Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 doesn't litterjessie102 doesn't litter

Device: SONY PRS505
Screen Protector

Is the screen size of prs 900 and prs 950 identical such that screen protectors are inter-compatible?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Waba
Zealot
Waba doesn't litterWaba doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I'm pretty sure they are identical... That said. Screens seem pretty resilient. So I don't think you'd need one as long as you store/travel with a cover and are reasonably gentle.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
I wonder if the screen protector would interfere with the infrared sensors that sense any object near the screen surface?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Screen protectors are an unnecessary item which serve only to degrade the view of the screen. Screen protectors have been marketed for well over a decade going back to the PDA era. But to my knowledge, most screens have been too resilient to need them, and the Sony Readers are definitely in no need of them. If someone presses hard enough to scratch an eInk screen, then they are not using the screen properly or they are using a sharp-pointed stylus. Either way, it is user stupidity and not the quality of the screen that could be called into question. I would save my money and leave the screen as it is.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
jessie102
Addict

oil from your skin WILL accumulate on to the screen. Water is ineffective at dissolving it. Isopropyl might corrode the screen. Who knows what commercial screen washers do.

With a screen protector, you won't have to worry about any of this. Just wipe with the most corrosive thing u can find to your hearts content.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
jessie102
Addict

lets not forget the stylus will cause wear on the screen on time, no matter how lightly you apply it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Plastic tip on hard glass... hmmm especially as you don't actually have to even touch the screen with infrared sensors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
lets not forget the stylus will cause wear on the screen on time, no matter how lightly you apply it.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
jessie102
Addict

are you serious? Are you saying, you purposely take the hassle of aiming your finger or stylus to within 1-3 mm above the screen EACH time you use the touch screen?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No, I'm saying that after using it I barely touch the screen as a matter of course, sometimes I don't even touch it but the point I was making concerned the screen itself... it's a lot harder than the stylus... also if you check the detailed screen spec, it's actually repellent to oils etc... doesn't mean it won't accumulate finger prints but it does so a lot less than the 600...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
are you serious? Are you saying, you purposely take the hassle of aiming your finger or stylus to within 1-3 mm above the screen EACH time you use the touch screen?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Waba
Zealot
Waba doesn't litterWaba doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I probably applied 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol to my PRS505 almost 200 times... Never saw any screen degradation, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Just recieved my PRS-950 today, and just simply love it! doesnt seem to need a screen protector at all.. i will probably buy the cover for it but probably without the light because currently im reading in a dim room, and no probs.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I have mixed feelings. I tried some screen protectors with my PRS900 but they either decreased contrast or created air bubbles. I ended up not using one. Yet, for as careful as I have been (and I was VERY careful) I did scratch that screen in 3 different places over six months of intense usage.
I did not apply any screen protectors to the 950. So far, the screen is scratch-free (but, somehow, I did manage to scratch the gray bar above the buttons).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
jessie102
Addict

try these http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280593977504

they are great and affordable unlike TrueVue scams
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
jessie102
Addict

My Screen protector from eXim, finally came in today.

Those who claim the e-INK "glass" screen is safe from stylus scratches are quite simply wrong.

It has only been a month since I got my PRS 950, and today upon application of the exim screen protector I already see a scratch on it.

I'm totally furious and am tempted to get an exchange.

Those who claim that the screen is safe from stylus scratches fail to consider scenarios where small but hard particles (ie: sand) get between the stylus and the screen. When this happens there is a good chance the protective coating on the glass screen will get permanently scratched.

On many occasions, I have felt rough vibrations from the stylus caused by hard particles that get between the stylus and the screen leading to permanent scratches.

thanks a lot.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur

Id just be more careful when reading on a sandy beach.. but did you apply the protector, and does it mess up the touch sensor system?