Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Chapters return misconception

Today I called Chapters customer service and they said that you only have to return a Kobo Reader to one of their stores if the Reader was bought in Canada. If it's bought in the US, you can send it back for replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, PW2, iPad Air, Nexus 7.2
That was not the experience of a US member on here when they went through the process. They were told they could not return it via mail, that it had to be walked into a store. They ended up having to call Kobo. Note post here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=58

Just letting you know that they didn't seem to follow through on what they told you on the phone. Maybe they got a bad CS rep, I'm not sure. And after that post they went on to say in another post that:

Honestly, I was surprised at Chapters' response, since I was repeating back what the website and my receipt stated were the Return policies. The first dodge CS tried was 'We don't accept hardware back due to the personal info on it.' I asked how that differed from accepting it in-store, and she had to put me on hold. She did that a lot.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
icallaci
Addict
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Aura HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPad 3
Chapters told me that I could return my H20 by mail (within 30 days) from the U.S. if it was defective. It wasn't defective, so I didn't have to return it. I've ordered several times from Chapters online, and each time it has been a very positive experience.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Chapters refused to replace my defective H20 when I contacted them last Monday. I was told (via phone) that they do not replace defective hardware by mail, and I had to go through Kobo.

My replacement H20 was just delivered by FedEx from Kobo, by the way.

But Chapters was superquick on delivering to the US, and the cost was in CAD so it is cheaper to order through them.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
disconnected
Connoisseur
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAQ 4700
I called Chapters/Indigo before ordering (I'm in the US). I was told I could send an H2O back to them if it was defective.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: H2O Past: Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
Chapters refused to replace my defective H20 when I contacted them last Monday. I was told (via phone) that they do not replace defective hardware by mail, and I had to go through Kobo.

My replacement H20 was just delivered by FedEx from Kobo, by the way.

But Chapters was superquick on delivering to the US, and the cost was in CAD so it is cheaper to order through them.
Do you have to pay for return shipping to Kobo? I was told by an agent before starting the process that my H2O is defective and they'll provide the return shipping package, but after they send the replacement another agent keep insisting that I'll have to pay myself.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I called Chapters/Indigo before ordering (I'm in the US). I was told I could send an H2O back to them if it was defective.
Sadly, in practice this wasn't how it worked in my case. I was told point blank that Chapters did not exchange or replace defective hardware by mail, and that my only option was to mail it to someone in Canada and have them exchange it at a B&M store for me.

Maybe I got a new or bad CS rep, but she did put me on hold repeatedly like she was checking with someone else.

I'd be glad to hear this is the case, and that if anyone else in the US has to exchange their H20 that Chapters does honor their return. I just want folks to be aware of my experience with Chapters, as I was surprised and displeased with how it was handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Do you have to pay for return shipping to Kobo? I was told by an agent before starting the process that my H2O is defective and they'll provide the return shipping package, but after they send the replacement another agent keep insisting that I'll have to pay myself.
Yes, the return shipping cost is on me. Not ideal at all, but the address is in California, so at least it's cheaper than shipping to Canada.

This is my second hardware exchange through Kobo to the US, and both times I have had good luck with their CS agents. This time I didn't have to go through any back and forth via Chat or Email. Five minutes on the phone after maybe 2 minutes on hold was all it took. Thanks, Vanessa at Kobo!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is my second hardware exchange through Kobo to the US, and both times I have had good luck with their CS agents. This time I didn't have to go through any back and forth via Chat or Email. Five minutes on the phone after maybe 2 minutes on hold was all it took. Thanks, Vanessa at Kobo!
What is the number you called to get a hold of Kobo CS? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
sharphamster
Anathema Device

I called (800) 368-5390 after getting a ticket number from the website here. I uploaded my receipt at the time there too.

When you call, you input the ticket #.

Here's hoping anyone who has to exchange has the same good luck I did. My new H20 has a great screen, btw.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I called (800) 368-5390 after getting a ticket number from the website here. I uploaded my receipt at the time there too.

When you call, you input the ticket #.

Here's hoping anyone who has to exchange has the same good luck I did. My new H20 has a great screen, btw.
Thank you very much for this information. I hope I won't need it, but it's good to have just in case.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Sony PRS-T1 Red
Perhaps they've updated their website since Sharphamster's experience, but it now states directly that Kobo ereaders must be returned to a store.

http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/de...id/61/session/

So buyer be aware.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Perhaps they've updated their website since Sharphamster's experience, but it now states directly that Kobo ereaders must be returned to a store.

http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/de...id/61/session/

So buyer be aware.
Indeed.

I don't see the line about Chapters "ordering a replacement" in case of defect any longer either, and that was there Monday. I know because I read it back to CS while I was on the phone with them.

Interesting that CS is telling people the opposite.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM   #13
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: H2O Past: Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Yes, the return shipping cost is on me. Not ideal at all, but the address is in California, so at least it's cheaper than shipping to Canada.
That is very disappointing. I can somewhat understand if it's the standard one year warranty period, but this is brand new. To top that off, the replacement seem to have the same problem. I'm still trying to convince them right now, but your experience make me worry. What funny is that I already have the replacement but I'm pretty sure that have no way to charge me since they never hold my credit card info. I only bought two books from Rakuten JP and I'm pretty sure they cannot save it.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote