Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Vax
Vax began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy My Aura HD died

Hey guys,

I don't know what to do. I was reading a book, trying to turn a page while suddenly the screen froze. Nothing worked anymore. Holding every button for a long time did nothing but make the screen go white, not responding anymore. I then let it charge overnight and tried to reset (tiny hole on bottom) it in the morning without any luck.

The symptoms are:

- Turn on device
- White LED turns on
- Screen flashes White/Black/White/Black/White
- LED flashes 3 times, LED turns off, sometimes LED stays on
- Screen stays white nothing happens

What I tried:

- Holding every button in every possible combination for about up to 1 minute and shorter
- Resetting again
- Charging again, this time ~2days
- Connecting via USB, nothing happens

Note:

- After the first reset and letting it charge for the first time over night (~8h) the soft reset (light button + power on button long press together) seemed to work, I saw the "Resetting device, please wait" screen for a couple of seconds before it froze again, so the display is fine I think, after that the white screen returned

The device:

- Got it July 2013
- Updated firmware
- Installed Kobo privacy thing so that it doesn't talks home (host stuff)
- Installed Kobo nightmode
- Uploaded my ebook collection via Calibre
- Never connected it via USB again (no updates, no further installations)
- Never connected to anything via Wifi again

Anyone got any idea I could try before throwing it away?

Cheers,
Vax

Last edited by Vax; 09-16-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Vax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
I assume that you would know if something physical happened to it? Dropped to the floor, got soaked, microwaved? How about mods, dual booting, running Android?

If the electronics still work, you can get an image of the internal uSD card and write a good image onto that card or a larger replacement card. Check threads on the "Kobo Developers Corner" subforum.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Vax
Vax began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I assume that you would know if something physical happened to it? Dropped to the floor, got soaked, microwaved? How about mods, dual booting, running Android?

If the electronics still work, you can get an image of the internal uSD card and write a good image onto that card or a larger replacement card. Check threads on the "Kobo Developers Corner" subforum.

Luck;
Ken
Nothing happened to it. No mods apart from those I listed. Since the device isn't getting recognized via USB I'm not sure I will be able "to talk to it". Anyway can you point me to a helpful thread? I can't find anything that could help me.
Vax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
"Bricked AuraHD" might be a place to start. The sticky listing of Mods, tricks & patches has a listing that describes opening your device and replacing the internal uSD card.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
One simple thing I don't see a mention of is trying a different cable to charge it, from a wall charger, then full factory reset.

If it's in the warranty period, think twice before opening it up, as that will void your warranty.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
crochetgeek2010
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Time for replacement

Hi,
My Aura HD did the same thing. Call and get it replaced. It will not comeback Replacement was a good thing.

Laura
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

It may be obvious, but you didn’t mention it: did you try to restart your Aura HD using a pin? The pin hole is on the bottom side (beside USB and SD ports).
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
anacreon
Groupie
anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.anacreon can really shake a tail feather.

Device: sony prs-t2, kobo aura HD + aura 6"
mine died September 15...

I just noticed this thread, and it sounds somewhat like the problem I outlined in the thread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246394. I thought at the time it was caught by my manipulations around a (bought) unsatisfying epub. Now I don't know.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote