Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #91
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Care, I did just that and was fine. Downgraded to 1.0.0, installed 2.5.0, done.
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #92
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
^^ Yes I would appreciate steps too. To go from a 2.4.1 to the 2.5.0 I wonder if we can just follow the last steps at NookDevs but use the 2.5.0. But I don't want to brick my Nook, so I would rather have NookDevs post instructions.
According to their "instructions" that last applied to 2.4.1, we should just download 2.5.0 and go. Does this imply that 2.5.0 has all the B&N 1.5 updates?

If not, then we need to go back to 1.0.0 the hard way, go to 1.5, go to 1.0.0 again, and then go to 2.5.0???? Then we have the painful question as to how to identify a nook with 1.5 and determine whether it is old socketed chip or new soldered chip.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #93
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

Device: Nook Classic, NOOKcolor, Nook STR, Galaxy S Fascinate w/Aldiko
Thanks dirtygreek!

So what is the main difference with the update, the faster page turns and darker font?

Last edited by Care; 11-23-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #94
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Does this imply that 2.5.0 has all the B&N 1.5 updates?
Yes, it does. Each nookdevs release is just the latest B&N release, with some tweaks and additions.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #95
Care
Guru
Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.Care has never been to obedience school.

I am trying it now.

Edit: Ok, so I just did steps 5 and on at NookDevs but copied 2.5.0 instead of 2.4.1.

Quote:
5. Copy the NookDevs.com 2.4.1 Softroot/ROM to your external SDcard (The one that isn't named NOOK).

6. Hold the power until your e-ink screen goes off.

7. Press and hold the "<" button on the right side of the nook, and then press and release the power button, while continuing to hold the "<" button.

8. You can release "<" once a screen appears indicating that your device is updating. Wait through the entire process and when you see a launcher screen, reboot once more.

9. After your nook boots, hold the touchscreen portion down to pull up the launcher menu. You can click "+" to add apps to the main screen here.

10. You're all done, now go watch some TV.
I think I notice faster page turns, and the font looks better (I think). I guess we don't get the cool thing where the authors name shows up and the books by them all follow?

Last edited by Care; 11-23-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #96
sjkevin
Connoisseur

I just got it running.

It doesn't have adb over USB; it's back to over wifi. (In which case, I'd prefer it if adb were disabled by default.)

Also, each time I go to the home screen, it asks me which launcher I want to use.
But following instructions here:
http://nookdevs.com/Mynook.ru_Launcher
I downloaded Home.apk from here:
http://code.google.com/p/nook-rus/downloads/list
and applied it like this:
adb push Home.apk /system/app
Which solved that issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #97
Thrasher
Zealot
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I'm note sure if it was mentioned here already, but swiping for page turns seems to be improved in 1.5 as well. While before it required significant rapid swipes across a large portion of the screen, now it is quite easy to swipe with my right thumb on a small portion of the screen.
The new swiping reminds me of the new Sony's. I'm really impressed with the new FW.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #98
Care
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I'm note sure if it was mentioned here already, but swiping for page turns seems to be improved in 1.5 as well. While before it required significant rapid swipes across a large portion of the screen, now it is quite easy to swipe with my right thumb on a small portion of the screen.
The new swiping reminds me of the new Sony's. I'm really impressed with the new FW.
Oh wow, you are right! All it takes is a tiny swipe. It will be so much easier to read one handed and swipe. I am frakking loving this update!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #99
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Excellent!!! Looks like B&N got it right, well, combined with the softroot! Can't wait to try this out tonight!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #100
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Regular, and with the new features I don't need the custom library.

The only thing I wish to see is Calibre supporting shelves
Doubtful since the shelves (reportedly - I'm not certain about this) reside in an SQLite? database that (just like the annot/highlight data) almost definitely resides on the hidden partition. Only rooted nooks have user access to the hidden partition. Since Calibre doesn't have access to the annotation data, I don't think it will for shelf data.

A million easy ways to make playlists (reading lists, collections, yada yada yada) - and then we have ... this
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #101
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS 505 Blue/iPod Touch/Epic 4G/Nook Classic
Anyone with the new hardware tried this rooted 2.5.0 update? It reboots continually for me, during "checking for updates"
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #102
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I was able to update it, but I'd like to have it stop having me select the the launch each time I go to the home screen, plus I had custom icons.

Using ADB I get "device not found" so I don't quite know what to do.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #103
sjkevin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Using ADB I get "device not found" so I don't quite know what to do.
This softroot image has gone back to using adb over wifi (the default, unfortunately). Also, the IP address on your home network has probably changed, since it's presenting itself to the wifi router as a new system.

Try:
adb connect <new_nook_ip>:5555
Old 11-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #104
sjkevin
Connoisseur

By the way, nookdevs has apparently given somebody access which they shouldn't have. A bunch of their wiki pages have been edited to link to web sites which attempt to install malware on your system.

"This Page Is Currently Under Construction And Will Be Available Shortly, Please Visit Reserve Copy Page CLICK HERE"

Ugh.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #105
sjkevin
Connoisseur

Never mind, they fixed it. That was fast!