Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
jpuntd
jpuntd doesn't litterjpuntd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Any other teachers here?

Hello from Belgium

This is my first post although I have browsed MobileRead for almost two years now. Interested in educational uses for ereaders. Any other teachers here?
Still undecided on purchasing a Kindle 3 or a Sony PRS 650.
jpuntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuntd View Post
Hello from Belgium

This is my first post although I have browsed MobileRead for almost two years now. Interested in educational uses for ereaders. Any other teachers here?
Still undecided on purchasing a Kindle 3 or a Sony PRS 650.
Welcome to Mobileread!
I'm a retired teacher but I still work part time. I recommend the Sony which I myself use with my students for these reasons:

It works with library books

The touch screen is more intuitive and makes it faster to use the dictionary, which is one of the best attributes of an e reader for education.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 505 Kindle 3G
Hi jpuntd, and welcome to MobileRead.
Good luck in choosing your eReader.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, obs20

Does your library carry the e-books needed for your use?

The k3 won't support library books without workarounds, but the Sony will...providing you can fine the books you need in ebook format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jpuntd and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
jpuntd
jpuntd doesn't litterjpuntd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Thanks for the information.
jpuntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Welcome to MobileRead! I think it's exciting that teachers are using ereaders in class. Very cool!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am a teacher and I use my iPad all the time in class. I teach primary school French and right now am teaching three different units to three different grade levels. I have all my teaching books in PDF so I can just carry around the iPad and not have to worry about carrying around those bulky teaching guides. The screen is big enough that I can turn it around and read to the kids off it like a storybook, show them Powerpoint slides (I often do this with lengthier songs I teach, I play the music and show a Powerpoint with the words). Also I have a few games on it which we play together to teach vocabulary in a meaningful context (right now, they are very into Virtual Families and are learning all this great house and family related vocabulary with it).

I am a specialty teacher and don't have my own dedicated classroom, so I have very limited space to store my stuff and then what I need for the day, I have to carry with me. It was a bit of a time investment to get everything scanned and catalogued appropriately, but now that it's all done, it is SO much easier. I keep everything on Dropbox so I can print worksheets off the school computer for the kids without having to go down to the cupboard and find the book it came from, and I can send materials straight to the iPad on the fly (without iTunes) via the Dropbox app. I could go on and on. The iPad has been a real game-changer for me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote