Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
texguy
texguy began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel
conversion from prc to epub problem

I have a 3 MB prc file that I want to convert into an epub for reading in my nook device. The conversion process stops at around 210 Kb file size. I tried to convert it into pdf format and it stopped at 600 Kb size. Both conversion stopped at around the same paragraph in the prc book. I enabled the debug output and saw that the entire prc book was read in the debug-raw.html file. Can anyone suggest what I can do the debug the problem further. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Tinh_Than_Bien.prc (3.03 MB, 190 views)
texguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there is most likely some markup/invalid bytes at the point where the document is being truncated. look at the html file in the debug directory to learn where it is being truncated
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

actually I tried converting your prc file and it resulted in a 4.5MB epub.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
texguy

Can you share what settings do you used?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy View Post
I have a 3 MB prc file that I want to convert into an epub for reading in my nook device. The conversion process stops at around 210 Kb file size. ...
You fail to mention what version of Calibre you are using and what OS you are running it on. That information might be helpful.

As a test I fed your PRC to my Calibre installation (Calibre v0.7.29 running on Windows XPsp3 with the extended language support installed, fonts & keyboards). The metadata looked fine in Calibre, no incorrect glyphs, and it converted fine, resulting in a modestly small 223k ePub. The ePub file displayed fine in Sigil (v0.3.1). The only flaw I detected was that Calibre's auto-generated cover page failed on some of the glyphs in the author's name.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
texguy

dwig,

I'm also using 0.7.29 on Windows 7 platform. If the file size is 223Kb then you have the same conversion problem as me. The file size should be greater than 3Mb. I could see at the stopping point there is a special byte, , that is the source of the problem. I am finding way to edit my prc file to remove this byte.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy View Post
dwig,

I'm also using 0.7.29 on Windows 7 platform. If the file size is 223Kb then you have the same conversion problem as me. ...
You're correct. I reviewed the ePub again and it does end in the 4th paragraph in what I take to be chapter 3 of part 2.

I reviewed the PRC (actually Calibre's MOBI version after import into Calibre) and found some interesting things. Kindle4PC really does a bad job with the glyphs, using two fonts and failing on several characters. Kindle Previewer, on the other hand, renders the document very well. I found only one bad character, the one you list as the character causing the break.

Last edited by dwig; 11-25-2010 at 02:28 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just converted it with standard settings from the command line.

ebook-convert filename.prc .epub
Old 11-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
texguy

thanks kovidgoyal, now I have to search for how to use the command line function.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
texguy

using the command line still got the result file of 230Kb, so I used hex editor to remove the offending byte from the debug html file and using Calibre gui to convert it successfully to epub. Thanks everyone for your input.