Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
vbdasc
vbdasc began at the beginning.

Device: none
HTML to TXT and line breaks

Well, the HTML to text conversion in calibre apparently ignores the line break tags ( <br /> ), i.e. converts them to empty strings. As far as I understand, the reason for this behaviour is that far too many HTML texts tend to use the line break tags incorrectly, and this hack fixes the problem, allowing the text to reflow properly on any output device. However, I believe the <br /> tag should be converted to a space instead. Imagine the following snippet of HTML code:

cater<br />pillar

Every web browser out there will show you two distinct words, but Calibre will produce a text containing only one word - "caterpillar". And this is obviously incorrect. Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance.
vbdasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I haven't seen Calibre get rid of <br />. I think I've seen it get converted to <p></p> in some conversion pipelines, but not removed altogether.

You might want to post some example code that displays the problem you mean, or open a bug with an attached file at bugs.calibre-ebook.com for someone to look at it.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
vbdasc

Actually, it is quite easy to reproduce. Try to convert the following HTML file

Code:
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<p>cater<br />pillar</p>
</body>
</html>
to TXT and you'll see. I'm not opening a ticket for now because I don't think it's a bug, but rather a feature
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Ah, I didn't catch the fact that this was during text conversion. I would think that this is actually a bug. I doubt it has anything to do with it being mis-used in some html files.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Looks like a bug... I'll investigate later today (afer I get home from work).

Later Edit:

I've made a change that causes br tags to be replaced with spaces. I'll be pushing this change up probably tomorrow.

Last edited by user_none; 12-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
vbdasc

Hmmm, I installed 0.7.32 but the problem still persists... Why is that?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdasc View Post
Hmmm, I installed 0.7.32 but the problem still persists... Why is that?
Slight error on my part. I've pushed up a correction. Expect it in the next release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote