Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
vaderag
vaderag is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Google Reader on my Kindle?

I have a lot of Google Reader feeds, and on my iPhone I use and app called byline to read these. This allows me to download all the feeds (inc images), read them, then re-sync so that the read items are marked as read etc.

I appreciate that this might not be fully possible of the kindle, but is there any solution that works in conjunction with my PC that would allow me to do this?
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon K4, Fire, Droid 2
Have you looked at Calibre? You can use it to send feeds to your Kindle. If your feed isn't already included, you can add it yourself (depending on your programming skills) or ask nicely in the Calibre forum for someone else to add it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hopefully you might find this thread re Google Reader useful. Other ways of reading feeds on your Kindle are also explained:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97936
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Xoom, Kindle PW, iPad3, Fire HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Have you looked at Calibre? You can use it to send feeds to your Kindle. If your feed isn't already included, you can add it yourself (depending on your programming skills) or ask nicely in the Calibre forum for someone else to add it.
Calibre has a Google Reader feed. But it is not working the way I'd like (no links to the original/expanded article, no attribution/source visible when viewing article), sometimes calibre gives an error while generating it, and sometimes Amazon refuses to deliver it for some reason. So I've turned it off. Haven't had time to dig in and figure it out and modify the recipe. YMMV
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
vaderag
vaderag is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Yes, I use Calibre a lot.
The problem is that there is a multitude of ways to get the content on to my Kindle, but I need a way to update the feeds on Google's end once i've read them...

Also, i need to be not connected, so the mobile web browser wont work...

Thanks
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100763

Quote:
It includes most of the features of the desktop Google Reader, plus things like hot-key support for the Kindle's keyboard.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
I'm afraid there's no way to do this (yet). As you know, it's possible to have the feeds delivered to your Kindle in a variety of ways (Calibre, Kindlefeeder, etc.) but that's a one-way solution. You could always manually mark go through your items in Google Reader and mark them read (ie. select "items older than a week"). Obviously not exactly convenient. Or you could use the browser, which you already told us was not an option.

In theory, someone could write an app to grab your feeds from Google Reader, store your metadata (read, unread, etc.) locally on the Kindle and sync it back the next time you're online. The problem is that you'd actually need someone to invest time into what would be a huge project. And the reality is that there aren't that many jailbroken Kindles out there. The reason so many iPhones are jailbroken is that there's money to be made and (at least here in the US) people can't or don't want to use AT&T, which has horrible coverage in some places. And people can and actually do buy iPhone apps.

Most people who own a Kindle don't even know that it's possible to jailbreak them and of those who actually go and do it, I'd bet most do it because they're sick of seeing Emily Dickinson. So, there's zero money to be made by writing apps for the Kindle, access to the KDK is restricted and on top of that, RSS/Atom is kind of a niche. Heck, the folks behind Bloglines even seem to think it's dead or dying. I personally disagree and think it's immensely useful but chances are 95% of Kindle owners have never even heard of RSS.

Sorry.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote