Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
zatsgurl
zatsgurl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650 :)
ColorNook vs. Nook vs. Sony vs. ???

Hello everyone, I made this same post; however I think I may have made a mistake and posted it in introduction area vs. here. I am undecided what e-reader to get and I was hoping to get some opinions about what is out there. My kind hearted husband is prepared to order me the new ColorNook but I waiver daily. While I am not opposed to any other reader (except Kindle [library e Pub books a MUST because I have access to 3 different parish libraries] no Amazon problems otherwise), I still seem to be on a ledge. While the color nook is nifty and new, and I love the magazine thing, most people talk about the concern with LCD screen vs. e-ink eyestrain (not a big issue to me). On the other hand, I am a ‘love-to-sit-outside’ reader and have read some very concerning things about being able to read the LCD in the sun. Should I really be concerned about this? (Sorry this is so lengthy, but I wanted to be clear). I have heard good thinks about the Sony, but still am unsure…..ColorNook vs. Nook vs. Sony vs. ???

***Please allow me to reiterate, only because of the whole e Pub issue am I not for getting a Kindle. My cousin has one, she loves it, and I thought it was nice (just not what I am looking for). No Kindle hating here! (I have seen some VERY passionate Kindle users here) ***
zatsgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7; Superpad 10in tablet
go with a sony I love our 505's...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
DuncanWatson
Zealot
DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.DuncanWatson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook, NOOKColor
I love my Nook and have ordered a color nook as well. The nook is a very capable device with quite a lot of support for different formats and different DRM. I am very happy with mine.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPad, Nook Classic
I have the same issues with the Kindle. Great piece of hardware, but I refuse to own a device that doesn't support ePub.

I think the standard nook is a good choice and is much more affordable than the Sony and includes wi-fi and even 3G if you want the more expensive model. The Sony will have better battery life and a bit nicer Pearl eink screen, but I love my nook and would recommend it to anyone over the Sony or Kindle. The nook color is nice if you want a color screen, but again battery life will be a major issue if you don't like charging a device daily. Since the nook color isn't out yet there is also the risk in being an early adopter in case it has issues that need to be worked out over the first few months in firmware updates.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Sony Reader PRS-350
Do you have any other criteria? The Sonys are great readers, but both the Nook and the Sonys can be read outside and both support library EPUBs, so either would be fine for you, I think.

If being able to read outside is a strong selling point for you though, I don't think the Nook Color is the best choice. Sure, the brightness and contrast of a device with a backlit LCD screen can be adjusted, and settings can be fiddled with to make reading outdoors a more pleasant experience, but eink readers just work, with a minimal of fuss. The strengths of eink readers in the daytime and in direct sunlight are also its weaknesses at nighttime and with poor light.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight
If you want to read outside a backlit screen is a bad choice. That is the one area where they really fall flat. E-ink or a non-backlit LCD screen like the Jetbook are the only decent options for reading in sunlight. I have an iPad which I really like for reading, especially at night, but outside it just sucks.

Any of the ereaders that support ADE and are e-ink would be a great choice for you. I love my new PRS-650 and especially the new pearl screen, but happily used a PRS-600, PRS-900 and Pocketbook 360 in the past. I wasn't as happy with the Jetbook Lite (too awkward to hold and not as nice formatting) or the Kindle (the mobi restriction). I've never used a Nook but the Nook owners here seem a happy lot on the whole.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Go with Sony. Remember Astra suggested it to you If you like reading outside you will be very very happy and vice versa very unhappy if you go with LCD.
I recently upgraded from PRS-505 to PRS-650 and I love it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Take that opportunity of the sale B&H is having and get the PRS950. For $199, you get both 3g & wifi, touchscreen, and an extra 1-inch on the screen. The best deal going around in my opinion.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote