Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Refurb Nook - Are they Sold in B&N Stores? Also, experience?

Ok, I am impulse buying here lol.

I am trying to get as much info as I can, as I was dissapointed on how my EzReader ended (yes I was offered to send it back for a new one, about 3 weeks after I emailed customer service, only to read horror stories that even with their new ones, same thing happened).

I loved it though, and I want a new Ereader. Mostly because of the new Camp Half Blood series lol.

Nook is slowly winning me over, though I may go with the wifi only version at the moment, but I saw refurb on Buy.com and it says it comes from B&N, and was wondering if the stores sold them Refurb? I am going to the store tonight, but be nice to know if anyone has bought one like that.

Also any experience, like any issues, or anything like that. Thank you.

I just called B&N and it is online only.

So has anyone order the pre-owned ones? the 3g is $119 and is really really tempting.

Last edited by rock; 11-19-2010 at 12:05 PM.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3G, iPad Mini, Nexus 7
I ordered the wifi one from buy.com for $99 and returned the $149 brand new one from best buy. Besides being, $50 cheaper, you couldn't tell the difference between the new one and the refurbished one.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

I am debating on 3g is worth it. and I know everyone will say it is, but not sure. I can get one now from someone who has a warranty, and everything for 100. So in my hands now, with a warranty, and no tax. Just no 3G
Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I am debating on 3g is worth it. and I know everyone will say it is, but not sure. I can get one now from someone who has a warranty, and everything for 100. So in my hands now, with a warranty, and no tax. Just no 3G
3G will depend on your reading habits, if you like things anytime, anywhere, then it's worth it. If waiting to get to your computer or a wifi spot is no big deal then save yoursellf $50
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
My $99 wifi nook came last night. Purchased at Buy.com, used Amazon check out, and shipped from B&N. Looks great. It even works.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
rock
Addict

Yeah I went and bought Wifi from someone. Will get it in the next hour. So let you know how that works out. I can always purchase something using the Nook app, or I could use the bagel shop that has wifi at my job. I mean really I am not going to buy books on the train, and my phone does web browsing just fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3
The 3G version seems to be more likely to be an older model, just due to the fact that they have been on the market longer. The WiFi models seem to be almost new. The reports from B&N say they had case issues and these are repaired so with new cases they look new. My 3G was older and when I looked at the insides I could tell, but with a new warranty and the rare ability to softroot easily, I am happy.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
leighprefect
leighprefect began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
As an employee of the company, we were offered discounted refurb 3g units. I've had mine since August and have never had a problem. Do it.
leighprefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
I got in on the $99. Certified Pre-Owned 3G Nook & mine is the newest hardware. At least judging by the serial number 10035*** & fw 1.4.3. Looks new & works fine.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
teachbap
teachbap began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I am going to buy a nook so the info here is great. What does softroot mean? How technical do I need to be?
teachbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3
Softrooting is the process of adding an additional set of applications to the internal memory card. The primary reason for doing this is that the current applications do not meet the needs of the user. Some do this because of the interest in messing with hardware. The current library application that comes with the nook is absolute crap when it comes to the sideloaded content (non-B&N books) so for many of us, the nook would be worthless without softrooting.

If you get a nook with 1.4 firmware the process is pretty easy but the instructions are not complete and have a lot of out of date information. For the newer firmware, the process is much more complicated.

The odds of getting the 1.4 firmware are slim and only apply to the refurbished nooks sold at buy.com and others so it would be better to wait until the 1.5 firmware comes out and see if they solved the library problems. B&N knows this is an issue and they have somewhat addressed it in the color model, but it will be a few weeks before we see if they fixed things for the older model.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #12
teachbap
teachbap began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you for softrooting info...

"If you get a nook with 1.4 firmware the process is pretty easy but the instructions are not complete and have a lot of out of date information. For the newer firmware, the process is much more complicated."

Swell! I have just ordered a nook, and I will continue reading here for solutions--and look for someone who will just do it for me...LOL..and the adventure begins. I used to really enjoy technology, but now I just want the darned thing to work well. I have liked what I have seen with nook, so here's hoping it all comes together and works.

I do appreciate the info.
teachbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi), iPad
As I've decided to get a K3 for my daughter for Christmas, I've also been bitten by the ereader bug and have decided to get a CPO Nook for me... just to cover all the bases!

I'm waffling on the 3G for both devices and don't want to be in the boat of wishing later on that I bought something different. But we have wifi at home and most everywhere we congregate. I can only think that the 3G would be useful during a road trip. While I'd likely be driving, my daughter could possibly benefit.

Part of me wants to save the money ($70 between the 2 devices) to put into accessories/books and part of me wants to go with 3G.

Can you help me put the nail in the 3G coffin? Or should I bite that bullet too?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
rock
Addict

Here is my thing with 3g, how often are you going to be like, I want to download a book right now on public transportation/etc.

I have a phone I can just purchase a book on my Droid. And when I hit a wifi spot, the book is automatically added to my nook (at least what I have seen so far). Also if you are at work, and go on B&N's website, just hit download now. And once you get on Wifi with your nook, the book is there to read.

Also I am thinking about rooting my phone to make it a hotspot so I cover all my bases.

Also I think a 3g refurb is only 119. Can't go wrong if you really need 3g. I am not going to use my nook to browse websites, so really 3g is if you are never near a wifi spot. I live in Philly, and work in Center City, where there are hotspots everywhere.

O and I LOVE THE NOOK!. Also 1.5 made Page turning insanely quick it seems. I am really in love with this, a lot better than my Ez Reader PP I had.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melonspeedlever knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi), iPad
I spent some time at B&N today playing with the Nook (and the CNook as well.) I really wanted just to check on some accessories, but ended up spending most of my time playing.

We took the CNook outside to see how it was in the sunlight. In a word... awful... but it was fast and really nice inside the store.

The Nook was great in the sunlight but it just felt clunky to me. I was struggling to like it. And it was running 1.5.

I struggled with it thinking I could get a landscape view, but couldn't find a setting to do so. The very helpful store clerk said it won't do landscape. Rats, I could have sworn I'd seen that somewhere.

After that I stopped by Staples and played with a K3 for a minute. As much as I want to, I cannot warm up to the Nook. I'm kinda ticked off because I thought I had this all figured out.

Now my dastardly plan is in disarray. Really.

Edit: as far as 3G is concerned... I believe you are right and I'm leaning to just the wifi version only. Now I need to sort out the K3 and library book issue. Ugh.

Last edited by speedlever; 11-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote