Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite
Assessing the Kindle

A new user to these forums and ebook readers would look at the talk about the kindle and from what has been said a new user would figure that the
Kindle is ideal for everything. As a veteran IT professional who has many more years of experience then I would care to count I firmly believe that no one product or device is ideal for everything and everyone in all situations. The best answer to what is best is always - it depends on what you want or what is important to you. Personally I did not select a Kindle becuase I simply do not want to pay that much for an ereader and my Aluratek Libra Pro was simply willing to get me a reader for my price. I am quite clear that the Libra Pro has a lot of shortcomings, its not touch screen, no wireless and its rather slow.

Is the Kindle really the best thing for all people in all situation?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Yes !

Simple answer: YES !
sirmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well one short coming is price, its rather high, depending on how you define high.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
No, the Kindle is not the best thing for all people in all situations. If it were, it would have driven all other devices out of the market already.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard

What sorts of people would a kindle not be the best thing? A starving student on a budget would be one. An individual who is frequently jazzed on cafine (Kindle owners have told me that hte Kindle is slow on the refresh rate).
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPhone 5S, Nexus 7 32 gig. (2013), Dell 2350
I have been around long enough to know that there is no such think as one size fits all. Just not possible.
It is only what I now say, that my parents always told me, if the shoe fits wear it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I get the distinct impression that you are anti-Kindle. It seems like most of your posts have been snide comments about the Kindle, Kindle users, or Amazon.

You have posted that Amazon can get past peoples home firewalls to remove things from individual computers (which I seriously doubt), you have posted that the Kindle isn't perfect, and now this.

Kindle users are enthusiastic. So are Nook users. So are Sony users.

There are some folks who total fanboys, same for Nook, same for Sony.

There are also people who have posted that folks who want to use library books are better off with a Nook or Sony. People who want to use their e-reader primarily for PDF's might want to look elsewhere.

You could add more to the conversation by letting people know why you bought the alurtek when folks ask for advice on new e-readers then you are with your current round of Kindle, its not really bashing, more like a steady stream of sneering.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 11-03-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
To me the price of a Kindle is cheap but then I've always been a bit of a gadget junkie and prefer to spend what I have on electronic devices rather than most of my female friends who spend their cash on hair, makeup, jewelery and clothes.

Personally I love the Kindle and am a massive fan but it doesn't quite cover all bases for me personally.

The big things it misses for me are:

- Library support so I can download and read library books on my Kindle
- can't read epub files without conversion to another format
- lack of notepad - why when the kindle has a perfectly good keyboard is there no notepad app included?
- enhanced collections - either let me use folders on my Kindle or give me collections within collections please
- ability to search books via covers
- instead of social networking to facebook or twitter which I really don't use, I want the same ability but to my blog instead which would be useful

But to be honest for the price it is, I think what the Kindle does actually offer is fantastic. I have tried other e-ink devices but none of them come close to a Kindle for me.

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 11-03-2010 at 10:39 AM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
desertblues
Cycling in East-Germany
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I find my Kindle not perfect for PDF and I don't have the technical knowledge to alter PDF' s for my Kindle to read.

But apart from this shortcoming, I think the Kindle and its boss Amazon are really consumerfriendly. It's the fastest ereader with the most readable screen I've had sofar. And the amazing thing for me, having had a wrecked iLiad (by I, myself; and not a hope of having it repaired); my Kindle always reboots again.

That said, I would love to hear something about the Alutrek.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-03-2010 at 10:49 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
patrickt
Evangelist
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Well one short coming is price, its rather high, depending on how you define high.
I just got my K3. You consider $139 high?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Are you having fun constantly trolling the Kindle forum jbcohen? As noted, you don't have a Kindle and it appears that you wouldn't ever consider getting a Kindle anyway.

There is a difference between posting constructive questions/arguments and trolling where you're just posting things which have been beaten to death years ago.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
patrickt
Evangelist
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
jbcohen: "A new user to these forums and ebook readers would look at the talk about the kindle and from what has been said a new user would figure that the
Kindle is ideal for everything." Not at all. Only an idiot would think that. I just made some toast to eat with marmalade. I would not use my Kindle to make toast. I could obviously go on endlessly but I think even you can see that the Kindle is not ideal, or even practical, for everything.

You don't seem to have any experience with ebook readers but as an ebook reader the Kindle is, in my opinion, excellent.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I get the distinct impression that you are anti-Kindle. It seems like most of your posts have been snide comments about the Kindle, Kindle users, or Amazon.
Bingo!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I just got my K3. You consider $139 high?
in comparison to other devices, no, but i wouldn't judge only from my perspective.
in relation to how much $139 means to many buyers and wouldbe buyers, yes.
plus, don't forget to add $20 for delivery and around that much for customs fees which brings the real price to a round $180. it's an effort.

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 11-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Are you having fun constantly trolling the Kindle forum jbcohen? As noted, you don't have a Kindle and it appears that you wouldn't ever consider getting a Kindle anyway.

There is a difference between posting constructive questions/arguments and trolling where you're just posting things which have been beaten to death years ago.
Thank you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote