Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Lightbulb Kindle Voyage Teardown / Root

Hi,

thought I share some pics from my Disassembled Kindle - Its actually easier to take apart than the PW was (less Glue) Thanks to a nice slide to unlock case design.

The Serial port pins are easy to identify so you can solder some wires to them and after that boot to uboot (Port Settings: 115200-8-1). In uboot you can start DIAG Mode and the root password for DIAG mode can be calculated from the Kindle serial with the newest dev-version of KindleTool.

After that you can mount the system partition set a root password for it and then install the jailbreak components manually.

Pics Attached below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Teardown1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	130697

Name:	Teardown2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	130698

Name:	Teardown3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	130699

Name:	Teardown4.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	130700

Name:	Teardown5.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	130701

Name:	Teardown6.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	130702

Name:	Serial1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	130706

Name:	Serial2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	130704

Last edited by blkhawk; 11-06-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Adding Details
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
We prefer that pictures be attached directly to the post rather than as links to an off-site resource.

Please.

(If not using the advanced editor here, select it when posting or editing a post.
Then scroll down to the "manage attachments" section.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In your picture #7 with the call-outs of the serial port pins - -

You show:
Gnd, Tx, Rx
Did you label those with reference to the Kindle port?

Or did you label those with reference to the serial cable?

I suspect the second, because until now, the port call-outs have been (referencing the lead functions of the port being called out):
Gnd, Rx, Tx
Very common in this world of microscopic board pads - -
If any two adjacent pins become shorted together, nothing gets damaged.

- - - -

PS: The KT2 and the KV both use the same connector that Amazon has been using since the K4.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.blkhawk knows what's going on.

Looking at it again I should have labeled them the other way around - I fixed the Image.

Name:	Science!.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	130705
Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhawk View Post
Looking at it again I should have labeled them the other way around - I fixed the Image.

Attachment 130705
Well, I admit I was only guessing.

In 8 of 8 I see you have the serial port wiring headed towards the top of the device.

Have you figured out how to add a connector to the top edge?
(Similar to what was posted for another model of Kindle, on the bottom edge.)

Or are you just going to store the loose ends under that sliding access cover?
(I would be tempted to do it that way, I think. The easy way.)

- - - - -

PS: The KT2 is a more 'conventional' glue and double-sided tape assembly.
Will be posting my pics tomorrow.
(It is apart, it still works, but that may have just been more a matter of luck than of skill.)

Last edited by knc1; 11-07-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler

Ya, I just rolled the connector up and store it inside the sliding case - there is plenty of space there.

Tags
voyage teardown serial