Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Kobo Aura or Aura HD?

got a $40 discount coupon for the Kobo Aura. Don't know which one to choose; Aura or the Aura HD with no coupon. I am really simple , just want an ereader to replace my sony PRS-T1. Don't know about Calibre or collections, just need a good quality frontlit ereader, purchasing books from Kobo store (never bought books other than Sony store or Amazon on my ipad).
I read magazines on my ipad. Just need a good ereader, easy to purchase books.
Any suggestions or advice welcome. My birthday is coming up this week
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
The Aura HD is discontinued. You want to consider the Aura H2O with the new Carta high resolution screen.

The 6.8" size and much nicer screen (IMHO) is enough to go with the H2O instead of the Aura.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Section8
Zealot
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (daughter), Sony PRST1
If you mean the JUSTFORYOU promo code, I think it only works for the Aura, not the HD. At least, for me, it won't work for the HD or H2O. I wish it worked for one of those.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
If you mean the JUSTFORYOU promo code, I think it only works for the Aura, not the HD. At least, for me, it won't work for the HD or H2O. I wish it worked for one of those.
Yes, that discount. It is for the Aura. So it is $99.99. Good deal or not? Or pay more and get something different (better?).
Like I mentioned, just need a good ereader.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
disconnected
Connoisseur
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAQ 4700
Happy Birthday!

I don't have an HD but I have both the 6" Aura and the Aura H2O (as well as a Kindle PW1 and a Kindle Voyage).

The H2O has the nicest screen of any ereader I've seen -- the color, resolution, and screen size are wonderful. I'm very happy with it.

That said, if I could only own one ereader it would be the 6" Aura because it's the most portable. I used to use ereaders at home and my phone everywhere else. The Aura is so small and light (and I have a very light case on it) that I put it in my purse whenever I leave the house. I'm seriously tempted to use the coupon to buy a spare.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
PixelKnight
PixelKnight doesn't litterPixelKnight doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite
Happy birthday! The screen is the big selling point for the Kobo Aura HD at 6.8" (almost a full inch larger than the 6" industry standard). But if you're looking for portability like disconnected said the Kobo Aura might be a better choice imo.
PixelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
I don't have an Aura myself, but I remember seeing a few posts around where they thought the text didn't look as sharp or clear as on the Glo and the Aura HD or H2O. Quite a few are very happy with the Aura though. Just another thing to consider if you want it for your main reading pleasure.
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
anacreon
Addict
anacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdomanacreon is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: sony prs-t2, aura 6" + h2o
I've had the Aura HD + the Aura 6" as a spare and for public transport: the HD + cover was much more heavy, and I could tolerate the poorer reading quality of the 6" for a short while (I'm liable to read some 5 hours a day - mostly at night so I need good lighting - when at home).

When the HD died on me, I had to do with the 6" for some 3 weeks until the H2o was available in France, and I was first in line at the Fnac on October 10 - they hadn't even unpacked it when I arrived. Now, I have two handbags with a right-sized specific pocket to protect my nacked H2o. Its weight is similar to the 6" plus sleeve, and I don't have to synchronize readers all the time.

The 6" is relegated to spare status: I was very happy to have it when the HD died, and I still take it with me when going on holiday: it would be a total disaster if I had to do without, and one never knows what might happen.

EDIT:
* My first reader was a Sony PRS-T1, the second a T2. Whichever reader you choose, it will be a huge jump in quality. I've kept the T2 because some of my PDFs can only be read on it, and the dictionaries (not single language unfortunately except for English) are much better, but the quality is so much poorer that I can't go back to it.
* If you go for the H2o, consider adding a skin to the front: the bezel shows finger-marks - pity they didn't go for the very satisfying rubber feel of the back.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, HD, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Yes, that discount. It is for the Aura. So it is $99.99. Good deal or not? Or pay more and get something different (better?).
Like I mentioned, just need a good ereader.
It is a good deal, and should be perfectly adequate. I can read on mine for hours at a time. It is only when I compare it side by side with other kobo ereaders that I notice the text is not quite as dark or sharp. The AURA has the perfect size and form factor. Plus you can get a really nice slim case from Amazon or ebay for under $15.

I'd say, get it, and you'll be happy with it....hopefully. (Mine has a pin prick of light, but I got it used, so....)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo, Nook Glow
I have the Aura and a Glo and a H20. Yes the text clarity is sharper on the Glo and obviously the new H20, but the Aura is still s lovely, compact very tactile device with a more than adequate screen, and certainly if you don't have anything else to compare it with the Aura is a very good ereader. I read on mine for a year without any issues at all.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
bcgirl
Groupie

deleted

Last edited by bcgirl; 11-17-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
You don't want the HD. It's out of production. It's the H2O you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've had the Aura HD + the Aura 6" as a spare and for public transport: the HD + cover was much more heavy, and I could tolerate the poorer reading quality of the 6" for a short while (I'm liable to read some 5 hours a day - mostly at night so I need good lighting - when at home).

When the HD died on me, I had to do with the 6" for some 3 weeks until the H2o was available in France, and I was first in line at the Fnac on October 10 - they hadn't even unpacked it when I arrived. Now, I have two handbags with a right-sized specific pocket to protect my nacked H2o. Its weight is similar to the 6" plus sleeve, and I don't have to synchronize readers all the time.

The 6" is relegated to spare status: I was very happy to have it when the HD died, and I still take it with me when going on holiday: it would be a total disaster if I had to do without, and one never knows what might happen.

EDIT:
* My first reader was a Sony PRS-T1, the second a T2. Whichever reader you choose, it will be a huge jump in quality. I've kept the T2 because some of my PDFs can only be read on it, and the dictionaries (not single language unfortunately except for English) are much better, but the quality is so much poorer that I can't go back to it.
* If you go for the H2o, consider adding a skin to the front: the bezel shows finger-marks - pity they didn't go for the very satisfying rubber feel of the back.
You mean the quality of either Kobo Aura or HD will be better than Sony PRS-T1, Anacreon? From what I read here the Kobo Aura is more of a spare ereader for most people, good for a backup.
For me it will be my main reader, something to (easy) purchase books, frontlit and not that heavy as my ipad.
Consider a Kindle too, as I love buying books from Amazon, but don't know much of these devices.
Thanks everyone for your opinions, it is really helpful. And I hope to get an ereader soon!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
You mean the quality of either Kobo Aura or HD will be better than Sony PRS-T1, Anacreon? From what I read here the Kobo Aura is more of a spare ereader for most people, good for a backup.
For me it will be my main reader, something to (easy) purchase books, frontlit and not that heavy as my ipad.
I'm happy with mine as a main reader, and have been for nearly a year.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, HD, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Consider a Kindle too, as I love buying books from Amazon, but don't know much of these devices.
For a beginner, and since you love to buy books from Amazon, you might strongly consider the Paperwhite 2. It is very easy to use, and a high quality product, backed by excellent customer service.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote