Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
edbro
Warthog Driver
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Question for PRS-650 owners

I currently have the PRS-505 but I have a 650 on order. On the 505 the epubs show an annoying page number in the right hand column that sometimes overlaps the document text. Does the 650 do this also?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Nope that's gone in the 650
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
And the 650 also supports full justification.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Full justification for the win here... nothing like being able to use all your readers' screen real estate!

... although, it does seem to default back to the normal setting in some circumstances.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
Nope that's gone in the 650
Can you turn the page numbers on? If not, you wouldn't be able to, say, go to the second paragraph on page 113 because your friend says it's really interesting.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Page numbers are still shown on the bottom. It is very easy to navigate to a specifc page by tapping the bottom bar then manually entering the page number.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Page numbers are still shown on the bottom. It is very easy to navigate to a specifc page by tapping the bottom bar then manually entering the page number.
Excellent, thanks! Can you tell me if full justification significantly slows down epub loading and/or page turn times?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I had a 600 before upgrading to a 650 and see no difference in loading and page turn times between the two devices.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
I find page turns noticeably faster on the 650 than they were in my 505. Opening a new book for the first time is a tad slow IMHO, but I'm used to it now.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I had a 600 before upgrading to a 650 and see no difference in loading and page turn times between the two devices.
Interesting. I would have expected some slowdown (due to needing to know exactly how large each word in a line is before spacing them out evenly). Maybe they build a look-up table of previously kerned words as they go along. Anyway, it is very good news, and you've made me a lot less nervous about upgrading from my 505 to a 650 some day.

Last edited by rkomar; 10-25-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
The 650 is a significant improvement on the 505.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
grooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Interesting. I would have expected some slowdown (due to needing to know exactly how large each word in a line is before spacing them out evenly). Maybe they build a look-up table of previously kerned words as they go along. Anyway, it is very good news, and you've made me a lot less nervous about upgrading from my 505 to a 650 some day.
If you are comparing to the 505, the 650 is noticably faster moving between menus and in-book page turns.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Excellent, thanks! Can you tell me if full justification significantly slows down epub loading and/or page turn times?
Nope... seems the same to me (I only got mine yesterrday, so I'm testing all that stuff )
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Full justification for the win here... nothing like being able to use all your readers' screen real estate!

... although, it does seem to default back to the normal setting in some circumstances.
um.. no...Justification on the 650 in ePub is up to the coding in the ePub. Sometimes the ePub is set for left. Mostly it's set for full. But not always. So if you get a book that is left justified, it's not a problem with the 650. It's the way the ePub was made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I find page turns noticeably faster on the 650 than they were in my 505. Opening a new book for the first time is a tad slow IMHO, but I'm used to it now.
I was comparing the two new models in Waterstones recently and got the impression that the 350 had slightly faster page turns than the 650. Of course it's showing less text on each page, which may account for it (and means more page turns in you're hunting for something in the text, which is when the slowness becomes irritating).

Both are definitely faster than my 505.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote