Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Why I switched back to the Sony Reader

My first foray into the reader market was the Sony PRS-300. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the more expensive Sony Readers and the Kobo wasn't anywhere near market (this was still the Shortcovers days), so I picked up a Sony PRS-300. It was fun while it lasted, but with the 5-inch screen, I found myself salivating at the Kobo reader when it was finally announced. So on May 1st, 2010, I rushed to Chapters/Indigo - on the morning of my wedding no less - to pick up a Kobo reader. (I wanted it for my two-week honeymoon). Upon first inspection, I liked it. It was clean looking, slick and simple. It loaded my Kobo books quite easily and the font sizes and options were a step up from my Sony. It was all good – at first. Then the flaws started to slowly emerge. Side loading books is FAR too difficult. I had a lot of books from the Sony Store and a few from the Toronto Library, so I naturally wanted to port them over to the Kobo. This meant loading some things through the Kobo desktop app and some things through ADE. Not horrible, but more difficult than it should be. Then there is the issue of wanting to get books off my Kobo reader when I was done reading them. Can't do it in the App, so off to the website I go. Delete from there, update my Kobo app, and then sync my reader. FAR too many steps. I considered skipping the Kobo app altogether, and loading everything through ADE, but why should I? The Kobo app should be as robust as the Sony Reader app. It functions more like iTunes. I load the Sony books, the Kobo books and the Library books into the SAME app, isn't that a (excuse the pun) novel idea? Then I have all my books in the program, and can see my entire virtual bookshelf. I don't need to worry about the convoluted process that it takes to manage things the Kobo way. I don’t particularly like having some books on the reader/desktop app and then others on the website that I have to download again should I need them. Call me greedy, but I want all my books in one place. I create a playlist in the Sony Reader app, drop all the new books as I buy them, pull out the old ones from the playlist as I read them, and sync it up. Simple management. Something that Kobo is missing in a big way.

I was poking around the MobileRead forums and read about an eco-credit program at the US Sony Style store and I was very intrigued. They will take any old reader and give you a credit of $75 towards the purchase of a new Sony Reader. With the release of the new Pearl touch-screen Sony-PRS 650 and an already planned trip to New York City for the weekend, I couldn't resist. I gave in my old Sony PRS-300, and got the $75 credit with no hassles (despite being a Canadian resident - they didn't care). The readers were also on sale, so with credit and taxes, I got a new Sony PRS-650 reader for $175. Granted, that is still considerably more expensive than the Kobo reader, and it doesn't have Wi-Fi, but the management of the reader is far better. I would rather spend time reading than managing the collection. Price is, however, a major consideration for most people and I agree wholeheartedly that Sony needs to do better in this department. But with the built-in dictionary, built-in translation software and ability to highlight and take notes, the Sony wins hands down.

I keep hearing promises that the Kobo 1.5 update is "coming very soon", but I am tired of waiting, and who knows what the update will bring? Even if the firmware is improved 300%, the Kobo desktop App will still be less-than-satisfactory so what does it really matter? My Kobo will be relegated to a desk drawer for now, although I will likely update the firmware out of curiosity when it finally comes out. I will continue to buy a large portion, if not most, of my books from Kobo and will consider coming back to Kobo in a few years when colour is standard (e-ink, that is), but for now, I'm quite happy with my Sony.
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
Thanks for the thorough comparison, Tb74!

I fiddled with a Kobo wireless at Borders the other day, and it still seemed as slow as the original. As for deleting books, well ... I'm kind of a perfectionist and like to delete the entire contents, not just the thumbnail, requiring my reader to connect (de-sideloading?).

Before the 650, the Kobo's advantage was the lack of library book (Epub vs. PDF) conflict. As with kosher meat-dairy, you couldn't have both types open on your Sony at the same time.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I can't quite get past the comment that you wanted an e-book reader for your honeymoon. Nothing better to do, eh?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: This one, and that one too
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I can't quite get past the comment that you wanted an e-book reader for your honeymoon. Nothing better to do, eh?
Yeah, me too, I had to smile. Mind you, on the morning of my wedding day, I did not want to get out of the pool to dress up. My dad was quite hysteric...

Edited to say : not that I regret getting married at all, or to THAT guy. 17 years later still liking him quite a bit (and that is a huge understatement !)
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Reading replies one would wonder why do they say that men always/only think about it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Okay, in fairness, it was because we were flying to Europe, and I wanted to read on the plane.
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: This one, and that one too
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb74 View Post
Okay, in fairness, it was because we were flying to Europe, and I wanted to read on the plane.
oh. No MHC for you then ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Have you ever tried to fit two average size people in an aircraft lavatory? I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Have you ever tried to fit two average size people in an aircraft lavatory? I can't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience.
It's not about the experience, it's about the bagde
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, sony 650