Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #61
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 173
Karma: 392
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Thanks bbz_ghost, exodus1999 and baki no kami,

After a bunch of tries I was able to convert a mp4. As was stated the latest version of handbrake did not work, I needed to use the beta. Also I needed to reboot the nook.
Need to ask a dumb question. How do you reboot the nook? I tried holding the power down for 5 seconds, release and then hold the power down again for 2 seconds as some have instructed. But the nook comes back on immediately after I pushed the power the 2nd time so I don't even have a chance to hold it for 2 seconds. I am not sure if I am doing the rebooting correctly.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #62
bbz_Ghost
Member
bbz_Ghost doesn't litterbbz_Ghost doesn't litter
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 100
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Considering a Nook Color...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Need to ask a dumb question. How do you reboot the nook? I tried holding the power down for 5 seconds, release and then hold the power down again for 2 seconds as some have instructed. But the nook comes back on immediately after I pushed the power the 2nd time so I don't even have a chance to hold it for 2 seconds. I am not sure if I am doing the rebooting correctly.
I could be wrong on that but it's the technique that I've seen mentioned most of all - the User's Guide says hold it ~3 seconds, choose Power off on the option that appears onscreen and then wait for it to power off.

I believe it's rebooted by holding the power for 15 seconds or more, then you get the power off option. Damn, I swear, I wish I had a Nook Color right now.

It'll probably be February before I can manage to get one... crap. CRAP!

As for a sticky, I'm working on the guide which should hopefully be the better candidate for such a topic depending on how things work out. If it does, great, if not, no big deal I suppose. As long as someone out there is able to start making great looking videos (with audio, of course) for their Nook Color, it's worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Anyway, if my original movie is only 720 x 480...how are you bumping UP the resolution?
I'm not - I did mention that the clips I had made (aside from the Harry Potter one) came from HD file sources, movie trailers in 720p format (they're originally about 1280x544 resolution). The only way to get files to "max out" at the 848 pixel wide limit - again, it's a math thing even though the Nook Color supports up to 854 pixels wide - is if your source material is larger than that in terms of resolution.

Native DVD format resolution is 720x480 max (NTSC in North America, PAL in other parts of the world is 720x576 iirc.

So the best you'll get from converting an actual DVD to an mp4 or m4v file (same basic thing as far as playback is concerned) is 720 pixels wide, and the height will be determined by the aspect ratio of the source material. There's no way to "upscale" videos during the conversion process - that would create a lot of artifacting and is generally regarded as a very bad thing to do.

The Harry Potter clip came directly from my retail Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire DVD ripped to my hard drive, hence it's 720 pixels wide natively and the aspect ration brings in the height at 304 pixels.

Let the device itself do the upscaling as necessary which is what happens when you play a 720 pixel wide clip and it plays full screen anyway.

Last edited by bbz_Ghost; 12-02-2010 at 04:37 AM.
bbz_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #63
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded
 
nyrath's Avatar
 
Posts: 281
Karma: 52007
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Need to ask a dumb question. How do you reboot the nook? I tried holding the power down for 5 seconds, release and then hold the power down again for 2 seconds as some have instructed. But the nook comes back on immediately after I pushed the power the 2nd time so I don't even have a chance to hold it for 2 seconds. I am not sure if I am doing the rebooting correctly.
I had trouble with that as well. I'm not sure, but I think the key point is to minimize the time between the 5 second hold and the 2 second hold.

That is: hold for 5 seconds, release for a tiny fraction of a second as you immediately start the hold for 2 seconds.

You know you have rebooted when the screen goes black and you get a message about the Nook starting up. If the nook comes back immediately it has NOT rebooted.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #64
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 151
Karma: 1002968
Join Date: Dec 2008
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz_Ghost View Post
I'm not - I did mention that the clips I had made (aside from the Harry Potter one) came from HD file sources, movie trailers in 720p format (they're originally about 1280x544 resolution). The only way to get files to "max out" at the 848 pixel wide limit - again, it's a math thing even though the Nook Color supports up to 854 pixels wide - is if your source material is larger than that in terms of resolution.

Native DVD format resolution is 720x480 max (NTSC in North America, PAL in other parts of the world is 720x576 iirc.

So the best you'll get from converting an actual DVD to an mp4 or m4v file (same basic thing as far as playback is concerned) is 720 pixels wide, and the height will be determined by the aspect ratio of the source material. There's no way to "upscale" videos during the conversion process - that would create a lot of artifacting and is generally regarded as a very bad thing to do.

The Harry Potter clip came directly from my retail Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire DVD ripped to my hard drive, hence it's 720 pixels wide natively and the aspect ration brings in the height at 304 pixels.

Let the device itself do the upscaling as necessary which is what happens when you play a 720 pixel wide clip and it plays full screen anyway.
Just to be sure on your last sentence...the player should be filling the screen? Because mine definitely doesn't for the movies I converted last night (but previous ones are fine)
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #65
steffner
Junior Member
steffner began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: Nook Classic, Nook Color
I have a question for you guys. Have any of you been able to burn a copy of LOTR and have it play on the NC. I've tried 3 different programs (Handbrake and WinXDVD and a third which I can't remember the name of). Handbrake will not even recognize the disc and the other 2 will copy the movie but when I move it over to the NC it says that the file is unplayable. I've tried about every MP4 resolution including some of the recommendations from this thread with no luck. I do know that the disc has some sort of .exe file that it wants to install to play the files but other than that, I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Stephen.
steffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #66
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 173
Karma: 392
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz_Ghost View Post
As for a sticky, I'm working on the guide which should hopefully be the better candidate for such a topic depending on how things work out. If it does, great, if not, no big deal I suppose. As long as someone out there is able to start making great looking videos (with audio, of course) for their Nook Color, it's worth the effort.
What happened to the guide that you made for the NC? The thread appeared for one afternoon and then I couldn't find it anymore. The instructions you gave for converting DVD for view on the NC was great. A lot of my co-workers are so impressed that they are going off to get the NC themselves. The video clip that I made from the DVD is obviously inferior to the HD qualify video clip that you made for the "Green lantern" and "Megamind". I have a couple of Blu-ray DVDs but I don't think DVDdecrytor works for them. I'll have to do more research in this area to see how this can be done.

Thanks again
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #67
Souzou
Junior Member
Souzou began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: Nook Color
Great thread, very helpful.

But has anyone else had difficulty changing the width or height in Handbrake? No matter what I try, the picture tab is completely greyed out, even the Anamorphic line. It won't let me edit or change any features. The other tabs work fine.
Souzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #68
Amafan
Member
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 742
Join Date: Nov 2010
Device: Kindle3
Cucusoft

I used the Deluxe edition of Cucusoft used the native iPad settings to convert some material to H.264 MP4. All the videos worked great on the NC.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #69
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 151
Karma: 1002968
Join Date: Dec 2008
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amafan View Post
I used the Deluxe edition of Cucusoft used the native iPad settings to convert some material to H.264 MP4. All the videos worked great on the NC.
I have this as well, but must say that Handbrake is MUCH faster!
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #70
AbsentSpoon
Junior Member
AbsentSpoon began at the beginning.
 
AbsentSpoon's Avatar
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: NookColor
Okay So now Im going to ask a Noob question.
If I want to edit a DVD to play on my NC do I have to first burn the DVD to my computer using DVD decrypter or another program and then edit in Handbrake? I cant get Handbrake to access the VOB files that are on the DVD to edit..
AbsentSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #71
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,460
Karma: 1506190
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Device: iPad Air; Kindle PW2, Fire HDX8.9; Lenovo Tab S8; Kobo H20
DVD Catalyst 4 (NOOKcolor Setting)

Just found this on a B&N forum. Person says there's a one-click conversion process with the NOOKcolor as a device choice. It's Windows based, but I know many Mac folks use Windows on their machine.

Quote:
My husband downloaded a program called DVD Catalyst (I think it was around $10) that rips DVD's for a variety of devices. He's been using it for months to put movies on his Droid X, and it just added a setting for Nook Color to automatically optimize video files for us. It has worked PERFECTLY and now I just need a bigger microSD card so I can carry around more of my favorite movies and shows!
http://www.tools4movies.com/
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #72
rams
Junior Member
rams began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: nook color
Wow, this is exactly what I've been having problems with! I'm trying to sideload .flv videos that I have downloaded from YouTube. What video format did you start out with?Any suggestions on the .flv?
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #73
rams
Junior Member
rams began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: nook color
OK bbz_Ghost, you obviously have forgotten more than I'll ever know about video formatting, encoding, etc. In a work, awesome. Everything you have posted makes sense, I've tried them, and they all work flawlessly. Now I want to create my own videos starting out with something simple like a youtube video downloaded using YouTube Downloader. It seems the default extension is .flv (whatever that is...). No matter what I try I can't seem to get Handshake to spit out anything that works on my rooted NC. Any suggestions?
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #74
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
OK bbz_Ghost, you obviously have forgotten more than I'll ever know about video formatting, encoding, etc. In a work, awesome. Everything you have posted makes sense, I've tried them, and they all work flawlessly. Now I want to create my own videos starting out with something simple like a youtube video downloaded using YouTube Downloader. It seems the default extension is .flv (whatever that is...). No matter what I try I can't seem to get Handshake to spit out anything that works on my rooted NC. Any suggestions?
he had a great thread on how to do the video but the mods closed it for who knows what reason.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #75
rams
Junior Member
rams began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: nook color
Got it! Using .flv file and the default HandBrake video settings (720x400), changed audio settings to 48 Khz/128kbps and it worked fine. Still couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!
rams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Color: Tips For Displaying Sideloaded Book Covers On NOOKcolor SCION Nook Color & Nook Tablet 207 08-30-2012 11:13 AM
Time to separate Nook & Nook Color forums! bugeyed Nook Color & Nook Tablet 27 05-20-2011 04:05 PM
Nook iPhone Sync of Sideloaded ePubs? absurdsequitur Barnes & Noble NOOK 4 11-30-2010 05:35 PM
Oil-based color pixels could let you watch videos on e-paper Hadel News 3 07-28-2010 06:13 PM
Classic Videos of my Nook with nookLauncher mos Barnes & Noble NOOK 29 03-17-2010 10:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.