be above the next chapter button in menu

P.S thanks taming
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Something I noticed that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before. Open pdf documents show in the I'm Reading list.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
anidel
Zealot

So do the Newspapers
Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
- Books will auto-update when a newer version is available
This alone is reason enough not to upgrade. I do hope there is an option to disable the feature.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrioth View Post
This alone is reason enough not to upgrade. I do hope there is an option to disable the feature.
I'm pretty sure there is not. It's there so that when the Publisher or Kobo has fixed a known problem the book will update upon sync. I think it will also reflect changes in the meta data.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
anidel
Zealot

That is useful, but I would have liked for the Kobo to ASK me before putting in any errata corridge in my book, or, at least, tell me WHAT changed.
If I am in the middle of a book and I read the error already, this MAY alter my reading experience ...