Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo
Is there a way to exange information between 2 kobo's ?

Hi.
I am reading sideloaded epubs.
Is there a way that the Kobo Aura HD downstairs know, where I stopped reading with the Kobo Glo in bedroom ?
Or a way to do this ( I now write page numbers on a paper, but there must be a more easy way ? )

If that is not possible, how on 2 Glo's ?

( I have 2 Glo and one Aura HD )
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, iPhone, iPad, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab3 8
Look at Kobo Utilities plugin. It allows to store the position from an ereader and, later, send it to other device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindNick_1964 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Look at Kobo Utilities plugin. It allows to store the position from an ereader and, later, send it to other device.
You mean for Calibre ?? because that is not an option, I have no computer upstairs ??
It must be between the devices... I believe pocket is not able to just leave reminders,it is more that you can store articles you find..
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, iPhone, iPad, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab3 8
I've read it later (no coffee yet ), and I'm afraid I don't know any way, sorry.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
For sideloaded books, there is no method to sync between devices except via the calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For sideloaded books, there is no method to sync between devices except via the calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin.
Is it possible, before I gonna make an account and all things like that, to put in "pocket" something like book this, page that, then with a pocket sync I am able to read on the Aura ?

I am playing with the Kobo plugin now.
The wole idea was, keep the glo in the bedroom, use the Aura in the livingroom, If I have to take them both downstairs and use it on calibre then the whole idea is gone, as it is already downstairs I can read further.

But from Pocket I understand,it only stores articles found with the browser,but you can't make plain notes..
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
hleo12
Zealot
hleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhleo12 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo
What you want to happen is really impossible for side-loaded books without connecting them to a computer and using the Kobo Utilities plugin with Calibre. You can only sync books with books directly purchased from Kobo.

What I want to know is why can't you just lug one device around the house?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
What you want to happen is really impossible for side-loaded books without connecting them to a computer and using the Kobo Utilities plugin with Calibre. You can only sync books with books directly purchased from Kobo.

What I want to know is why can't you just lug one device around the house?
I don't say I want to sync the books because I know from the other people that it is not possible, just share the information about the page I ended upstairs is enough,and by now I know that pocket only shares html links, so that isn't an option neither.

About your question, do you lug your tv around the house, or do you maybe have a second one in the bedroom,why do we need laptop's, you can lug your home pc and monitor by the house, no problem, pocket vacuum cleaner,why... second toilet.. you can go downstairs and pee.
Why need a tablet,when you have your desktop that runs on android to with Blue Stack.
Because it is handy !
Why do I have over 150 mechanical watches..because I collect them and repair them.
I don't see why it is relevant to know to solve my question, as the title is,is there a way to exange information between 2 Kobo's like the last page I read.
Not to sync entire sideloaded books.
In my country the Kobo store is the most expensive one there is and they have maybe 20% of the titles, while Google books is about 60% cheaper.

But, I will answer.
Why first:
I have the Kobo Aura HD and it is beautiful but the format isn't to handy to read in bed, together with the sleep cover it is rather heavvy.
So I get myself a Glo, that is more handy by it's size to handle,keep it in one hand in bed and use the Aura HD downstairs.
The way I do it now is just use my phone and Google Keep, enter the title of the book and the last page I read.
Next day,when I go out of bed and want to read some, I open the desktopversion of Google Keep,see the book,see the page and use the slider of the Aura HD to continue reading.

And why, second: I have just been fired from the hospital after 2 weeks,got a pulmonary embolism at both lungs, they have to reset my heart twice with an electric shock to keep it beat under the 80 beats a minute and I have a lung infarct caused by the pulmonary embolism that killed 40% of my lung tissue at both sides, so I am glad that I have a second e-reader without running up and down the stairs with it..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-22-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
I believe that if you use one of the alternative readers (koreader or cool reader) that the option exists to sync the position via one of the cloud storage providers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that if you use one of the alternative readers (koreader or cool reader) that the option exists to sync the position via one of the cloud storage providers.
I gonna dig into that,thank you,first now "grandddad" has to lay down.. very tired.. yip..
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@Nick_64
I'm so sorry to hear about your serious health condition. I wish you all the best in finding ways to cope with your current situation!

As for exchanging information between your two readers: You could write an email that includes book title and page to yourself via the web browser, and then read it on the other device. I know it is not very comfortable.

I would possibly go for a solution that uses
- a web space with php support for receiving and sending data
- wget on your device for receiving and sending information as post-data (wget is already available with the original software of your kobo readers).
I do not have yet specific ideas on how to input the data that you want to exchange. Since there is a version of sqlite3 for kobo, one could maybe also find a way to synchronize the data base entries (together with a disciplined usage of the two devices). Maybe somebody can find a solution.

Using one of an alternative reader, as proposed by PeterT, might indeed be easier (if this function is actually available).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
@Nick_64
I'm so sorry to hear about your serious health condition. I wish you all the best in finding ways to cope with your current situation!

As for exchanging information between your two readers: You could write an email that includes book title and page to yourself via the web browser, and then read it on the other device. I know it is not very comfortable.

I would possibly go for a solution that uses
- a web space with php support for receiving and sending data
- wget on your device for receiving and sending information as post-data (wget is already available with the original software of your kobo readers).
I do not have yet specific ideas on how to input the data that you want to exchange. Since there is a version of sqlite3 for kobo, one could maybe also find a way to synchronize the data base entries (together with a disciplined usage of the two devices). Maybe somebody can find a solution.

Using one of an alternative reader, as proposed by PeterT, might indeed be easier (if this function is actually available).
Dear Peter,
It was not,with my health,what I had in mind,for heaven sakes, I am only 50 but the doctor told me that if I waited one day,they bring me to the hospital too,only to the morgue...he wanted to shock me and he did.
I correct ebooks from PDF so i sit the whole day, my dog died so I don't go out 3 times a day for a walk, and that was the perfect condition for the cloths to go from my left leg where they grow in the vanes, into the bloodstream, blocking the main vanes to my lungs for more then 80%.
I didn't know how to get air,and about 40% of both lung tissue died (that will never come back again) so I get 2 injections into the belly every day to get the blood thinner so it can pass,the body itself have to remove the cloths and I get Marcoumar ( maybe you know it) to keep it thin but then,because of the gasping for air, the heart starts pumping at >180 beats a minute and that doesn't feel so great, so they have to reset it twice.
I am now allowed to sit one hour behind the computer ( ehh before, behind are only cables) then I have to walk around the table some times, then one hour on the sofa.

The Glo and Aura HD uses the same amount of pages.. how to say... the Aura uses 2 times to read a whole real page, the Glo 3.
But at the bottom,they say the same, for example page 12 of 400.
The Aura HD, when you go to the next page, says 2 times page 12 of 400 and the Glo 3 times.
So lets say Divergence, I am upstairs with the Glo on page 66 of 550 I just have to go on the Aura HD to that same page and then I am just one pageturn away from where I finished on the Glo.
I don't land exactly at the same place, but close enough to pick the story on.
So when I read 30 pages, and I send 96 of 550 to the Glo, I use the page slider to go to 96 and I am there where I left downstairs.
So the only information I have to send up and down, from Glo to Aura HD is just the pagenumber ( I do remember which book I am reading )
With Calibre I put exactly the same books on the Glo and Aura HD so the only information I have to send is the page I left, to pick it up on the Glo.
So I am now using some piece of paper,write down 96 of 550 (the 550 isn't needed to) and Upstairs I slide to that page and continue,when I go to sleep I write down where I stop,take the paper with me the next morning...and so on,and so on.
I only wanted that I could change the paper for something on the device to use,because when I forget the paper, I still have to go upstairs to get it and then I am just to tired.
So twice a day I have to send a page number so I know on the other device where to go..thats all..
Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Theoretically, what you want is possible. The device records the current reading position in the database, copy that somewhere else and then to another device is what you want. The Kobu Utilities does this via calibre. And Kobo does it via a server for purchased kepubs. All it needs is for someone to write the code that runs on a device and to have a server somewhere that it can talk to. That is roughly what tshering is suggesting.

The simplest way I can think of to do it in a manual way at the moment is via a web site with a simple text field you can enter and store the page number. That needs someone to write some simple PHP or similar code to display the page and store. Goodreads already has something like this.You can record the books you are reading and the page number as you go. It seems to be working OK using the browser in my Glo. If you set this as the home page in the browser, it would be reasonably easy to access.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
DUH... Was about to say the page # would be an issue, but of course... as long as you're reading ePub format it's constant, and not based on the font size.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
DUH... Was about to say the page # would be an issue, but of course... as long as you're reading ePub format it's constant, and not based on the font size.
I only read epubs, and only in amasis font, every e-book I convert with Calibre to get out the original fonts and replace them by amasis.
For example A book I ordered yesterday, in Kobo shop €15,- at Google books €8,- and my wife is using the sony which can't use the kepub so I have to convert them anyway... otherwise I have to store the books in 2 places: kepubs and epubs.
In my country it is legal to sell your e-books like a normal book, you upload it to the site when you are finished reading, the site removes the old watermark and insert a new one,and when someone else buy it, the book will be removed from the site and you get your money.
Then you have to remove the copy from your own reader,as it belongs not any longer to you ( but no one is coming in to see if I do) but they don't accept kepubs.