Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #121
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 204
Karma: 757546
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Hello. I have been using Doukan for the last two months to read PDFs in my DXG and it's great. However, I'm wondering if I can change two things:

1- Is there any way that Doukan shows the medatada of PDFs and not just the "name" of the file? The author information doesn't appear.

2- Is it possible to change the font in the Home Screen? I change the font through Setting and it changes in the menus, but in the Home it is still the same and it is too big. Any clue?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #122
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Hello. I have been using Doukan for the last two months to read PDFs in my DXG and it's great. However, I'm wondering if I can change two things:

1- Is there any way that Doukan shows the medatada of PDFs and not just the "name" of the file? The author information doesn't appear.

2- Is it possible to change the font in the Home Screen? I change the font through Setting and it changes in the menus, but in the Home it is still the same and it is too big. Any clue?
The book's paye layout can show the whole information.
As for the font, because we mainly foucus on Chinese, so maybe the Endlish font is not very beautiful , and you can download other style font.
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #123
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Hello,

I installed Duokan on my Kindle 3 3.1 version today. I love the PDF features, however I have 2 serious issues with Duokan. I heard this mentioned before but nobody responded.

1. When I connect my Kindle to the USB, I get the drive letter assigned, but I can't read or write to the drive. If I click on it, I get a windows prompt saying:"Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (K.

I really hate having to reboot to the regular OS to upload something to kindle.

2. The dictionary file I got is working, but I'm seeing HTML tags in the dictionary display which is VERY annoying and makes it hard to read the contents.

Example:
<k>always</k> <i><c><co>adverb</co></c></i>

arghhh.

Please help.
1、This question,you can change a USB faucet and have a try.
2.Can you tell me what kind of dictionary you using?
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #124
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 204
Karma: 757546
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2011 View Post
The book's paye layout can show the whole information.
As for the font, because we mainly foucus on Chinese, so maybe the Endlish font is not very beautiful , and you can download other style font.
Thank you, tracy. But not, the book page information does't show the metadata of pdfs, it does in .mobi, epub and other format, but not in PDFs.

On the other hand, I don't know how to load fonts onto Doukan. I don't find anywhere how to do it.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #125
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2011 View Post
1、This question,you can change a USB faucet and have a try.
2.Can you tell me what kind of dictionary you using?
Hi tracy,

1. Ok I think I might have an issue with the USB driver installed on my desktop for this Kindle, I plugged it into my laptop and it showed up correctly and was working... might have to play around with the driver on the desktop PC. Thanks.

2. I am using the Merriam Webster 1913 dictionary, I have also tried the Oxford dictionary, which seems to have a lot less formatting problems, but it still has the HTML tags in the definitions.

Here's a screen shot of what I see:



***Update***
Ok so I fixed the problem on my desktop and now the USB is working!!

Here's what I did in case anyone else runs into this problem:
I'm running Win 7 Corp 64-bit btw.

1. In My Computer right click the driver letter which Kindle appears as, it will say something like "Removable Drive K:", etc.
2. Select 'Properties'
3. Select the 'Hardware' tab.
4. Here you will see a list of hardware devices currently connected to your PC, select the 'Kindle Internal Storage USB Device'.
5. Click the 'Properties' button at the bottom right screen corner.
6. Switch to the 'Driver' tab in the new window that popped up.
7. Select 'Uninstall' button at the very bottom to uninstall the driver.
8. You will be asked to reboot your PC, do that and unplug your Kindle for now, wait for reboot to complete.
9. Once you're back in Windows, just plug in your Kindle, give it a minute and the driver for Kindle will re-install itself and everything should be working at this point! Worked for me!

:-)

Last edited by linnx88; 07-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #126
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh and one more thing, Duokan when viewing PDFs in Smart Layout mode, displays the flow very strangely, and this is on all of my PDFs.

For example it'll layout the text with a lot of spaces and lines in between like this:
"
Ddfkj kjsdaflkj lkjsdflj
dfkj
kjas
kjasdf lkjsdf lkjasf lkjsd
sd
kjsd

sdfkj
"

And so on. Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks!
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #127
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Hi tracy,

1. Ok I think I might have an issue with the USB driver installed on my desktop for this Kindle, I plugged it into my laptop and it showed up correctly and was working... might have to play around with the driver on the desktop PC. Thanks.

2. I am using the Merriam Webster 1913 dictionary, I have also tried the Oxford dictionary, which seems to have a lot less formatting problems, but it still has the HTML tags in the definitions.

Here's a screen shot of what I see:




***Update***
Ok so I fixed the problem on my desktop and now the USB is working!!

Here's what I did in case anyone else runs into this problem:
I'm running Win 7 Corp 64-bit btw.

1. In My Computer right click the driver letter which Kindle appears as, it will say something like "Removable Drive K:", etc.
2. Select 'Properties'
3. Select the 'Hardware' tab.
4. Here you will see a list of hardware devices currently connected to your PC, select the 'Kindle Internal Storage USB Device'.
5. Click the 'Properties' button at the bottom right screen corner.
6. Switch to the 'Driver' tab in the new window that popped up.
7. Select 'Uninstall' button at the very bottom to uninstall the driver.
8. You will be asked to reboot your PC, do that and unplug your Kindle for now, wait for reboot to complete.
9. Once you're back in Windows, just plug in your Kindle, give it a minute and the driver for Kindle will re-install itself and everything should be working at this point! Worked for me!

:-)
Our staff have seen your question, she said it maybe your dictionary has question, can you post your dictionary file here?
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #128
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sure, I'll post it.

Also, another question Tracy. I managed to get Kindle Lite working, however how do I pan the text when zoomed in in Duokan??

Kindle allows precise panning of the document when zoomed in by holding down Shift + Direction arrow, such as left or right and the text will move by tiny increments, which is VERY convenient. Duokan seems to only do giant pan jumps, such as when you just hit left or right in Kindle without holding down Shift.

This is badly needed when reading PDFs with columns of text in them.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 stardict-comn_dls03_oxford-2.4.2.tar.bz2 (4.28 MB, 80 views)
linnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #129
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Sure, I'll post it.

Also, another question Tracy. I managed to get Kindle Lite working, however how do I pan the text when zoomed in in Duokan??

Kindle allows precise panning of the document when zoomed in by holding down Shift + Direction arrow, such as left or right and the text will move by tiny increments, which is VERY convenient. Duokan seems to only do giant pan jumps, such as when you just hit left or right in Kindle without holding down Shift.

This is badly needed when reading PDFs with columns of text in them.

Thanks.
Push the Aa key,you can zoom the text.
the SHIFT and the up direction only suppport scanned PDF text.
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #130
LonelyStar
Junior Member
LonelyStar began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: none
Hey,
I do not get it, it says in the FAQ:
5. Copy the relevant bin for your Kindle to the root folder (see list below).

Which list? I do not see the list telling me which files to copy. I have a kindle DXG. Am I blind?
LonelyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #131
Fabi
Junior Member
Fabi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2011
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy2011 View Post
DUOKAN haven't developed the 3.2.1 Chinese version,so it shows error.I'm duokan's Chinese staff,you can contact me if you have any question.
My kindle had a screen issue and amazon replaced it.
. The new one does have OS 3.2.1
I had duokan in the old one and do not want to change it. Is there any way available to install it
TY
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #132
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.
 
Posts: 344
Karma: 6494
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
My kindle had a screen issue and amazon replaced it.
. The new one does have OS 3.2.1
I had duokan in the old one and do not want to change it. Is there any way available to install it
TY
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125517
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #133
Fabi
Junior Member
Fabi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2011
Device: kindle
3.2.1

I could not install duokan yet. i found at Duokan s page , undert the title

[Upgrade / Software] Kindle3 --- 3.2.1 version has been cracked advertising, easy installation to see more

the following link with the crack, but i can t get it. Is ti some where else?

Installation Notes:

1 If you installed jailbreak kindle file, then please uninstall jailbreak related documents, or may cause the installation to see more of system failure. Because escape from the system is likely to tamper with the original system files cause the upgrade to fail.
2 If you kindle version 3.2.1 with previous version installed to see more of this software upgrade package may fail.
3 users have to "break the upgrade package" in the 3 bin files to the original Kindle's root system before installation look / see more Lite software.
4 The latest installation package to upgrade the original system may be installed to look at the response time (10 to 15 minutes), please be patient can be.
5 This document is based on the upgrade version to look at 0520.



Installation steps:

1 users please download the "crack pack": Break package. Rar (30.34 KB)
Downloads: 1937
2011-7-22 14:58




TY
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #134
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabi View Post
My kindle had a screen issue and amazon replaced it.
. The new one does have OS 3.2.1
I had duokan in the old one and do not want to change it. Is there any way available to install it
TY

YOU can install it from http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-1829-1-1.html, and if you want to install the Lite system ,please click here:http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-16541-1-1.html
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #135
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 57
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Oh and one more thing, Duokan when viewing PDFs in Smart Layout mode, displays the flow very strangely, and this is on all of my PDFs.

For example it'll layout the text with a lot of spaces and lines in between like this:
"
Ddfkj kjsdaflkj lkjsdflj
dfkj
kjas
kjasdf lkjsdf lkjasf lkjsd
sd
kjsd

sdfkj
"

And so on. Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks!
you can use your file at your computer and look if the same issue exit
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ? ktb1381 Sony Reader 8 08-28-2012 07:45 AM
sort of English Duokan FethryDuck Kindle Developer's Corner 868 07-05-2012 06:58 PM
FAQ vitalis PocketBook 22 06-06-2010 07:37 PM
iPad FAQ Lotus Esprit Apple Devices 2 04-13-2010 08:11 PM
Where is the iSilo FAQ? Experiment 626 Lounge 0 01-18-2003 06:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.