Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Race (an inspiring story for left-handers) - and their parents

Growing up as a left-hander I was well aware of some of the problems encountered by using tools and utensils designed for right-handers, but there were also occasions when I just felt I was clumsy and did not realise it was my left-handedness that was causing the problem. The Race was written with this in mind, and at the end of the story I have included information for parents and teachers.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D30CIJU
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D30CIJU
The Race
By
Janet Hurst-Nicholson

Vicky is left-handed and teased for being clumsy, but a visit from her Gran changes everything.

Vicky’s Granddad has died and her Gran is coming for a visit. Vicky wants to cheer her up by embroidering a cushion as a gift, but because Vicky is left-handed she struggles to learn how to sew. She decides that winning a race in the school sports might be a better idea – but can she do it, especially when Graham threatens to spoil all her plans?

The story highlights some of the challenges faced by left-handers.

At the end of the book is advice on how to help left-handers; how to tell if a child is left-handed; the correct way for a left-hander to hold a pencil and to slant the paper; famous left-handers; percentage of the population who are left-handed; career choices for left-handers and cultural issues for left-handers.

(Apologies for it only being available on Amazon. The other outlets require US bank accounts or PayPal, which I can't access where I live)

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-08-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: fixed link
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Being left handed (like all the best people) I thought I'd look at your book. But I'm afraid the link to amazon.com doesn't work and I couldn't find The Race in the Kindle Store.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
pdurrant
Santa Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
I've fixed the link.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've fixed the link.
Thanks, Paul. It wasn't free anymore, but I bought it anyway. Us left handers have to look out for each other.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for fixing the link Not sure why it didn't work as it worked when I tried it in the original post.

I've just had feedback from a school where they have been reading the book to the children. The teacher said the class was spellbound and at the end one little boy thrust his hand up to exclaim excitedly, "I'm left-handed." Apparently his handwriting is appalling, but now that the teacher has read the notes at the end of the book she realsies that left-handed children have to be taught a different way of writing and not merely be allowed to write with their left-hand. She asked my permission to photostat the notes to distribute to all the teachers.

It was worth all the effort of writing, illustrating and publishing just to know that I have helped at least on left-hander
Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Just4kix
Zealot

Left-Handers Day 13th August.

Just had this review from a children's book magazine.

THE RACE by Janet Hurst-Nicholson, illustrated by Vanessa Burger (Just4kix Books 2013)
An inspiring story for left-handers.
This is what Pooh would have called a Consoling book. Vicky is a small girl frustrated – as so many children are – by being left-handed. (The author points out at the end how many items pose problems: pencil sharpeners, corkscrews, scissors and the number pad on a computer keyboard for example.) Illustrated with cleverly adapted colour photos, this shortish book ends with Sports Day and Vicky wins a race because she is a ‘leftie’. Success at last! And nothing sinister about it. An observant story by a thoughtful author. For middle primary readers.[PR]
J Rating * (recommended)

Review by Jay Heale published in the August 2014 issue of Bookchat.

Now also available in paperback.

Tags
childrens, inspiring, left-handed, parents and children, school