Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Well, I've had my JBL for a few days now...

and so far, thanks to reading here, I'm fumbling through this somewhat foreign territory pretty well! Thanks to Ken, among others, for the threads on "what to do before it gets here." I formatted it and the SD card to FAT32, after taking all the pre-loaded books off. I then started some folders on my computer and synced the books back to the card. I've also been struggling through the learning curve with Calibre, and have managed to convert some of my many Fictionwise Secure Mobipocket books so they work on the new device, and have a good start on a nice Calibre library. I need to see if my secure eReader books will work on the JBL. I also have to read the threads about library books more closely, as I'm delighted with the idea of borrowing ebooks! I need to understand the issue with the no clock as it relates to library books.

I came to ebooks via my Dell Axim PDA, and since we'd recently forsaken a stick house for living and traveling in an RV I was thrilled with the space saving. But the Axim is getting old, and I'm trying to keep it working to function as my "brain" without the additional usage that comes from reading on it. I've never played with an actual ebook reader before, and so far I'm delighted with the JBL. Having no basis for comparison, I am pleased with the different locations and means of turning pages, with the ability to use regular rechargeable batteries, and with the battery "bump" for holding it. I'm also glad I got it at Newegg with the slip case, so I can make it safer from kitty claws and bumps when not in use.

Thanks for all the great information posted here!
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
GA Russell
Riders win the Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
Congrats Bev!
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Sounds like a good start.

Secure eReader has worked on the JBL for a good number of firmware versions now.
I used to read .pdb ebooks on my PDA and got my first JBL through a promotion at
eReader.com. I still have thousands of ebooks in the .pdb format, including some
with Secure eReader DRM. You can read your ebooks with Secure eReader DRM, on
the JBL. (But I take the DRM off all my purchases including those that the JBL can
read.) One reason I ended up removing the DRM from my eReader purchases was
because I kept loosing track of which credit card number was used for which ebook.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-06-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev M View Post
.... I also have to read the threads about library books more closely, as I'm delighted with the idea of borrowing ebooks! I need to understand the issue with the no clock as it relates to library books ...
glad that you're enjoying your first ereader experience. Once you're ready to borrow books from the libray, read the other threads in this forum or ask and we'll be more than happy to help you set up the "no return date" library books.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.MaggieScratch knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch
eReader/B&N DRM works really well on the Jetbook in my experience--enter your CC# once (assuming you used only one!) and you never have to again! It's really seamless.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Borrowing books from the library. Does that mean the local library where you are or from an online source? I also am a full time RV'er and no longer stay in any one place more than 2 or 3 months. Hence no real library card from a fixed location.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
GA Russell
Riders win the Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AHM, are you in the US? If so, spend $15 and get a year's privileges to borrow from the Philadelphia library's online selection. I gather it has the best selection in the country among public libraries.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
AHM, are you in the US? If so, spend $15 and get a year's privileges to borrow from the Philadelphia library's online selection. I gather it has the best selection in the country among public libraries.

Yup in the US. We just travel all year long since we stayed in one spot for most of 50 years. We figured the next 50 we'd see as much of the country as we could.

Will have to look up the Philly library. So far no e reader yet. Still looking for one or two to buy and haven't made up our mind yet. Thanks for the recomendation.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
While FLP has over 3500 ebooks. The Seattle Public Library has over 17,000 ebooks.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
GA Russell
Riders win the Grey Cup!

Greg, does the Seattle library lend to out-of-staters?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Greg, does the Seattle library lend to out-of-staters?
No, I'm been pestering my sister, who lives in Port Angeles, to get a card and lend me the number. The Orlando County Library (http://www.ocls.info/) has over 16.000 ebooks and lends to out-of-staters, but the cost is 3 months ($75), 6 months ($100) or for one year ($125)

Last edited by thaigreg; 11-23-2010 at 10:17 PM.
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Another full-time RVer here, and I plan to get a card from the Phila Free Library. It would be so nice if more libraries were friendly to those outside their communities with their ebooks - and it would make them a few extra bucks, too!
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Speaking of the Library.

I use to be selective when looking for e-books.

This meant long waiting list while I waited for my selects to free up.

Now I use "Advance Search" and I target my language and format as well as the gendre but I now ask for e-books that are immediately available. I am allowed to have 10 out at a time. Once I have ten out I will then immediately download them and start sampling each. If I feel that I will enjoy reading them I will hang on to the ebook. If I feel that I will not read it I throw it back a.s.a.p. Thus freeing up a selection that I can re-fill by continuing my search.

You are permitted to return an e-book if done within a short period of time after downloading it. This allows one to check out other authors without dwindling your available quota and having to wait till the whole lending period is finished before selecting a replacement. I came across this by accident.

I have heard people talking about using the Library but AFAIK no one has mentioned this ability.

John

How to "Return" a recently selected e-book.

I use my overdrive connection to my local Library.

Do my searches and pre-select what I feel I will like to read.
Once I have 10 (my max including e-books already out) I go through the check-out process and download each one immediately via Adobe's ADE software.

When the e-book has finished downloading, ADE present it to you in the "Open" mode where you can read it.

I then do a quick scan to see if the selection perks my interest. If so, I jump to my Internet browser connection to my Library selections and download the next e-book for review.

If I do not think I will like the freshly downloaded e-book - I back out to the "My Library" option of ADE and using my mouse I select the book that I just had open and and click in the top left corner of the icon of the e-book. A drop down action list appears. If it is still valid you will see the option to "Return the selection". This remove the e-book from your Borrowed list but does not delete the e-book from the "My Digital Editions" folder under "My Documents".

Once you return the e-book you cannot re-open the copy that still resides in the ADE library folder so you should delete it manually. If you delete the e-book from the "Borrowed" bookshelf instead of "Returning it" it will still be registered as "Out on loan" to your account and it will occupy one of your quota slots.

Note: If you accidently delete a library e-book before it's due time you can still go back to your Library account and re-download it until.

If you ever wonder about the status of an e-book residing in the "My Digital Editions" folder under "My Documents" just click on the e-book. If it is valid it will pop up in ADE. If it is invalid ADE will advise you.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 11-23-2010 at 11:34 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote