Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Can I use 1500mA-5V charger?

I've bought another new DR1000S as spare one(I really appreciate the device) but when I connected it to PC with USB cable to charge it, nothing happened - no light turned on. After searching in this forum, it seems that I need a 'wall charger'.

And I found out the below thread.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=1000ma

Then can I use '1500mA' charger without any problem or error? 1500mA one seemed the largest one. Is it charged faster as the number of 'mA' becomes larger?

Last edited by bokjeid; 10-13-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: 1500mA -> 2000mA -> 1500mA(this was the largest one I could order)
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
I've bought another new DR1000S as spare one(I really appreciate the device) but when I connected it to PC with USB cable to charge it, nothing happened - no light turned on. After searching in this forum, it seems that I need a 'wall charger'.
The DR1000S should charge from a USB port on a PC, but not all USB ports - or USB wall chargers for that matter - fully comply with the USB standard, and some devices are more sensitive to this than other devices. The DR1000S is at least not insensitive to this. In my experience though, PC USB ports have been more reliable than wall chargers.

The problem with USB wall chargers is not the current though. They usually provide a voltage that is off. The problem is that the specification of the device will not tell you this. The specification simply states 5 V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
Then can I use '2000mA' charger without any problem or error? 2000mA one seemed the largest one. Is it charged faster as the number of 'mA' becomes larger?
You can use a 2000 mA charger without problems. The mA rating only tells you what the maximum current is the charger can provide. If you try to draw more current, the charger will no longer be able to control the voltage accurately, and might overhead. But most chargers have some overload protection to prevent overheating.

A 2000 mA charger might charge faster, but not necessarily. The battery in your DR1000S uses a battery management circuit. This circuit controls with what current the battery is charged. In order to avoid uncontrolled charging (resulting in an overheated battery, or even a silent or even violent breakdown of the battery), the battery management circuit prevents the current from exceeding some maximum. If the charger would not be able to provide enough current, the battery management circuit will also prevent the battery from charging. So the battery management circuit will be able to charge the battery through some range of currents. If your charger can provide the maximum of the range, the battery is charged at maximum rate.

Regards,
Mark
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
bokjeid
Addict

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed explanation, Mark! Although I don't have much idea in that field, but now I can see I may try the 1500mA charger tomorrow.. And I'll post the result here after doing so.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The DR1000 seems to be fairly sensitive to the charger used. There have been a number of posts in the past about weird behavior when using "non-standard" chargers that don't follow the specs very closely. The only thing you can really do is try yours and see what happens. There used to be a compatibility list where users would post what brands they tried and how it worked, but am not sure if that post was on here or just over on iRex's forums (which don't exist anymore). There's probably a sticky/wiki somewhere around here.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
The list was in both places. It is still a sticky on top of this forum. However, as Groen explains, this will not likely be about the current, but about how accurate and stable the voltage is.

According to the USB spec, no more than 500mA should be drawn. Quite possibly the DR1000 limits itself to that. Gertjan, is that something you know and can share with us?
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
bokjeid
Addict

It seems that the charger I mentioned here and bought works now.. However, if there occurs some problem later, I'll let you all know..