Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Download from B&N to Sony?

Newbie here with a new PRS-350.

Spotted B&N FREE ebook page. We're created a new account and don't know what 'format' to select... Nook, PC, or what? Do I have to download one of their 'readers' and then convert to get it into my Sony?

I think I want to end up with an epub format but don't know how or if it can be done.
Thanks
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
I use the B&N Windows Reader, and it is possible to download within the Reader, but your "My eBooks Library" at B&N should also have a "download" button which downloads the ebook via any web browser. In my (recent) experience you almost always get an ePub.

Note that "free" does not mean DRM-free, so you need to strip the DRM (which is based on your credit card name and number) using ignobleepub.pyw.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that "free" does not mean DRM-free, so you need to strip the DRM (which is based on your credit card name and number) using ignobleepub.pyw.
Thanks Wallcraft. OK, I'm slow so bear with me. I downloaded the 'free' book from B&N and it was in epub form. Now when I try to added it to Sony Reader Library I get a request to "authorize the reader for Adobe DRM.. via Sony store or Adobe..."

Does that mean I will have to PAY to authorize the reader? Or is this a free formality?
I have no problem learning how to strip the DRM, I guess I wonder why for a 'free' book? How does this all work?
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Pegster's Avatar
 
Posts: 135
Karma: 508928
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southeastern US
Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
It's a 'free' book in that you're not paying for it - however the publisher still wishes to 'protect' it via DRM. Do you have an Adobe id already? It's free to get one. You can get one either through Sony or through downloading the Adobe Digital Editions software (which was the method I preferred). It means that if you download any DRM books (outside of the sony store), they'll go automatically into ADE - but you can then copy them into the sony software or calibre easily.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
It's a 'free' book in that you're not paying for it - however the publisher still wishes to 'protect' it via DRM. Do you have an Adobe id already? It's free to get one. You can get one either through Sony or through downloading the Adobe Digital Editions software (which was the method I preferred). It means that if you download any DRM books (outside of the sony store), they'll go automatically into ADE - but you can then copy them into the sony software or calibre easily.
OK, that sounds easy enough and painless. So what is the advantage of stripping the DRM?
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
polly's Avatar
 
Posts: 454
Karma: 270240
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
OK, that sounds easy enough and painless. So what is the advantage of stripping the DRM?
Unless things have changed recently, B&N chose to go with a different authentication method than the rest of the ePub selling bookstores. This means that B&N books won't work on a Sony reader. One advantage of stripping DRM is that you can read a B&N book on the Sony. Also, you can edit the CSS to your preference, change book formatting, and convert the book from one format to another. When the DRM is stripped, you don't have to worry about a book or a reader suddenly being deauthorized. I always hate for a book to stop working just as I get to the good part. I use Calibre to manage my ebooks and like adding the book cover and brief summary to the beginning of the book. That's only possible after the DRM is gone.

Personally, I've been buying ebooks for ten years now. In that time, I've purchased at least four different formats that are now obsolete (iSilo, Lit, ereader, mobipocket). Stripping DRM helps me guarantee that I can keep reading books that I own. The inconvenience of doing it is more than made up for by the ease of use once it's done.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Thanks, Polly,
I'm beginning to understand now.

Do you use the "ignobleepub.pyw" method?

I also just downloaded Calibre and then found that Calibre couldn't seem to show my pictures and drawings and also I couldn't find out how upload my existing Sony 350 stuff to Calibre, so I will keep both Calibre and the Sony Reader active. Or did I miss some capabilities on Calibre?

Last edited by Tom SKP; 10-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
polly's Avatar
 
Posts: 454
Karma: 270240
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
Thanks, Polly,
I'm beginning to understand now.

Do you use the "ignobleepub.pyw" method?

I also just downloaded Calibre and then found that Calibre couldn't seem to show my pictures and drawings and also I couldn't find out how upload my existing Sony 350 stuff to Calibre, so I will keep both Calibre and the Sony Reader active. Or did I miss some capabilities on Calibre?
Yes, I found help from ilovecabbages.

Keep them both around, but don't try to use them with your reader at the same time. They both update the same file on your reader. If they both try at the same time, bad things happen.

The easiest way to add books is to drag and drop from a file system (Windows Explorer) and in to Calibre. Your Sony downloads probably went into a folder called Reader Library. You can drag and drop direct from there and do a little updating of metadata from within Calibre. Sometimes book covers come with a book, but Calibre will download them from the internet when you edit metadata.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Xanthe's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,647
Karma: 5328751
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Surebleak
Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Just finally figured out how to load my B&N books onto my Sony. What a PITA to have to jump through those hoops just to read my own books on my own device, merely because B&N wants to sell their Nook.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just finally figured out how to load my B&N books onto my Sony. What a PITA to have to jump through those hoops just to read my own books on my own device, merely because B&N wants to sell their Nook.
Well, being the newbie that started this thread, I thought that I would be a good boy and get an Adobe ID for the DRM on the free romance novel my wife ordered from B&N on her computer. I downloaded it to my computer and then tried to get the Adobe ID. To make a shorter story, after an hour of battling I found out that the address/pass I was entering didn't match...??? Aparently some time in the past I had used that address with some part of Adobe Inc! Who knows! I eventually got a password reset and my Adobe ID was set up. But...... no go!

Well the end result is that since my wife had ordered the B&N book on her compiuter and I had downloaded it to my computer where the Sony is attached, there was a mis-match and I couldn't unlock it!!!! Wrong person and wrong computer!!!!

OK, that does it! I'm heading to strip the DRM from that book and be done with it!!! PITA is right!!!
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
polly's Avatar
 
Posts: 454
Karma: 270240
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
Well, being the newbie that started this thread, I thought that I would be a good boy and get an Adobe ID for the DRM on the free romance novel my wife ordered from B&N on her computer. I downloaded it to my computer and then tried to get the Adobe ID. To make a shorter story, after an hour of battling I found out that the address/pass I was entering didn't match...??? Aparently some time in the past I had used that address with some part of Adobe Inc! Who knows! I eventually got a password reset and my Adobe ID was set up. But...... no go!

Well the end result is that since my wife had ordered the B&N book on her compiuter and I had downloaded it to my computer where the Sony is attached, there was a mis-match and I couldn't unlock it!!!! Wrong person and wrong computer!!!!

OK, that does it! I'm heading to strip the DRM from that book and be done with it!!! PITA is right!!!
For future reference, you and your wife can share an Adobe account so that you can both read each other's books. Adobe will let you authorize six devices, so your computer and reader and her computer and reader would leave you with two remaining authorizations. Be careful with that whole authorizing/deathorizing routine. Once Adobe decides that you've authorized six devices, you have to talk to a human at Adobe and explain why you need more.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
wallcraft's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,979
Karma: 5183568
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
Well, being the newbie that started this thread, I thought that I would be a good boy and get an Adobe ID for the DRM on the free romance novel my wife ordered from B&N on her computer.
As others have said above, B&N does not use Adobe IDs. They use their own password-based DRM instead.

As a consumer, there seems little reason to play the publishers DRM game. Simply remove the DRM as soon as you get an ebook, and then use it under the normal "fair use" rules for all books. Any DRM scheme will screw you in the end (they are for the convenience of publishers, not readers). Stripping DRM immediately means that you will never be surprised when Adobe's pathetic deauthorization procedure locks you out of your ebooks, or when an ebook store is locked out by a publisher and all your old ebooks become orphans.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP doesn't litterTom SKP doesn't litter
 
Posts: 61
Karma: 100
Join Date: Oct 2010
Device: PRS-350 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
For future reference, you and your wife can share an Adobe account so that you can both read each other's books. Adobe will let you authorize six devices, so your computer and reader and her computer and reader would leave you with two remaining authorizations. Be careful with that whole authorizing/deathorizing routine. Once Adobe decides that you've authorized six devices, you have to talk to a human at Adobe and explain why you need more.
I now see that I didn't read Pegster's message about Adobe Digital Edition very carefully. In fact I didn't know what ADE was. Your message made me scratch my head and backtrack! Thanks, I think... and also to Pegster.

Boy how the publishing industry has complicated matters
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Tinks
Connoisseur
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter
 
Tinks's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 170
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Paperwhite, KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Simply remove the DRM as soon as you get an ebook, and then use it under the normal "fair use" rules for all books.
Is it legal to strip DRM? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Sony because I'm tired of waiting for B&N to come out with a new nook. In the mean time I've got over 100 free books in my B&N library(most of which are classics). I just want to make sure that stripping the DRM isn't illegal. Thanks for any info.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
polly's Avatar
 
Posts: 454
Karma: 270240
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Is it legal to strip DRM? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Sony because I'm tired of waiting for B&N to come out with a new nook. In the mean time I've got over 100 free books in my B&N library(most of which are classics). I just want to make sure that stripping the DRM isn't illegal. Thanks for any info.
The legality depends on who you ask and where you are. In the US, hosting the tools to remove DRM is illegal. Using the tools to remove DRM from your own books that you don't share hasn't been tested yet. Advocates of fair use say that it is legal because it allows you to use something you've purchased. The publishers would say that it's not because they want to be able to either sell the same book to you several times or lock you in to one format.

If your library is free classics, it's probably best to download the books from here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline). None of these books have DRM issues and the formatting is often better than you'd get from the bookstores anyway.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now I can't download my B&N books! Kosst Amojan General Discussions 0 04-08-2010 05:33 PM
Cannot download from B&N dmikov iRex 15 03-12-2010 10:19 AM
Classic Batch download of B&N eBooks? mgmueller Barnes & Noble NOOK 5 02-08-2010 12:01 PM
WinCE - How to get download for Q5 & Q7 Nation.A.List Alternative Devices 65 08-14-2009 03:05 AM
(Problem Resolved) AARGGGGHHHHH!!! Sony #&%@&^#(*%!*#& CS DrMoze Sony Reader 11 09-06-2007 11:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.