Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
littlepixie12
littlepixie12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300 pocket edition
PRS 300 pocket edition - frozen! Need help please!!!

Hello there, my ereader is suddenly not working. It is the PRS 300 pocket edition and it is exactly one year old. Yesterday morning it was working fine on and then on my lunch break I turned it on to read and the screen was frozen on the home page saying "loading" with the arrows circling in the middle but frozen there. I kept it charged on my computer all day at work and it was still frozen by the time I got home. I did a soft reset but and it turned off and on but it still freezes on the home page. When I got home the battery died (but it was on two full bars that morning) and so I charged it overnight on a wall outlet. This morning, I unplugged it and it is still doing the same thing frozen only now it just turns off instead of staying on the homepage. I now have tried to connect it to my computer again to charge but my computer doesn’t recognize the device is plugged in and is not charging. The red light is on by the power bottom up top, so not sure what that means. It won’t turn on now either. Can you please help me? thank you!
littlepixie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
littlepixie12
littlepixie12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300 pocket edition
Update

So I have left my device connected to my computer throught the UBS cable that came with it for about an hour now and the red light is still now but all of a sudden my computer recognized the device and my folders popped on the screen for my ereader. I closed them off and my device now was USB on the top of the screen and USB connected on the bottom of the screen. I will let it charge for a few more hours before I try turning it on again.
littlepixie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for the update. My mother has a Sony 505 and this happened once to her. I think she let the battery drop too low, and when she tried to turn a page it stayed on "loading". She said it was still on half charged before it happened.

I still have no idea why it was stuck on "loading", but I tried to charge it with her computer, but it still said "loading". I do know that when our computer went into sleep mode that the battery would drain and not charge.

I just took her Reader home with me and used a wall charger to charge it over night. The next morning, when I unplugged it, it still said "loading", so I just left it on the table to see what would happen. Two hours later, it was up and running. I still have no idea what happened.

I hope you get yours up and running again. Keep us updated.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I had to send my friend's PRS 300 back to Sony because it wouldn't charge. I tried using the USB cable that came with the unit and plugged into my computer [which doesn't ever go into sleep mode] ... and no joy. Then I tried leaving it plugged into an AC USB charger ... for 48 hours ... no joy. It would turn on but give a "low battery" message.

I just got it back from Sony today ... and they had sent along a free AC charger ... but it doesn't plug into the USB port. It plugs into the small hole marked AC ... and while cumbersome, this charger works. The unit charged up nicely [it arrived at 3/4 charged ... so I topped it up.]

So ... if you're still having problems it could be that it's the type of charge that it's not liking.

By the way ... once I got it back I tried loading a couple of books, using the USB cord that came with the unit ... and my computer didn't recognize the unit at all although the unit itself showed that it was connected via USB. I swapped the original cord for one of my other USB cords ... and the unit popped up as expected ... so you may want to try another USB cord as well.

My friend had purchased this unit in early October ... so it wasn't very old in terms of her ownership.

Hopefully something here will help one of you.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote