Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Countryboy
Countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Nook / Other Device Communications?

I do not have a Nook (yet) but I am really leaning towards the Nook for a number of reasons. I think I will wait until after next Tuesday to see what the big announcement is before I buy what may be suddenly old technology.

To my question - Is the Nook a part of my wireless network as a device and can be seen and accessed by other computers on my network?

The other part of that question is - once my Nook is connected to my wireless network or connected by USB wired connection, can I move files (books, magazines, etc,) back and forth between the Nook and my computer? Assuming of course that I download the Nook application to my computer.

Thanks
Countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
To my question - Is the Nook a part of my wireless network as a device and can be seen and accessed by other computers on my network?

The other part of that question is - once my Nook is connected to my wireless network or connected by USB wired connection, can I move files (books, magazines, etc,) back and forth between the Nook and my computer? Assuming of course that I download the Nook application to my computer.

Thanks
there's no yes or no answer to that. nook connected via usb maps 2 drives on your Windows PC, so you can access both the built in memory as 1 drive and extra SD card as second drive.

Nook is part of your wireless network. I'm sure you can ping it (although I haven't tried), so yes you can access it. But if by "access" you mean can you see nook's drives over windows' file sharing protocol over wifi then the answer is no.

Once softrooted you can also access it via adb which offers many functions from command line - running linux commands on nook and transferring files back and forth (from command line) being 2 of them. Perhaps there's a utility that has GUI for file transfer over adb but I haven't looked.

Additionally once softrooted, you can install Trook and File Manager: Trook can access your calibre library on a PC over proprietary protocol to download ebooks, and File Manager on nook can access other PCs' drives, but I haven't tried that.

Re announcement I'm sure the nook sales between now and 26th will be 0 or close to 0. As a nook owner not ready to part with this one yet, I hope it's a price cut.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
To your second part of the question: on USB, the Nook acts as a mass storage device. Just drag and drop files onto or from it to your desktop.

As for the wireless, the Nook uses your WiFi connection for Internet only. Although, running Linux, it theoretically could be set up to run a Samba daemon and become part of your LAN through WiFi. That's the beauty of Linux.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote