Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My 650 impressions

Edit: 12/1/2010, 8:52

DISCLAIMER. THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL IMPRESSION OF THE 650 WITH VERY LIMITED USE (MAYBE 2 to 3 HOURS OF HANDS ON AT HOME, AND LESS THEN AN HOUR AT THE STORE). THIS POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE OPINIONS OF OTHER OWNERS. THE VAST MAJORITY OF OWNERS (MAYBE/MOST LIKELY) ARE VERY/COMPLETELY/TO SOME DEGREE HAPPY AND VERY SATISFIED WITH IT. SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION. AGAIN THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL IMPRESSIONS/EXPERIENCES. ANY/ALL/SOME PROBLEMS APPEAR TO BE/ARE UNIQUE TO ME.

---- Following is the original text ---

I brought a 650 as a gift, so following are my impressions. I've had a 505 for about two years and it's seen a lot of use.

Overall, I like the 650. It is a nice size, and responds quickly, the touch screen is very nice, and the UI seems reasonable.

I tried the 650 in the store, and it performed very well with no problems. When I got one at home, and used it a little bit problems started, and my opinion of it went down hill.

I have mostly LRF files, and I loaded about 50 onto the reader. In the 2 hours I used it at home, I probably had about 15 crashes that would happen at strange times. For example, if I went to a collection, pressed option, then pressed option again, I may get a crash. The only pattern that I can guess at is that I loaded a lot of books, and maybe it was doing stuff in the background and didn't like me doing stuff while it was busy (just a WAG). The crashes seemed to be more frequent early on and diminish over time. (FWIW, I also get crashes with my 505).

I'm fine with the Sony software on the PC, and even learned something new: you can use explorer drag files directly onto the reader (you don't have to add them to your PC library first).

IMO, I think the Sony software (on the reader) could be a lot better. Other readers seem to offer more. The Nook lets you pick between different fonts. The IPad lets you pick any font size you want. Other software let's you pick things like margin size, line spacing, ... I like the next and prev page buttons on the 650, but with my 505 I can read both left handed AND right; I found with 650, I only wanted to read holding it with my left hand. I don't like to swipe, and wish that they could add options to make the UI a little more configurable (like a single tap to advance the page).

I wish that charging was more universal. I wish I could just plug the USB into whatever and it would charge. I tried a hub, it didn't charge. I tried awallwart that worked with my Zune (the iPad wallwart), but that didn't charge. I tried a cellphone charger and that worked, but I don't think I could read while using the charger.

[EDIT]

I do not mean to imply that you cannot read while charging with a wallwart.

I was able to try the charger again, and I was able to read while charging with it.

Bottom line, IMO, if Sony wants the 650 to be a "premium" book reader, they need to step up and make a better product.

Well, that's my 2cents.

Also, is Sony planning on dropping the 650 line? It seems like the they are very limited at b&m (I seem to see the 350 around a lot, but not the 650). Also, accessories seem very limited at the B&Ms, and even a little hard to find online. I wanted a cover, and couldn't even find a "normal" black cover for sale on the Sony sight.

Thanks.

Last edited by John F; 12-11-2010 at 07:09 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The USB hub problem may be more of a hub problem... I have three hubs across different machines, two work fine and one doesn't (all using external PSU for hubs) whilst none work without PSU. Since the hub uses a little power and I have other devices attached, the non-PSU fail makes sense as there's only 500mA from the computer USB port to cover the whole hub use whereas using PSU should make 500mA available from every hub port.

As for chargers, well some work, some don't, that's why there's a whole thread devoted to the topic though there seems a general consensus that if it works for an Apple device then it won't work for a Sony eReader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wish that charging was more universal. I wish I could just plug the USB into whatever and it would charge. I tried a hub, it didn't charge. I tried awallwart that worked with my Zune (the iPad wallwart), but that didn't charge. I tried a cellphone charger and that worked, but I don't think I could read while using the charger.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Apple does something non-standard and any device that works like an iPod is non-standard no matter the port on the device. Most cell phone chargers that fit work.

I've not had any crashes on my 650. But I also have not read any books in LRF on it. But I have some and I have displayed thema nd they seemed good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The USB hub problem may be more of a hub problem...
I'm just a dumb user and expect things to work. The same hub charges a PDA and MP3 player.

I'm guessing a lot of people are upgrading from 500, 505, 700, and 600. Why not provide an adapter for these upgraders? (This is a rhetorical question)

The 650 could have been a slam dunk, but instead, I'm just as likely to purchase something other than Sony the next time I buy a reader. The Nook would be near perfect if it didn't have the LCD screen. The Kindle 3 was beautiful when I tried it (except for the keyboard and not supporting EPub).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
paaThaka
Connoisseur
paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
In the 2 hours I used it at home, I probably had about 15 crashes that would happen at strange times
Sigh.

Thanks for letting me know this.

I guess one just has to accept the fact that as these readers get more features, they become more crash prone.

But I really was waiting for something quite a bit more stable.
paaThaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650, Sony T2, Xoom, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Nook ST (x3)
I've had my 650 for just about 2 months and it has never crashed!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
edbro
Warthog Driver
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've had mine for about a month now and I've never had a crash. I have about 350 files on it but they are all epub.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've had a 350 for over 2 months without any crashes, and I have easily over 100 LRFs on it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
I've had mine for a couple of months and no crashes either!

I do have a PDF book that resists all efforts to recognize a cover image, but that's another story ....
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Apart from 4 books that refuse to recognise the cover image, mine has never crashed or had a bug
This is using epubs and PDF's
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
I have had an issue with covers, only on non-DRM books and mostly on my Kindle mobi files. Try a conversion in calibre from EPUB to EPUB. If that doesn't work then try EPUB to MOBI back to EPUB. I don't know why that makes the covers stick, but I have seen it recommended in several posts and it fixed the issues for me.

To the OP, I find the new models to be much more stable than my 505. The only issue I have had was a bad EPUB file that put my 950 in continual reboot until I removed it. I could read the file ok in calibre, but it crashed the Sony Reader Library software too. Do you think you might have any bad LRFs? Can you try removing your files and then reload a few at a time? Also after I load files, I go into each collection, list the books in cover view, and then scroll through each page to let the thumbnails refresh from small to large images. I have read others say that it helps speed up the loading / indexing process in the background.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaThaka View Post
Sigh.

Thanks for letting me know this.

I guess one just has to accept the fact that as these readers get more features, they become more crash prone.

But I really was waiting for something quite a bit more stable.
The 650 is stable. I have one.

If you read on the net, you will find all readers will have users who says they are having trouble. But it's how many people say this. I have not read (other then this thread) of such problems.

Now, did the OP reformat the internal memory just in case it needs it? Reset the 650?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
Quote:
In the 2 hours I used it at home, I probably had about 15 crashes that would happen at strange times.
Had mine for a month or so. It's never crashed. I use epubs and pdfs. No lrfs.

Quote:
The Nook lets you pick between different fonts. The IPad lets you pick any font size you want. Other software let's you pick things like margin size, line spacing
Yeah, the font size options is a weak point.

Quote:
I like the next and prev page buttons on the 650, but with my 505 I can read both left handed AND right; I found with 650, I only wanted to read holding it with my left hand. I don't like to swipe, and wish that they could add options to make the UI a little more configurable (like a single tap to advance the page).
Single clicking brings up the dictionary. I find it works fine.

Quote:
I wish that charging was more universal.
I picked up a $15 universal charger the other day. Works on the Opus. I reckon it'll work on the 650 too, though I haven't tried.

Quote:
I don't think I could read while using the charger.
Can you read while charging other E-readers?

Personally I have found the 650 to be an excellent device. I use the bilingual dictionaries, annotation and memo features a great deal (I use it a lot for research). Otherwise, if I was going purely for an ereader, I'd probably go for the cheaper Kindle.

Last edited by Rizla; 11-29-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have had an issue with covers, only on non-DRM books and mostly on my Kindle mobi files. Try a conversion in calibre from EPUB to EPUB. If that doesn't work then try EPUB to MOBI back to EPUB. I don't know why that makes the covers stick, but I have seen it recommended in several posts and it fixed the issues for me.
I've taken to converting books, even when Calibre indicates a cover pic already after an upload. With that one PDF book (Drinking Arak off an Ayatollah's Beard), I've tried resizing the pic, converting from PDF to PDF, etc. It shows up within the book as though it had been inserted as the new cover (as the second "page"), but the original generic image still shows as the cover.

Anyway, that's about the one "glitch" with my device, aside from the occasional page turn failure that everyone else experiences from time to time, too.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
revenant
revenant began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Me too, switched from PRS-505 after 16 months.

I had my PRS-650 1 month ago, heavy use, 200 books mostly epub and pdf, calibre.

Never crashed.
revenant is offline   Reply With Quote