Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
mhikl
Enthusiast
mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod touch
Am I living in Lala land or is Sigil really Nirvana.

Am I living in Lala land or is Sigil really Nirvana?

I came to this sight to figure out what was ‘wrong’ with Sigil.

Disclaimer:
Now I must point out that I am very lazy and the only things in life I find easy and natural are: sleeping, eating, resting, physical activities (not related to work), impressing dames (I think so anyway). All else is drudgery if it doesn’t immediately come quick.

I always find forums difficult. Its like a liquor store with hints of indulgence but all the bottles are behind doors within doors within doors. So, I quickly return to the easy things in life, or I try the thing I am trying to figure out at the moment (Sigil) and sometimes it is easier than reading the instruction manual or the labyrinth of a forum.

Here is What I Found:

Sigil seems to do everything for me. I just want a quick and dirty (easy) way to make .pubs and therein I want:
1. Clean text with highlighting (bold, italics) and varying sizing of print. WYSIWYG
2. Spacing between paragraphs and points without an actual spacing line. (dunno the term)
3. Chaptering
4. Pictures and graphics
5. Everything to work when I transfer my work to Stanza.

I tried Calibre and it was a dogs breakfast of tricks I am too lazy to figure out. Sigil does all of the above.

To me, Sigil is Nirvana. The banana tree, ready supply of beer and company with a bright warm sun glistening off the blue waters.

Am I missing something? If so, what?

Namaste,
mhikl
mhikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I use Sigil to edit my ePub books, and Calibre to manage my eBook library and to convert from one format to another.
Different tools for different jobs.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Kindle 3/WiFi Retired:Clie - UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post
I tried Calibre and it was a dogs breakfast of tricks I am too lazy to figure out. Sigil does all of the above...
I use Calibre to fix some issues with books I download, but for serious fixes I convert to ePub in Calibre and fix with Sigil, converting to MOBI for my Kindle3 with Calibre when done.

Sigil works well, but I'd hardly call it "nirvana". I can crash it at will using the Search & Replace function with certain extended ASCII characters and a spell checker would be a boon for finding a lot of the errors produced by poorly edited OCR scans.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Am I missing something? If so, what?

Namaste,
mhikl
Many things
No (add) Hyper links.
No Font size changes (not, misusing Headers)
No spell check (We all know this one)
No easy insert HTML entities
and dozens more.

Does this make Sigil Bad?
Hell NO.

I can wish for more
But I will take what I get and supply constructive feedback.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
mrmikel
Book Twiddler
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sigil is stuck with the various odd deficiencies of underlying software, found when you try to cut and paste and other particular operations. It will delete by accident using the menu but not by using the keyboard.

But it has gone from being almost so slow as to be unusable to being pretty fast and pretty much does things the way I would do them unlike MS Word. The spell checker is the big thing missing especially coming from OCR or PDF source.

For my small needs, Sigil works better than calibre since I never wanted a program to organize my books to begin with and always kept my own quixotic organization.

Hail Sigil we who are about to epub salute you!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
mhikl
Enthusiast
mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

As usual, I opened my mouth too soon. I had success formatting a practice document with a graphic (picture of my dog in disguise) chapter titles and doc titles in bold and different sizes. Perfect. Then all my real docs screwed up when I tried the same. Couldn't remember all my steps the next day. Wasted a day trying to retrace my steps.

Now, looking at both programmes I see their differences and purpose but I got a lot of good info from you guys from my dumb question.

Appreciate that no one made fun but pointed out my ignorance in polite form. I still find it very difficult to put all the details together and get quite frustrated but will trial on, and what a trial this is for me.

I was going to list all the good points from each contributor but will just express appreciations for the help.

Now I have to post another request because my Calibre has lost its icons and for the life of me and two hours trying to figure how to get them back in the programme, I am tired and frustrated. Hope I get as much help with it as I did with this post.

Namaste,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; 12-04-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: changed "thanks" - messes karma
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Thanks for the praise, but as others pointed out, Sigil still has its fair share of kinks. They're slowly being ironed out. For instance, performance used to be a major concern but now it's pretty solid.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
BJThornton
Writer
BJThornton began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lol, even if it isn't nirvana, there's nothing wrong with applauding ease of use when you find it. I just took up the Sigil recommendation a few days ago, and it pulled me out of a deep frustration about why I couldn't get a funky little square out of my epubs. Positivity posts FTW.
BJThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook mini
there certainly IS a lot of stuff which could be (and I think one day will) added to sigil
a lot of codepieces is surely adaptable from existing web editing software.

But it is indeed right to say that even as it is now sigil is a great piece of software sparing a helluva manual steps in epub creation for which we should thank Val on every possible occasion.
this being said: another bunch of karma 's on the way.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I am new to Sigil and so far I like it for editing my newly converted epubs, but the only thing I wish it DID have is a spellchecker (so I can correct any spelling errors that may have occurred during conversion). If there is one already, I haven't been able to find it.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Yes, Sigil is a great tool, only one of its kind (at least in the Linux world, AFAIK). It has a lot of potential, I think it'll reach even higher grounds over time :)
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
mhikl
Enthusiast

Sigil is coming as close to nirvana as I could ever expect. By adding a decimal increment to each save I can go back to a successful save and try, try again.

I am to the point where I have every formation I can think of working and tweakable, save for centring my images but I have ranted on about this in another post and here is for my praise of Sigil, not for its follies.

I do not mind the steps I have to take to make my precious prides of joy: Pages - TextEdit - html - .pub - 1.00 − 1.01 −1.02 -, etc. I’m getting quite quick, quieting the Sigil devils that rear their quirky heads.

I do my planning, writing and editing in Pages. Then I copy my perfect copy to TextEdit and from there, save to html. (The fact that I can do anything in html lifts my spirit and swells my head.) And then to Sigil I bolt, html in hand, to make my masterpiece.

(I hope Sigil does not go complex on me. To add editing features other than the few it has, only taunts the spirits that like to make life’s little headaches, migraines, and defeats the KISS factor.)

With each tweak to my Sigil submaster I add a decimal version. My second success (remember, my first success was a fluke that the envious gods of pride taunted me to begin this thread) took me nine decimal times to get straight (with a number of back counts I wont name). But success was such that my third adventure took only four decimal points with no back counts (and only one restart) and no errors, only tweaks to satisfy my perfectionist drive.

The uninitiated ebook poet might find fault with my skewed images and first blank page but I am delighted and hail this Sigil a worthy member of my Application folder.

And now I have a tyke to put to bed and a spirit to soothe with cogitation before I start my 4th Sigil.

Namaste,
mhikl