Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
maurices5000
Connoisseur
maurices5000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony Reader was not as Easy!

Ok the Sony! I loved the touch screen but i had some issues playing with it in the store.

1) The top menu (which allows you to highlight and erase highlight and draw a line) disappeared and i could not get it to reappear. So I felt extremely limited.

2) I could not figure out how to save a note and edit it. It did not work.

3) I could not figure out how to play with the search features.

The Sony seemed much more complicated to operate than the Kindle. But i loved the touch screen.

Any suggestions as to what i might do?
maurices5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
1. its a bottom menu. The easiest way to highlight a word is to tap the word twice and then select highlight word (button looks like a highlighter).
2. Hit the physical options button then Notes>Create/Edit an use the menu options that appear at top.
3. Hit that same options button and select search then type in the word and hit the search button.

After using my parents kindle, I honestly think the sony is better for just reading but yes, if your not very tech savvy go with a kindle.

Last edited by deadgloves; 01-09-2011 at 09:19 PM.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Thanks very much. I'm going to print these instructions out and try them again at the store.

I noticed that the Kindle has a separate clippings file. When you highlight something or add a note, i think it is all stored in a clippings file. I think this is pretty cool. Does Sony have anything similar?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
Depending on which store you are at, the Sony's may be crippled. My experience at Best Buy was that most of the features were not accessible.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
maurices5000
Connoisseur

You are right. I think that was largely my experience too. The Nook even kept getting stuck. We had to restart it several times. But I'll give it another try. BB is the only store i know selling it.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurices5000 View Post
Thanks very much. I'm going to print these instructions out and try them again at the store.

I noticed that the Kindle has a separate clippings file. When you highlight something or add a note, i think it is all stored in a clippings file. I think this is pretty cool. Does Sony have anything similar?

Thanks!
Tap "All Notes" from Sony's home screen to view the notes made or sync'ed to the Reader. You can sort the entries in multiple ways (by date, by book, by type, etc.). The Sony Reader Library application also allows you to export a book's notes to your computer (open a book and click the page with a green arrow icon).

Kindle's My Clipping.txt holds a copy of each note, highlight and bookmark like log entries, in chronological order. If the book was a Kindle Store purchase, annotations are also copied to Amazon's servers and will follow the book each time it's downloaded. Server notes are viewable at https://kindle.amazon.com/home/welcome and your highlights will become part of the "Popular Highlights" feature, unless you opt out. Kindle offers no method of exporting a book's notes to your computer (although you can print from kindle.amazon.com or cut and paste from My Clippings.txt if you want to).

I prefer Sony's method, it works especially well when I'm annotating multiple documents for research or study purposes. On Sony, I use a pre-fix to categorize my notes and then I can sort them by comment to see all of the related notes across all of my books. I also appreciate being able to export my notes instantly.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote