Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Ebook reader mainstream adoption

I came across an excellent news article by Gartner Research that has developed a graph which plots the current adoption of various technologies such as 3D TV, Ipads and ebook readers and many other technologies.
According to them ebook readers are about 2-5 years away from mainstream acceptance and 3D TV and IPads are at the peak of their initial hype.

Go to: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And...ustry/D2R4C8K7

to see the graph and new story.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
GA Russell
BC loses Guaranteed Win!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Kindle 4
Interesting graph!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
It's a bit odd to presume that every technology will go through a 'trough of disillusionment' in exactly the same way: surely there must have been technologies that have different shaped graphs for how expectations developed.

I think SmartHouse is right about 3D TV. The manufacturers seem to want to force them on consumers, who by and large have zero interest in this technology. Most people imagine that 3D filming will have a similar effect on the quality of plot, characterisation etc. to that special fx had in the seventies, only worse.

I don't imagine they're right about the iPad, though. Noticed in the Next catalogue (UK clothing retailer) that they were selling an OEM iPad rip-off tablet PC. Many are sick of having to sit at a computer - even a laptop - to access the internet, and long for a less powerful device that has a better form factor and doesn't produce much heat. A whole raft of iPad clones will hit the market very soon. Sure, these will hit iPad sales, but it doesn't represent a 'trough of disillusionment' with the tech: just the desire to buy the same thing more cheaply.

LOL @ 'computer-brain interface' and such Kurzweilian hints at coming 'singularity'-tech.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Actually while there are a lot of people that prefer mobile, I think there is a far larger pool of people that would prefer to have much more horsepower than the Ipad has available.

Those who really don't mind sitting in a comfy office chair to read their mail, surf the net, browse discussion boards, or even play their games.

While I don't consider myself "average" I'd never even consider trading my desktop computer for an ipad. The enthusiast can still build a desktop for less then the cost of a tricked out Ipad, and it will blow the ipad out of the water as far as computing power is concerned. So while the ipad may be a hit with some people, I think it is more of a phase than anything.

Mobility is not everything.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I'm not sure you can call it the trough of disillusionment when it is more likely to be just the lull between the early adopters and the more mainstream public that is waiting for the second and third generations to come along and fix bugs, add features, and, most importantly, lower costs.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
The "hype cycle" thing has been around for awhile, and discussed previously in respect to ebooks.

I concur it doesn't always work out the same way, e.g. sometimes you just get hype and no real payoff. But IMO the more reasonable way to handle this is just to generally ignore the hype.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
But IMO the more reasonable way to handle this is just to generally ignore the hype.
But if any of could actually do that, none of us would have bought an eReader on this side of the hype curve
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
Of note: they have separate plot points for e-ink and ebook readers.
And they paint eink as more mature than ebook readers as a category.
In other words, there is/will be more to ebooks and readers than what eink can/will deliver. No shock to the crowd round these parts but it is somewhat surprising to see the Gartner types have noticed. Those subtleties usually pass them by unnoticed.

I do wonder what their definition of mainstreaming is. Cause ebook adoption is going to be perforce constrained to the minority portion of the population that actually reads. So the absolute size of the market is aways going to be small compared to a lot of the other listed technologies/products. When their optimistic projections fall short, as they will, will they blame the product or admit their own failure?
(We know the answer to that, don't we? )
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Actually while there are a lot of people that prefer mobile, I think there is a far larger pool of people that would prefer to have much more horsepower than the Ipad has available.

Those who really don't mind sitting in a comfy office chair to read their mail, surf the net, browse discussion boards, or even play their games.

While I don't consider myself "average" I'd never even consider trading my desktop computer for an ipad. The enthusiast can still build a desktop for less then the cost of a tricked out Ipad, and it will blow the ipad out of the water as far as computing power is concerned. So while the ipad may be a hit with some people, I think it is more of a phase than anything.

I don't see it as an either-or choice. I'm sure many iPad owners have laptops or PCs, too.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
While I don't consider myself "average" I'd never even consider trading my desktop computer for an ipad. The enthusiast can still build a desktop for less then the cost of a tricked out Ipad, and it will blow the ipad out of the water as far as computing power is concerned.
That is apples and oranges. They are not performing the same function.
Yes the desktop is much more versatile and powerful. Bit less portable though?
People might well trade a netbook for an iPad though.

Quote:
So while the ipad may be a hit with some people, I think it is more of a phase than anything.

I think if you were to look at the proportion of desktop to laptop sales now vs 5 years ago and 10 years ago, mobility seems to be pretty important.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7; Superpad 10in tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think if you were to look at the proportion of desktop to laptop sales now vs 5 years ago and 10 years ago, mobility seems to be pretty important.
DArn tootin'! A friend of mine who is now living/working in Brazil chose the iPad over his netbook and you can forget about him taking his desktop.

and if my personal economics ever get better, I'll be getting my wife an ipad clone sometime so she can play her flashgames online without tying up our laptop.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote