Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
DanMcGirt
DanMcGirt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile Thank you for your unwitting help in converting my ebook!

Hello!

Not sure if this is the right spot for this post ... hope so.

I just want to offer a generalized "thank you" to the MobileRead forums!

I am a fiction (mostly fantasy/comedy) author who is in the process of making ebooks out of my previously published works -- and, of course, publishing new stories. I started with Smashwords last year and, a few months ago, started digging into Amazon's DTP platform (I know "DTP platform" is redundantly recursive, but it sounds better). I have one novel in the Kindle Store now, which I have previously pimped in the appropriate forum, so I won't mention the title here. That one, I hired Joshua Tallent to convert/format and he did a great job!

I just uploaded my second Kindle ebook -- which, again I'll hype at the appropriate time -- which I formatted myself. It took me several days, but I was determined to figure out how it is done. In general, I think my time is probably better spent writing than formatting, etc but I wanted to know how it works and I think it is not a bad skill and awareness for an author to have.

My point here is that I would not have gotten through the task without relying on the knowledge shared here at MobileRead. Mr. Tallent's book Kindle Formatting was my main guide through the process, but when questions or problems came up that the book couldn't answer, I often found the solution (or helpful clues) here in past discussions. So much so that I never had to come post an actual question!

As far as process, I started with MS Word files, cleaned those up in Word & then worked on the HTML with my CoffeeCup HTML Editor (and occasionally Notepad). I used MobiPocket Creator for the conversion and Kindle Previewer for quality control. I made lots of mistakes along the way, but I learned a lot and, again, just want to thank the many people who have made their knowledge and experience available here!

best,
Dan McGirt
DanMcGirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcGirt View Post
just want to thank the many people who have made their knowledge and experience available here!
Me too
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast

Tags
mobi conversion