Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
RemoGaggi
RemoGaggi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Borders does not accept any returns on Kobo

I was thinking of getting a Kobo reader for my girlfriend as a Christmas present. I think she'll like it, but I'm not 100% sure. At the register, I asked what the return policy is in the event the my GF didn't like it. I was told they do not accept any returns. If the unit is defective, they will replace it with another unit. They won't even accept a return for store credit.
Needless to say, they lost a sale because of their stupid restrictive policy.
RemoGaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
jsites
Enthusiast
jsites doesn't litterjsites doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-350 Silver
That cashier was not properly informed.

I work at a Borders store, and as of about a month ago, Borders changed their policy, and any eReader purchase will be allowed to be returned, within 30 days of purchase, with your receipt or a gift receipt and box and all materials that came in the box, no questions asked.

This was information sent out as a company-wide policy change (or at least all USA stores), and all stores should have informed all of their staff about this change.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything on the Borders website that reiterates this information.
jsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
RemoGaggi

When I was at the register, the cashier called the manager to confirm the "No-return" policy and was told there were no returns. Maybe the store didn't get the memo. But in any event, this left a bad taste and surely sets it up for hassle if I had to return it.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
RemoGaggi

Another follow-up. I thought about trying to order a Kobo online and I called Borders' customer service to check the return policy. I was told the same thing at the store - If I open the package, I cannot return it.

What a stupid policy. I really want to buy one, but I'm not going to risk getting stuck with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
Another follow-up. I thought about trying to order a Kobo online and I called Borders' customer service to check the return policy. I was told the same thing at the store - If I open the package, I cannot return it.

What a stupid policy. I really want to buy one, but I'm not going to risk getting stuck with it.
In which country do you live?
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
jsites
Enthusiast
jsites doesn't litterjsites doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-350 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
When I was at the register, the cashier called the manager to confirm the "No-return" policy and was told there were no returns. Maybe the store didn't get the memo. But in any event, this left a bad taste and surely sets it up for hassle if I had to return it.
I could be wrong, and maybe the policy is only for our district. I know that the policy change was given to us through our Regional Manager, so I just assumed it came from over his head.
jsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pokee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Chapters/Indigo in Canada has the same return policy that RemoGaggi says. I think it's because Kobo is a small company that will lose a lot of money if ereaders are returned to them and are not re-sellable. I think some stores might be more slack on the official policy depending on if the reader looks 'used' or not and if the packaging looks 'new' and 'resellable'. Personally, I would not chance it. I love my Kobo, but I would not buy it for a gift for anyone unless I was 100% sure they would want an ereader.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Venue Pro 8
I know that the Borders in DeKalb, IL will accept returns on Kobo Readers.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote