Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
neonbible
Groupie
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone 5, New iPad, Paperwhite
Get/download books from iBooks to machine?

Is there any way to extract books from iBooks back to my PC/Mac?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
drofgnal
Evangelist
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4NT/iphone/ipad/ipad mini
Just do a backup and sync in itunes. If you sync, then anything you downloaded directly to ibooks on you ipad from the ibooks store should show up in you books folder in itunes. You can then move it anywhere you want.

The reverse works as well. I've gotten a few epub formats from project Guttenburg and placed them in itunes books folder and sync'd so they would show up in itunes.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
neonbible
Groupie
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

I don't sync books in iTunes, just manage manually using drag and drop. I can get epub files onto my iPhone no problem, but not the reverse.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
hmm, bought a book on the iPad

Now it does not sync to my Mac. I did some research and it seems all thats necessary is that you are logged in to the iTunes store on the Mac with the same account used to buy the book.

Thats the case. Still no go

The book on the iPad is protected, but I thought this is only their form of saying that there is DRM inside?
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I don't know if this works on iBooks purchases or not, but I seem to remember that you could right click on your device in the iTunes sidebar and select some option about transferring purchased content to the computer.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

will give that a try later at home.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
drofgnal
Evangelist
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I don't sync books in iTunes, just manage manually using drag and drop. I can get epub files onto my iPhone no problem, but not the reverse.
You will have to go through a backup and sync to do what you want. It's not that big a deal to do so.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
harakiri
Groupie

@ Rob_E:

worked like a charm

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
neonbible
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
You will have to go through a backup and sync to do what you want. It's not that big a deal to do so.
It is a big deal, I hate the whole syncing feature of iTunes. Because with syncing it can also delete content. Syncing should never delete content, but only update what isn't on each side.

Anyway I found a rather crude way of doing it by getting "iPhone Explorer". I can see a folder on there which contains all the ebooks. I could drag it off to my machine as a folder (appears iBooks unpacks the epub file). I zipped it up and renamed it to .epub but it didnt work. What I did in the end was imported all the XHTML files into Sigil and rebuilt the book.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
drofgnal
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
It is a big deal, I hate the whole syncing feature of iTunes. Because with syncing it can also delete content. Syncing should never delete content, but only update what isn't on each side.

Anyway I found a rather crude way of doing it by getting "iPhone Explorer". I can see a folder on there which contains all the ebooks. I could drag it off to my machine as a folder (appears iBooks unpacks the epub file). I zipped it up and renamed it to .epub but it didnt work. What I did in the end was imported all the XHTML files into Sigil and rebuilt the book.
Did you try Rob_E's suggestion?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
neonbible
Groupie

They are my own eBooks and weren't purchased.

Only reason I wanted to do this is because I dont have access to my own PC at the moment so can't get the eBook on file to read on another machine.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
drofgnal
Evangelist

Ok, I understand. I had sync problems when using two different machines, my work and home one. I load everything up and have it backed up at home. If I plugged in at work, it would sync and wipe out everything and I'd have to resync at home.

Once you limit youself and get all the settings right on one computer, you'll not have any trouble and syncing and backup will be seamless.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
There's a product called iPad ePub transfer from aieesoft which does exactly what you want it will plop ePub books into the iPad or copy them out.

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
The Old Man
Addict
The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, PaperWhite 2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
There's a product called iPad ePub transfer from aieesoft which does exactly what you want it will plop ePub books into the iPad or copy them out.

Iain
This is a partial reply from aieesoft support:
"But we want to confirm that the iPad Tranfer can not copy the ebooks from the iPad to the PC. The other function, like load and convert DVD files can work successfully."

I downloaded their trial version and when it would NOT copy an ebook from the iPad to the PC I wrote support.

Rob-Es suggestion, will transfer all your ebook purchases to iTunes and then they can be copied (right click) and pasted to your hard drive (wherever).

But... they have Apple's unique DRM protection so they cannot be copied to any other device

I know of no way to remove the DRM from an Apple ebook - thus, I won't buy any ebooks from Apple.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote