Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Note II
Asus T91MT owners -- does this ever happen to you?

So I'm really happy with my T91MT. 95% of the time, it runs great. And then, every once in a while, it crashes, and the screen looks like the attached image. The only thing that fixes it is a re-boot. Sometimes it runs for days with no issue, and then crashes. Sometimes it crashes 10 minutes after booting up. I have not been able to find any pattern to this issue. I don't do anything really CPU-intensive on it -- mainly web surfing and reading the NYT in the Adobe Air reader. I have all of the bloatware uninstalled, Aero turned off, etc.

So does this happen to anyone else and have you found anything that minimizes the issue? If it doesn't happen to anyone else, I wonder if it would be worth having it replaced or repaired under warranty. It's just such a hit or miss issue, I don't know if a repairman would be able to replicate it to debug. Plus, I really don't want a replacement as I don't want to go through all the hassle of uninstalling the bloatware, etc.

Any thoughts / help appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02669.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	62833  
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
wow.......that's never happened to me. does it make a difference if your using battery as opposed to plug in? I mainly use mine on battery.............my guess is harware.
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I almost always use it on battery as well. Today I noticed it happened twice in a row as I was disconnecting the power cable, but other times, it has crashed right in the middle of an hours-long session on battery.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict

I got advice from another forum that it might be the RAM chip -- I had upgraded to a 2 Gb chip, and it seems the brand of chip can make a difference. So I've downgraded back to the original 1 Gb chip and we'll see how it goes. I use it for such easy tasks, maybe 1 Gb will be sufficient after all.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
mrkarl
Connoisseur

Could be ram........good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
It happened to me just once, don't know why. It scared the crapp out of me when it did.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
maxbookworm
Addict

Turns out it has something to do with the Super Hybrid Engine (SHE) conflicting with some brands of RAM chip. I re-installed my 2 Gb chip and uninstalled the SHE and now my little guy is now running perfectly
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
mrkarl
Connoisseur

interesting