Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Format Question

I just got a Sony PRS 350. I have a Kindle, but I wanted to be able to download library books. So far I really like it. I haven't had any trouble downloading library books. Mostly I buy from Amazon so I will stick to my Kindle for those, but sometimes I buy from Baen or other non DRMed sources. Is there a preferred file format for the Sony?
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 & Blackberry Z30 (all with Fbreader)
Sony's preferred format is epub.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Sony's preferred format is epub.
An for me and my Kindle, I prefer to download ePub from most non-DRM sources, particularily Baen.

In my experience, too many "Kindle" files are old PRC Mobipocket files that haven't been updated and have poorly configured metadata (title, author, cover image, ...). The ePubs aren't often better, but I convert to MOBI using Calibre, fixing the metadata in the process. Having the ePub lets me use Sigil to fix bigger issues that occur occasionally, and downloading the ePub saves the extra format conversion (PRC>ePub) in Calibre.

Bottom line: download the ePub for either your Sony or, via Calibre, you Kindle.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote