Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Question One more Battery related post

Hey guys,

I know plenty of posts regarding battery life, but I am curious if this little issue is normal.

This has been a very busy couple of months for work, and I havent had a lot of time to read. I plug the charger in occasionally overnight to keep it charged between readings. A week goes by that I haven't read, and a bar is missing. I do the reset the meter with the charger trick, seems to go to full bars until I open it to read at length, and the one bar goes down and stays down. I fully charge it again. If I hadn't read in a week, the same thing happens after a full charge and a week of non use.

A few weeks ago, I hadn't read at all in 2 weeks prior, and the meter was down 2 bars, which is leading me to believe reading or no reading, the battery will lose charge no matter what. I understand the slow discharge if I hadn't read in a month or 2, but this is only weeks. I also want to note that during long reading and heavy use, I don't lose any bars, this seems to be just a time with or without use issue.

So basically, I am curious if others have experienced this same issue. It seems that heavy reading dosen't move the bars for me, just time. I am looking forward to your responses, thanks.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You would expect the Reader to use a small amount of power when it's "off", because it never really IS "off" - turning it off just blanks the screen and disables the detection of key presses. The operating system is still running - looking to see if you've pressed the power button, plugged in the charger, running the clock, etc etc.

I'd say, therefore, that what you're seeing is perfectly normal. I too find that the Reader will lose perhaps 1 bar of power in 10 days or so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think with a card inserted it drains the power a bit faster than without. So you might try pulling the card out if you're leaving the Reader for a long time.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I think with a card inserted it drains the power a bit faster than without. So you might try pulling the card out if you're leaving the Reader for a long time.

No card in there, I had one at first, but when the drain began, I took advice from fellow Mobilereaders and removed it.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The same here. I am loosing about 1 bar per week. So I never reach 7000 pages limit in one go. I think I never got more than 1000+ pages, because that is how many pages I read within a month.

Last edited by astra; 05-01-2007 at 06:08 AM. Reason: grammar...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Man, I thought my battery was faulty but maybe I'm not reading enough.

I think I'm going to take the Reader apart tonight and measure what is the battery drain when in standby mode. If someone wants to know something specific please let me know so I can take a look/measure when I open it up.

Last edited by diabloNL; 05-01-2007 at 05:51 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you see if you can find the terminal connectors? If you need, I'll find the CPU pin info, but I hear the board is pretty hard to trace...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Can you see if you can find the terminal connectors? If you need, I'll find the CPU pin info, but I hear the board is pretty hard to trace...

If you have the pin info that would be great and I will check it tonight.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Rechargeables do not stay charged.

I work with NiCads in my tools and it takes good charging management to prevent being marooned. I've read that NiCads typically lose from 4 to 8% of their charge per day with a deceleration of loss as it nears complete drain.

I don't know the particularities of the battery the Sony uses but I'm quite sure that this is the phenomenon that we're noticing in this case.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Lithium Polymer that Sony uses can hold a charge quite good as far as I know. What I want to find out is what the standby current is. Tonight we will know.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard

Here's the CPU info files:
Data Sheet (has the pin-out info).
Reference manual.
Product summary page (has more documents).
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Thanks for the info Igor. I will have to do it tomorrow because I left my tools at work.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It seems from the data sheets that Sidd3 on page 18 (mislabeled as to be 150 MHz) is the standby power consumption valued at 35 uA.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Well I opened it and tried to measure the current. Problem is that it's very hard to measure it. I needed a very, very thin wire to make a circuit and measure the current but I didn't have one at home. The only thing I could do on the spot was cutting the wire but that I found a bit going to far. I can do it but I will need some shrink tube so I can fix it afterwards.

I will give it a try soon but I need to set something up to do it correct. Igor, I couldn't find the terminal and I didn't dare to measure so close to the CPU. If I blow a port I have a big problem. One thing is for sure, you need to measure to find it.

What I did do is rip the "recycled" label from the battery and get the full type description.

It is a:

Sony Fukushima Sew
US473850 A7T
01C45NI22V

I found this type but only instead of "A7T" it ends with "A8T". I can't say what and if they are different.

Click
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	3371  
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Igor, I couldn't find the terminal and I didn't dare to measure so close to the CPU. If I blow a port I have a big problem. One thing is for sure, you need to measure to find it.
Is it possible to check if the terminal contacts are present on the cradle connector?