Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #61
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of my favs are:

Orange is for Anguish, Blue for Insanity by David Morrell
At My Back I Always Hear by David Morrell
The Ehrengraph Defense by Lawrence Block
Twenty-Three Snapshots of San Francisco by Seth Lindberg
Baby Cakes by Neil Gaiman
Mezzotint by MR James
The Monkey's Paw by W W Jacob
Triangle by Jeffrey Deaver
Without Jonathan by Jeffrey Deaver
The Weekend by Jeffrey Deaver
Some Things Don't Wash Off by Joel Arnold
1408 by Stephen King
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #62
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Fritz Leiber. SELECTED STORIES is available at Baen's Webscriptions site and also at Amazon's Kindle store.

Harlan Ellison. Check out his collections GENTLEMAN JUNKIE and SHATTERDAY in particular.

Joseph Epstein's collections THE GOLDIN BOYS and FABULOUS SMALL JEWS (the latter available for Kindle) are well worth a look.

There's not nearly enough of it available as ebooks, but the short fiction of Roger Zelazny, Theodore Sturgeon, Gerald Kersh, and Jorge Luis Borges.

Several volumes of Robert Silverberg's collected stories are available for Kindle. Ditto Richard Matheson's work.

To my knowledge none of Jack Finney's short fiction has been published in ebook formats, but if you enjoy good Twilight Zone-style fantasy you'll want to check out his collections THE THIRD LEVEL and I LOVE GALESBURG IN THE SPRINGTIME, both long out of print; the paperback collection ABOUT TIME includes selected stories from both these collections.

Bests to all,

Tony Rabig
[edit of self-promotion by moderation]

Last edited by dreams; 10-04-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: [edit of self-promotion by moderation]
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah, they just released those Silverberg volumes.

Ooooh! Just ran across this. The best of Fantasy and SF 60th anniversary anthology:

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Fant...1864794&sr=1-2

Last edited by kennyc; 04-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #64
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Thanks for mentioning Saki! I hadn't heard of him before; I really like his stuff. Anybody know how many short stories he's done? I'm currently compiling 170 of his stories into epub and mobi formats. I want to make sure I get as many as I can.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #65
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
Thanks for mentioning Saki! I hadn't heard of him before; I really like his stuff. Anybody know how many short stories he's done? I'm currently compiling 170 of his stories into epub and mobi formats. I want to make sure I get as many as I can.
I bought his "complete works" on Books on Board and they mention 125 short stories, 3 novels and 3 plays. Either you have duplicates, or my "complete" works are not as complete as they claim.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #66
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Look at haytom.us. There are 170 on the stories page, if I'm counting right. One is in several chapters, though.
EDIT: Okay, before I had used a download manager to get all the stories, and I had judged by the number of files. After actually counting, I got 139.

Last edited by Mario1up; 04-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #67
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
O Henry. His works should be public domain by now. I couldn't find them on the MR book list though.

I especially liked:
-Last Leaf
-The Ransom of Red Chief (This was my mother's favorite! I have no idea why.)
-A Retrieved Reformation
-Gift Of The Magi

Most his short stories are available online.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #68
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Melancholy Elephants by Spider Robinson

OMG -- it's available online from Robinson's website.

"Copyright is a hot-button topic these days. Does information want to be free…or just reasonably priced? I discussed copyright at some length 25 years ago—a year before the first TCP/IP wide area network in the world went operational—two years before the first Macintosh went on sale!—in the following story. It won the 1983 Hugo Award for Best Short Story, and I hope you’ll still find it illuminating today."

Last edited by hrynkiw; 04-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #69
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here are a few of my favorite short stories.

Nightfall - Isaac Asimov
The 9 Billion Names Of God - Arthur C Clarke
The Star - Arthur C Clarke
The Possessed - Arthur C Clarke
I Remember Babylon - Arthur C Clarke
Green Hills of Earth - Robert A Heinlein
What Good is a Glass Dagger? - Larry Niven
Not Long Before The End - Larry Niven
Inconstant Moon - Larry Niven
All The Myriad Ways - - Larry Niven
Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex - Larry Niven
Home is the Hangman - Roger Zelazny
Horseman - Roger Zelazny
Last Defender of Camelot - Roger Zelazny
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #70
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great set there! ebusinesstutor
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #71
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
With the 25th anniversary of Stand by ME out on Blue Ray, I would like to add The Body by Stenphen King
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #72
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Google Books has a preview of Modern Classics of Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois. Pages are randomly missing but Samuel Delany's Driftglass seems to be intact.

http://books.google.com/books?id=usY...page&q&f=false
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #73
kennyc

Let's not let this thread languish. Here's Bridesicle a fun read from Asimovs:

http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_1003/art/bridesicle.pdf
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Google Books has a preview of Modern Classics of Science Fiction edited by Gardner Dozois. Pages are randomly missing but Samuel Delany's Driftglass seems to be intact.

http://books.google.com/books?id=usY...page&q&f=false
Thanks for that Ben. I love Delany!

I have that hardback as well.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #75
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, Stephen King
I liked that one too.

I'm annoyed that Sarah Selecky's collection of short stories "This Cake is for the Party" isn't e-book available. It was nominated for the Giller Prize last year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote