Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
sort of English Duokan

NOTE !

There is now an English release !! Links and instructions appear later in this thread.

If you have an unsupported language, the first pages here might give you some ideas

---------------------------
I have a Kindle 3 wifi where I have installed

* jailbreak-0.3.N
* ss-0.13.N

Skipped fonts as I installed Duokan-Kindle, version 0.5.13.5642 Beta23.
( think I found it http://u.115.com/file/f042df3f97 )

And now I am completly lost !! I don't understand any Chinese, of course ;)

Did some attempt to make some of it understandable, used Google translate and
replaced files.

Save a copy of the original folders,
DK_System/system/MenuConfig
DK_System/system/Profiles
DK_System/system/skin

Unpack my archieves somewhere, and overwrite the files on the Kindle.

I would begin with
MenuItem.dat
FontInfo.txt
systemConfig.ini
TxtSheZhiTopMenu.txt
and so on..

It is a poor translation, but probably easier to understand then
the original Chinese ;) One of their characters may translate to a whole
sentence. What you may place inside a fixed sized character array, limits
what you can acheive. Use a hex-editor if you want to try and change anything.

Hopefully there will be translations, but I could not find any. Still remaining
pages to do, and things can be improved.

Include a couple of screenshots.

I don't plan to say much on this forum, but after all the slavery - it would be nice if someone else could find it useful - good luck ;)

PS! - while uploading, I renamed files from .tgz to .tar - just rename them again if they don't unpack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.jpg
Views:	11309
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	60611   Click image for larger version

Name:	player.jpg
Views:	8792
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	60612   Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.jpg
Views:	7378
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	60613  
Attached Files
File Type: tar MenuConfig.tar (97.0 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: tar Profiles.tar (14.5 KB, 1258 views)
File Type: tar skin.tar (391.6 KB, 1287 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-14-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: update
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Oh, when I said:
"Unpack my archieves somewhere, and overwrite the files on the Kindle." - do this on your computer, and by adding those files, one at a time, you may see where and how things change. If for some reason something goes wrong, - it will try to restart the Duokan-system. If not it may boot up in the official Kindle version. Correct your last entry, and try to restart it. In Amazon Kindle -> menu->settings-> restart. When the Chinese page appear, hit "Q" for Duokan and "W" for Amazon official version. It will default to the system you have set under system-settings.

If any can add improvements, please do. If anyone could improve the install with a script, please do. If someone have source code, please - let us see it .

Thanks..

UPDATE - added my system-settings pages, which is my original translation ( not the english version that is released now. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101107193645.jpg
Views:	3938
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	60786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101107193656.jpg
Views:	3302
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	60787   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101107193709.jpg
Views:	3002
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	60788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20101107193721.jpg
Views:	2694
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	60789  

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-07-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added settings-page pictures
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
thank you for all your hard work

There's a rumor of an upcoming English translation for the Duokan's firmware, but nobody seems to know when it will be ready.

The following links could be usefull:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=duokan
http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-2507-1-1.html
http://www.duokan.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D1
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, FethryDuck
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!

Last I checked out duokan, the reader had no font kerning. I mean, each letter takes up a fixed amount of space. It made the text, in English anyway, much less pleasant to read. Is that still the case?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I think you're speaking about a monospaced font (which, I guess, makes sense on CJK glyphs). I imagine there's a way to change the font, in order to use a proper Serif or Sans font.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
FethryDuck
Addict

added work-files

Thanks, I have missed out on these threads. Wonder when we will see some English version.

Anyway, if someone knows where/what the network is hooking up to, it would be nice to know. We don't want to annoy them by accident. Perhaps it should be disabled or routed to some English sites. ( did some answer with pressing all keys in frustration ;)

Include some spreadsheet pages. Perhaps it can be of some help or insight. If your native language is "Duckbergian", then you may work out your personal edition - it will take years before we will see a version of that language.

Quack, Quack
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tables.zip (88.2 KB, 940 views)

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-04-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
great thanks for this, works great.

i installed mobileread jailbreak, then latest duokan for 3G, then copied over your files.

anymore updates to this?

what is the table.zip for?
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
flipkick
flipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation

The alternative firmware for Kindle, Duokan, will be released with an english GUI tonight! http://bit.ly/bQHFMb
flipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
flipkick
flipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
It is now available for Kindle 2, 3 and DX through http://bit.ly/bQHFMb
flipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipkick View Post
It is now available for Kindle 2, 3 and DX through http://bit.ly/bQHFMb
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *O*
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Edit: deleted

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: no reason to keep it.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
6 dirs

3 that need to be moved to the Kindle:
1. DK_Documents
2. DK_Pictures
3. DK_System

The other 3 dirs show "invalid encoding" but...
- 1 of these 3 has pdfs in them in 4 dirs: DXG, DX, K2, K3
Look like manuals(??)
- 1 of these has windows installation files. Something for syncing with the kindle???
- 1 of them has bin files insides 4 dirs: DXG, DX, K2, K3

Looks like the 1st 3 need to be copied to my system and then I need to use the correct BIN file to do the update.

I hope I have this figured out correctly

edit 2:
montalex: with "original folders" they probably are talking about an older version of duokan. Since my "root" folder does not have DK*-folders

edit 3:
update succesful
kindle restarting

almost done

edit 4:
It came up without any problems. Now how do I check if it all went well? Hmmm :P

Last edited by Rinzwind; 11-06-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
well installed v11 okay (if you had another version just replace the DK_System folder with latest and put the K3 bins into root (the kindle will automatically install correct bin file)

but seems the default gui is chinese, anyone know how to switch it to English?

cheers
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks for this, but the new version (released today ) supports English!
http://dl.dbank.com/c0u2w5mxdn#

Third (out of 4) settings screen (Menu-J), select D, then C
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote