Xabache
Carbon Reserve
Xabache began at the beginning.

Device: PC
repacking mobi error

unzip a standard mobi file
rezip the resulting 4 folders and 1 file, without the unzip folder
rename to a mobi extension. does not open in kindle pc

can mobi files not be repacked? is there a special utility to do this? I am trying to create my own mobi files without a utility like pocket or ecub using only the raw files and a winrar utility

but for my demo i am unpacking an ecub created perfectly functional mobi file. i can take it apart but why cant i run it after putting all the pieces back together?
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
A MOBI file isn't a renamed ZIP file, it is a PRC file (originally designed for a Palm PDA).

An ePub is a ZIP file, renamed .epub, but the first file in the ZIP Container MUST be ‘mimetype’ which holds the MIME type for the ZIP Container (i.e., “application/epub+zip”). The file MUST NOT be compressed nor encrypted and there MUST NOT be an extra field in its ZIP header.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Xabache
Carbon Reserve
Xabache began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Hmm very interesting thank you, I did not know this.

So then, what i want to do is create a mobi file from its constituent folders and files, that one finds when one unzips a mobi. it may not be a zip but it can be unzipped into these components. so i am going to create these components exactly as they are there, for ease of mass production. then put them into a mobi file or as you say prc. how can i do this?

how do i turn these four folders and .opf file into a mobi without using one of the conventional do it all clients, i only want to pack them, i will create their ingredients myself.
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
I suggest using the MobiPocket toots, either MobiPocket Creator or the command line tool kindlegen. See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
that one finds when one unzips a mobi. it may not be a zip but it can be unzipped into these components.
I fear that you are still confused. A mobi file cannot be unzipped. If it can be unzipped... it wasn't a mobi file. Mobi's must be unpacked... with MobiPerl tools or MobiUnpack.

You may be thinking of an OEBPS compliant archive (almost an epub) that can be used to create a mobi. But once it's been turned into mobi: winzip, winrar, 7zip, or any standard archiving program won't be able to do anything with it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Exml
Exml began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But once it's been turned into mobi: winzip, winrar, 7zip, or any standard archiving program won't be able to do anything with it.
Then why when I convert an ePub into .mobi using kindelGen I can unpack/uncompress it with 7zip?

Although I can't with WinZip.

Must be some kind of compression that's not used a lot.
Exml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exml View Post
Then why when I convert an ePub into .mobi using kindelGen I can unpack/uncompress it with 7zip?

Although I can't with WinZip.

Must be some kind of compression that's not used a lot.
Kindlegen includes the zipped up source as part of the produced file. You are only unzipping the original source (which is included as one of the database records) ... not the actual mobi.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Exml

Thank you DiapDealer for your answer, I guess that makes sense cause the file produced was twice the size of the unzipped folder, I was wondering how that was possible

Can I ask where did you get that info ? (not that I don't trust you, but is there a doc that explains that).

Thanks again for your answer.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can I ask where did you get that info ?
From methodically and systematically dismantling the files produced by kindlegen. I know of no document that plainly states that kindlegen's output includes a zip file of the original source, but honestly ... proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

One thread down is a discussion about a tool that can be used to strip the source package from kindlegen's output.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Exml

Thank you.