Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I really doubt that the NC requires books to be in a particular folder on the sd card. Are you sure that is the case?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
MikeDiaz
MikeDiaz began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I really doubt that the NC requires books to be in a particular folder on the sd card. Are you sure that is the case?
When i physically moved them to the right subfolder on the sd card they now show up on the library section. So it appears that way.
MikeDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and if you move them back to the root, does it lose track of them?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #34
MikeDiaz
MikeDiaz began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Kovid i just realized that I had not run the startup wizard and that Calibre assumed I was using a standard nook and not a NC. Maybe that was the real issue of my problems?

Also the covers all seem to show once i convert from ePub to Mobi and back to ePub and then send that last ePub file to the NC. Maybe that issue goes away also when i transfer files in the future after having selected NC vs nook.

Quote:
MikeDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #35
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have found it does not matter what folder the books are in. I have them in the download folder after i downloaded them via the web browser and also in the dropbox folder and all covers show up :-)

iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #36
rboatright
rboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Yes. Myfiles/books works. /download works but the root does not.
rboatright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Conflicting information. I'm just going to leave the driver as it is until B&N fix the underlying bug.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #38
HDS7
HDS7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
i bought my girlfriend a nook color for xmas and shes been looking for days at how to get covers to work on her device for anything not purchased directly from the BnB store. i finally started looking for info about it this morning, and this is seriously the only thing that works! thanks so much Leday, although it is a hassling process, its well worth it. i really hope that Kovid will have some time to check into this issue with Calibre and submit a software update once this is fixed.
HDS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #39
HDS7
HDS7 began at the beginning.

Once and if B&N create updates for the Nook Color, where will those be available from?
HDS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
dct3416
dct3416 began at the beginning.

Leday's suggestion worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!!!
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #41
shaez
shaez began at the beginning.

... manually modifying the EPUB files to have them display the cover thumbnail

Hi everyone,

I just took my text editor, the good old zip/unzip commands and epubcheck program, comparing the EPUB files of two DRM-free books, one which displayed its cover thumbnail perfectly on my NC, and the other which did not.
After one hour of fumbling around, I could display reliably cover thumbnails on the Nook Color. Here is the method I used, in case you want to modify your EPUB by hand (it took me ~2 minutes per book, once I figured it out). This might also come handy for people writing EPUB gen SW for the nook color.
My nook color is not rooted and uses the 1.0.1 firmware.

In the OPF file metadata section, add one line saying

<meta name="cover" content="cover"/>

In the OPF file metadata section (assuming your cover image is in the images/cover.png file).

<item id="cover" href="images/cover.png" media-type="image/png"/>

The cover page does not have to be in the same folder as your OPF (but it can, I tried it).
I tried with png images and jpg images. For jpeg, both the .jpg and .jpeg extensions work.

Actually, the NC would stubbornly refuse to display the thumbnail of one file ("The wind in the willows" I got from feedbooks) unless I override the images/cover.png file by my own after doing the mods listed above. JPG would just not work for some unknown reason.

One thing to take care of when you do this: in some cases, there might already be an item with the id "cover" in the OPF file - usually it points to the xhtml of the cover page. When this occurred, I just renamed the id of the original cover item from "cover" to "cover-page", and updated the <spine toc="ncx"> section of the opf file to match the change.

I also tried a few variations on the metadata, changing the "name" and "content" attributes to various other names like cover-image, cover-illustration, etc., but only "cover" seems to do the trick. Too bad - I hoped I'd be able to use the unofficial recommendations found at http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-cover-images/ since it seems there is still nothing in the EPUB standard for covers - but actually the files I checked that seem to follow these recommendations do not have their cover thumbnail displayed.

Last edited by shaez; 01-22-2011 at 03:47 PM.
shaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
cam
cam began at the beginning.

This all seem so complicated. I find that if I select my book in calibre and click on the edit metada icon I can do the following when the "Edit Meta Information" window opens:
1. I select epub from the Available formats window.
2. I click on the book icon directly on the right of the epub you have just highlighted. The book icon is what "Sets the cover for the book in the selected format".
3. Send the ebooks to you device
( at this point I would very much like to post a screen shot of this but I do not know how. When I click on the picture icon it keeps asking me for a URL. the screen shot is on my desktop. Sorry I am a NOOB.)

I believe i can also do this in a batch edit meta data by clicking on the set "set from ebook file(S) under change cover at the bottom the the screen but I have not tried that yet.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #43
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
2. I click on the book icon directly on the right of the epub you have just highlighted. The book icon is what "Sets the cover for the book in the selected format".
I don't know what you're trying to do but all clicking on that book icon does is check your selected ebook format and set any cover it finds as the book cover used by calibre in the library view.

Doing this shows you what your Nook should find inside the ebook but it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread It doesn't change or set the cover inside the ebook itself.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #44
magall
magall began at the beginning.

For getting covers into the NC for non-native epubs i did the following as suggested earlier in this forum.

Click Convert and convert from non-epub to epub.
Check the Use Cover from Source file box
Click OK

Once the conversion is complete i 90%+ had to then convert the epub to epub, again making sure that the Use Cover from Source file box was checked.

After that i connected the NC and transfered the books and the covers where there on the NC, the same cover as showed in Calibre.

I had downloaded a lot of free epubs that did not display a cover in Calibre and went to Amazon, searched for the book, copied the image and pointed Calibre to the image on my hard drive. Then i did the above steps of converting epub to epub with the Use Cover from Source file box checked and a i now have covers showing on all my books on my NC.

I apologize to whoever posted the epub to epub trick as i don't remember who it was and thus cannot quote you and give you the credit you deserve.

my thanks though, it is nice to have proper covers showing.
magall is offline   Reply With Quote