Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
djulian
Addict
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Chapter Markers?

Hi,

So, new to Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi & Calibre. I'm working with PG files, adding illustrations, pagebreaks before chapters, building a TOC--all good on this stuff.

My unanswered question: How do you build/convert a file so that it has those useful little chapter markers on the progress bar and so that it lets me jump from chapter to chapter with the 5-way. Is this even possible with Calibre? Do I need different software? Sigil didn't make any sense to me, but then, I'm new to all of this.

Thanks,
djulian
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I am pretty much completely ignorant about the underlying structure of e-book files (other than they are basically html, I guess).

However, I do just what you are after by using Sigil and then converting over to mobi.

If you use Sigil and mark chapters with it (it's the drop down box in the top left corner) then when you import the resulting e-pub into Calibre and convert, you get the little chapter marks on the Kindle and can skip.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the chapter markers are dependent on proper table of contents detection. If you setup the table of contents detection correctly and set the output profile to Kindle, the chapter markers will be created automatically.

Read the table of contents section in the conversion part of the user manual.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
djulian
Addict
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the chapter markers are dependent on proper table of contents detection. If you setup the table of contents detection correctly and set the output profile to Kindle, the chapter markers will be created automatically.

Read the table of contents section in the conversion part of the user manual.
And this is where I was goofing it up. Thanks for the help! It works now, and the recent upload of A Study in Scarlet has it right.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote