Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
hleo12
Zealot
hleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo
Margins, CSS, and the Glo.

The last time I was forced to learn html was back in my senior year of high school. The time when CSS was important because of friendster...

Anyway, lately, I've been learning some basic CSS stuff to edit some books that I'm reading. Either they have too much margin, or too much space between paragraphs, or there's no indentation.

So I make it a habit to edit the poorly formatted books that I have.

They worked great before, but now, with a particular book, there have been some characters that were cut off when displayed on my Glo. I know that there have been some reports where some italicized letters (like 'f') are cut off when placed at the right margin.

Now, though, it seems worse. Some regular formatted letters are cut off, sometimes a whole letter itself is missing. And for some reason, when I highlight the word, it doesn't give me a dictionary pop-up. But when I click add note, the word is recognized properly.

I just can't think of anything that might've caused this.

My Glo's margin slider is all the way to the left, but even if I increase it, it will sometimes leave some lines going through the margin.

Here's the CSS that I use. It's pretty much basic, just enough to correctly format the text so they'll look more like books...

Code:
p {
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 1.5em;
line-height: 100%;
margin: 0 0;
}
p.first {
text-indent: 0em;
line-height: 100%;
}

Last edited by hleo12; 08-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.
hleo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The only time I notice this is with kepubs, sideloaded or purchased, and when I have the hidden full screen reading option turned on. I don't justify the text, but I think it makes this problem worse.

As to styles, the ones that get into all my books are:
Code:
body {
  display: block;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
p {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
}
.sceneBreak {
  margin-top: 2em;
  text-indent: 0;
}
h2 + p, h3 + p, h4 + p, hr + p {
  text-indent: 0;
}
I sometimes change the value for the text-indent and sceneBreak margin-top depending on how I feel and if the original version seemed to have a particular style.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only time I notice this is with kepubs, sideloaded or purchased, and when I have the hidden full screen reading option turned on. I don't justify the text, but I think it makes this problem worse.

As to styles, the ones that get into all my books are:

Code:
body {
  display: block;
}
I sometimes change the value for the text-indent and sceneBreak margin-top depending on how I feel and if the original version seemed to have a particular style.
Hmmm... my body style is a bit different but then I use different classes for different areas especially the full page images so almost always use <body class='tag">. Some of the items are due more to having adding them once and never removing them than to any real functionality.

Code:
.epub  {
    display : block;
    font-size : 1em;
    margin : 0 0 0 0;
    padding : 0 0 0 0;
    text-align : left;
    widows : 1;
    orphans : 1;
    -epub-hyphens : auto;
    -webkit-hyphens : auto;
    adobe-hyphenate : auto;
    }
Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Code:
p {
text-indent: 1.5em;
line-spacing: 100%;
}
p.first {
text-indent: 0em;
line-spacing: 100%;
}
Probably not the cause of your problem, but line-spacing is not a CSS property.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
hleo12
Zealot
hleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Probably not the cause of your problem, but line-spacing is not a CSS property.
yeah, sorry. I just mistyped in but it's line-height in all of my css files... Anyway the post is edited now...

On a different note, has there been any work-around for the fullscreen text cutoff with KePubs?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
You don't need a line-height of 100%. It can be removed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
hleo12
Zealot

Thanks guys... I'll be sure to steal those CSS codes... On a happier note, it seems that it really was only happening in that particular book.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
When you have a problem, the thing to do is to check out that particular ePub. There are lots of way to improperly code the CSS.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you have a problem, the thing to do is to check out that particular ePub. There are lots of way to improperly code the CSS.
Or for even more fun, try coding the CSS to work properly on multiple devices AND remain standards compliant. Herding cats at it's best.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote