Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International
Time used for converting large .html?

Hello,

How long time is the Calibre supposed to use to convert a large .html file into .mobi?
I downloaded the complete reference manual (free legally off their homepage) for MySQL. It is a 14,7MB html document.
My Calibre is up to 45 minutes and running.
I first tried the .epub file (18MB) but gave up after 632 minutes. (Yep, that's correct, more than 10 hours). So now I'm trying the "easier" .html.

Anyone with experience on 10+ MB textfiles?

I'm using a netbook with Atom 1,67GHz processor and 2GB ram, 32-bit Win7.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
manonoc
manonoc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 & KINDLE DX GRAPHITE
well i transform an html tree into a mobi file
the html is 130-140 pages,with 500Ko of texte and 3-4 Mo if images.

the conversion takes 2-3 minutes
manonoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
The longest conversion I personally ran took about 15 hours to finish. And 15 MB of HTML is quite a lot. Give it time.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

15 hours?
OK, I'll give my file until tomorrow then. It is now 150 minutes and "stuck" on 47%.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
15 hours?
OK, I'll give my file until tomorrow then. It is now 150 minutes and "stuck" on 47%.
It is common to show 47% right up until it shows complete so don't let that discourage you. Its not so much the size of the html as it is the size of the CSS within the html. Odds are this was created using MS Word which ends up loading up any saved html with tens of thousands of lines of styling code.

You can always open up the jobs detail to see that it is in fact progressing.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

@dwanthny:
Thanks for your reply.
I know from earlier that the Calibre gets "stuck" at 47% (converting), at 67% (generating mobi) and at 98% (writing file).
Last time (converting from epub) I stopped it at 67% and just over 10 hours. My longest conversion prior to this one is abt 10 minutes.

Anyway, 210m 12s and it has come to 67% now
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

Thumbs down

404 minutes and 37 seconds on converting a 14,7MB .html file into a 29,4MB .mobi file. Then, the "code" tag was not converted and all the really important part of the document did not show!

I'm not very satisfied with the Calibre just now.
Ok, I'll give the .epub file another go through the evening and nigt and see.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
404 minutes and 37 seconds on converting a 14,7MB .html file into a 29,4MB .mobi file. Then, the "code" tag was not converted and all the really important part of the document did not show!
First I wouldn't expect the "code" tag to be converted it doesn't lend itself well to ereaders. Ereaders are designed to reflow and code tags fight to prevent any distortion of the the code.

For their epub version they might have used a different method to simulate a "code" tag but if they didn't then the text would either run off of the screen or reflow would screw it up. I expect the result of converting from epub to mobi will most likely be the same.

Mobi has limitations not seen in epub or HTML it seems to use a propriety implementation of html 3.2.

You might want to use Kindle's conversion service. They may have a more elaborate conversion setup.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

@dwanthny:
Thanks again for your answer.

To be honest, I am not sure what "reflow" means (as I'm not native English speaking), though I gather it may be some sort of "auto line change"?

Kindle conversion sevice? You mean send it to @(free.)kindle.com? Do they "chew" files that's 15-20MB, and then return a 25-30MB size .azw?
(If so, I guess I'll have to wait until I get home in order to not completely constipate our ships satellite internet for the next week )
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps you could explore other options.
Open html in word and save as rtf and convert the rtf to mobi.
convert to rtf or epub etc. and see if that works.
try another converter.

Calibre converted 95+% of 9000 files for me without a glitch.
Nothing short of miraculous in some cases

On the odd occasion it doesn't work I try to help it a bit.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote