Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Greek Mythology - Which is the best?

I am looking for a book of Greek Mythology collections. The stuff I downloaded from B&N that were free, are from google, and either have words misspelled or missing, or it is not what I am looking for.

I love greek myths, and I am just looking for an Ebook that has them all in one set.

Any good suggestions? Need something Compatible with the Nook.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The classic work in that department is The Greek Myths by Robert Graves. It might also be published in some parts of the world as The Greek Myths and Legends. If I remember right, it's in two parts.

I have the paperback version, published by Penguin, but haven't read it for years. Do a search on http://ebooks.addall.com to see if it's available as an ebook.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Thanks I will do a search.
Found them, a little Pricey, but it is what I want. Thank you.

Actually looking into it, it seems as if it is more of a reference book than the actual tales. That is more what I am looking for. I remember reading one all the time in elementary school, but that was a long time ago. Unless this review/description I am reading is wrong.

Last edited by rock; 11-29-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I was in school, we had Bulfinch's Mythology. There is The Age of Fable (Greek and Roman), Legends of Charlemagne and The Age of Chivalry (King Arthur). Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
You might want to look at Edith Hamilton.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Rock,

You're right that the Graves book I mentioned is more of a reference work.

Have you considered taking a shot at Homer? The following thread might help you decide:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1244042
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
BenG
Wizard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
When I was in school, we had Bulfinch's Mythology. There is The Age of Fable (Greek and Roman), Legends of Charlemagne and The Age of Chivalry (King Arthur). Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.
I think these are available here at MobileRead.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Actually looking into it, it seems as if it is more of a reference book than the actual tales. That is more what I am looking for. I remember reading one all the time in elementary school, but that was a long time ago.
I must have read Sally Benson's "Stories of the Gods and Heroes" at least a dozen times when I was a kid. I loved that book, especially the illustrations by Steele Savage (what a great name!). Maybe that was the one you read in school. The book was written in 1940, and the copyright extended in 1968, so I'm not holding my breath for an e-book version.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
You might want to look at Edith Hamilton.
I second that.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
rock
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Rock,

You're right that the Graves book I mentioned is more of a reference work.

Have you considered taking a shot at Homer? The following thread might help you decide:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1244042
Of course, already have that though. I was looking for the stories, and most of the google stuff is horriblely formatted, and misspelled.

It maybe stories of God's and heroes, because I remember some drawings. Especially a Medusa one, as that stands out in my mind.

I had latin from 4th to 7th grade, and we read a lot of the stories.

Still love the NBC Mini Series The Odyssey. It was on Sci-Fi (now SyFy) a year ago in a complete sitting of four hours, and I watched it all. I really loved that, wish I could find that on DVD cheap, as I believe it is pretty expensive.

I actually ordered a hard copy of the graves book, I got the Complete collection, because I would like it as a reference. I also have the roman version of the odyssey (or was it iliad). Well not exact copy but similar, I forget the name starts with an A. Edit The Aeneid

Edit: Mythology! That was one of the ones we used for class. I wonder why that book NEVER came up when I did a search for Greek mythology! Edith Hamilton is definitely a pick up for me, though I doubt there is an E-book.

Though there is still another book I read a lot with drawings.

Last edited by rock; 12-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Might the book with the drawings have been something by Bernard Evslin? I was interested in Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology in grade school and I remember a lot of his books in the children/YA section.

There was also a rather nice series of coffee-table-type mythology books (about the size of a 15" laptop or so) from each region of the world with black and white illustrations throughout that might be a candidate, which I hope the not-so-local-library still has. I'll have to go check one of these days.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #12
ridethemaverick
ridethemaverick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 w/3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Though there is still another book I read a lot with drawings.
Was it d’Aulaire’s Book of Greek Myths, by any chance?
ridethemaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I think these are available here at MobileRead.
Yes, I see it in the mobi section of the ebooks download forum.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3
As I was just doing a search, I came up with "Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome" by E.M. Berens. It is available for free at various places ( unfortunately not here at MR). Maybe that would be worth looking at?
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I think Bulfhinch's Mythology is available at Project Gutenberg. Try that first and see if it fits the bill.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote