Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
suntower
suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Nook HD
Shakespeare With Notes?

First post.

I recently got a Nook HD (Android). It's great for a lot of things, but I am disappointed not to have found a version of Shakespeare that includes all the little footnotes I'm used to seeing (definitions, explanations, etc.)

Are there any ePub versions of Shakespeare like Pelican or the old college versions that do include all those notations?
suntower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There are a number of annotated Kindle editions, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/William-Shakes...eare+annotated. Surely some of the same books are available in ePub.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 11-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
suntower
suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.suntower knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Thanks.

The ones I've seen that were properly formatted were all Kindle. Not sure I can use Kindle format with Nook?

I checked out the one at Barnes And Noble and it -says- it's 'annotated' but the sample doesn't even have line numbers. A few 'illustrations' but that's not what I expected... you know word definitions, explanations, etc?

Basically, I just want the one I have (Pelican, Scribners, Arden) except in ePub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There are a number of annotated Kindle editions, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/William-Shakes...eare+annotated. Surely some of the same books are available in ePub.

Last edited by suntower; 11-14-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
Froide
Guru
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS4, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: NOOK Tablet, Palm devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntower View Post
The ones I've seen that were properly formatted were all Kindle. Not sure I can use Kindle format with Nook?
You can download the Kindle for Android app from the Google Play Store and use it to download and read Kindle books on your Nook.If you dislike reading via the Kindle for Android app, then download your Kindle books to your computer's Kindle app, and then import the Kindle book files into Calibre, choosing epub as the output format. You can then export the epubs to your Nook.
Froide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Moved to Reading Recs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "RSC Shakespeare" series has all the usual annotations.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
This isn't an annotated version in the sense that it's usually meant; it's just the raw texts with a few essays added on, as can be seen from the low price.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-14-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
William Shakespeare: Complete works + Extras - 73 titles (Annotated and illustrated) Kobo I don't know how good the collection is but it is in epub format.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
William Shakespeare: Complete works + Extras - 73 titles (Annotated and illustrated) Kobo I don't know how good the collection is but it is in epub format.
It costs 99p. Really, what more need be said about it?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It costs 99p. Really, what more need be said about it?
But $1.49 in U.S. dollars.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, NookSTR, KoboMini
Honestly for this one, I think I'd just have to go to the library for the Arden Shakespeare. As far as I can tell it is not in ebook.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
suntower

Well, I broke down and paid $3 for the Kindle 'Complete' version and $3 for the Delphi version.

This probably sounds finnicky, but Kindle kinda sucks... you can only view a 'sample' by logging in. And you can't view the annotations at all. And then there's this 'DRM' thing so it wouldn't work on my Nook. And while I'm ranting... why do all these damned services require one to 'register' in order just to see the -sample-? (Rhetorical question from an old fart.)

But... anyhoo... the Delphi has zero footnotes. And the Kindle version has sort of a 'glossary' with word definitions but certainly nothing like I expected.

I have heard that more and more textbooks are being done in eBook format so my hopes were a bit higher. I figured that -anything- like this would be done at the level of a college text... with lots and lots of hyperlinks to footnotes... in effect be -better- than a physical textbook. But such is not the case.

Anyhoo... it's not really a price thing. I've got arthritis and I'm finding it easier these days to read on a Tablet than on a 4lb book. But I can't imagine reading something like Shakespeare (or the Bible or lots of things) -without- all those little notes.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by suntower; 11-15-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
Rizla
Wizard
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650 / Cybook Opus / Nook STR (rooted)
If you are reading on a tablet, you could go for pdf. I think you might find more selection in that format.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #14
suntower

Thanks again for the replies.

I'll wait for that RSC version... which seems to come out next year? Sounds promising! Clearly the market is just getting started.

PDFs are -OK-, but I gotta say I'm -hooked- on decent ePubs. With PDFs I'm constantly -fighting- with the font size or the pagination.

I was initially -very- skeptical of eBooks, but the decent ones are (God help me for saying this) better than real books in many ways.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntower View Post
I have heard that more and more textbooks are being done in eBook format so my hopes were a bit higher. I figured that -anything- like this would be done at the level of a college text... with lots and lots of hyperlinks to footnotes... in effect be -better- than a physical textbook. But such is not the case.
You have to be realistic: you aren't going to get an annotated version of Shakespeare for $3. At that price these will be public domain texts.

As I mentioned, the RSC Shakespeare series is available in ebook form, and has all the usual footnotes, etc, that one would expect. But it costs a lot more than $3 .

Tags
footnotes, shakespeare