Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(Off to try Kobo, next. And to verify where Aldiko puts its stuff.)
Had a hard time figuring out how to get stuff into Alkido.
The only way I have found out so far - put stuff into the following folder - "sdcard/eBooks/import" and use the import function from there.
The books are then imported into the same folder.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #32
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Re: fjtorres's review: I too have issues with Aldiko import, and would prefer if I could simply browse to the folder in which I stored my books and fics. Laputa couldn't open it's sample book in my case either. I also agree that, ideally, we should be able to select a file which would then be opened by it's native application. Of all the reading apps I tried, I am most satisfied with Moon Reader, which reads txt, html, epub and zip files. Beam reader turned out to be an excellent pdf reader, better than Adobe's reader, and AVC makes the IQ a great comics reader. I am also waiting to see/hear text to speech, which I hope will be more human sounding than what I usually hear.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #33
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Re: fjtorres's review: I too have issues with Aldiko import, and would prefer if I could simply browse to the folder in which I stored my books and fics. Laputa couldn't open it's sample book in my case either. I also agree that, ideally, we should be able to select a file which would then be opened by it's native application. Of all the reading apps I tried, I am most satisfied with Moon Reader, which reads txt, html, epub and zip files. Beam reader turned out to be an excellent pdf reader, better than Adobe's reader, and AVC makes the IQ a great comics reader. I am also waiting to see/hear text to speech, which I hope will be more human sounding than what I usually hear.
I love Moon reader! Works really well on the IQ too, of all the apps I tried (Aldiko, FBReader, Kindle, Laputa) it is the one I like the best.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sounds like my cue to try Moon Reader.
Off I go.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
OK, there is a - I wouldn't call it a problem, but it definitely gave me a start: originally, when I opened the Library, all the books were listed together. As I have thousands of fics which range from 100-word drabbles to 50,000 word multichaptered fics, plus some fiction and textbooks I transferred to the SD card, plus those free books that came with the device, I thought this would make the Library useless to me.

That is, until I remembered to check the menu and see if folders were enabled. So I would recommend you check the settings before flailing about like I did.

It does feel like it's faster after the update. I'll see if that's true regardless of the number of files on the card.

Also, for those who don't like leaving fingerprints all over the screen, I just discovered that Derwent rubber shaper used in charcoal and pencil drawing can be used as a stylus.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #36
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
Had a hard time figuring out how to get stuff into Alkido.
The only way I have found out so far - put stuff into the following folder - "sdcard/eBooks/import" and use the import function from there.
The books are then imported into the same folder.
Save your time: there is no other way.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
For those who like to read RSS on the go, I recommend Pulse.

It takes a bit to update the feeds but It is a great app.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GReader Pro is fantastic IMO. I paid for it just because it was so good.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #39
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Save your time: there is no other way.
Anyone know where those books are going? I see only a .db file in the Aldiko folder on the sd-card. are they going to the internal card? I don't want to hack, just know.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #40
Logseman
Orisa

if I recall correctly, they went to another folder called books or Ebooks or something similar.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #41
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
ebooks actually.

which formats does Greader read?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #42
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
ebooks actually.

Yes, it's in ebooks. To import to Aldiko, you have to put in ebooks/import and when importing them, Aldiko, gives them the Calibre treatment i.e. making folders with the author's names, subfolders with the title, and special copy of the cover. The thing is administrated in Aldiko folder with a .db file, so Aldiko can reestablish an Aldiko bookshelf for every SD card. This whole thing does not take too much space and is fast so I can live with it

Kindle reads .prc files that you put in the kindle folder and ereader the .pdb files you put in ereader folder. PB reader seems to scan the whole SD-card and displays the books it can read (books in kindle folder are not displayed) Do I have my facts right here?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alas, Moonreader is a no-go.
Fed it my test file and discovered it loads chapters one by one and only loads chapters. So there is a disrupting wait between chapters. (No background loading?) Worse, the test file had an intro before the first labeled chapter and it is unreachable.
Seems like these folks don't actually read wirh the readers they cook up.
The Pocketbook reader is improved but still sub-par.
Won't open anything but ePub.
The dictionary interface inside is good to have but clumsy and slow, which is (again) odd, considering how sleek and smooth it is is the eink readers.
Definitely does not look to be the work of the same guys.
At this rate of improvement, I expect it'll take two-to-three more iterations to get the reader app worthy of the Pocketbook name.

(Expectations are a she-dog, right?)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #44
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
ebooks actually.

Greader? You mean Google reader? It's an rss news reader.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Kindle reads .prc files that you put in the kindle folder and ereader the .pdb files you put in ereader folder. PB reader seems to scan the whole SD-card and displays the books it can read (books in kindle folder are not displayed) Do I have my facts right here?
I think so; that is my experience.
Kindle is tidy and keeps everything in the one Kindle folder and doesn't peep if you swap SD cards.
Aldiko just dumps stuff all over the place. FBReader also creates several hidden folders all over.

It looks like the PB Reader launches a process at boot that scans and indexes the entire file system for epubs. I've been manually shutting the process down because it slows down the IQ something fierce and eats up so many CPU cycles other apps and widgets (especially the PB Widget) start getting unresponsive at the OS level and I start getting the alert boxes.

I normally use a 256MB straight SD card for updates on my readers and with that card (with only three sample ebooks on it; one prc, one epub, one pdf) the IQ is fast and smooth. With the "production" 16GB SDHC card, it gets sluggish as the index program gets bogged down trying to index every one of the 30,000 files on the card. (The big card I've been testing with has a copy of the Black Mask folder in it with 25000 epubs.)

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but the eink readers just use the file system
as an ebook database. No indexing, no internal database. No background process is needed and certainly nothing that eats up resources like the IQ Reader's spawn thread. Considering the bookshelf only lets you sort by author, title, or date; just as the eink bookshelf, there doesn't seem to be much payoff to the hungry-thread approach.

I would humbly suggest a rethink.
Or at least a warning if this is a one time thing.

Back to testing.
Hopefully, in a day or two, I can get down to *using*.