Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Thats one reason we (the missus and I) love running Linux; the only time you have to reboot is if you update your kernel (think of it as the master program that drives your computer). Anything else does not require a reboot which makes us all the more impatient with Windows when we have to use it and reboot all the time. Now I have not used it personally but I just read where in the next kernel release we won't even have to reboot then; something called "ksplice" can patch your kernel with updates while it is running. As for garden-variety shared objects (.so files, similar to DLLs in purpose, if not execution) you should never have to reboot. That is how we manage to pull off uptime statistics measured in years..
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
chazmo
chazmo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Adobe wish to hijack your computer startup!

Simply because Adobe wish to add their update process to your computer startup process, and do the same with other Adobe services. This gives the rest of us in the real world having to hack startup using MSConFig to stop this happening, as modern fast computers don't need background services from third party vendors such as Adobe running until needed. Similarly you can check for updates for Adobe reader manually as and when you, not Adobe wish. It's basically very impolite of Adobe to use the shared dlls smokescreen nonsense! Also for Adobe to automatically add these entries to your computer startup without your by and leave or explicit permission!
chazmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Then there is the bloatware that Adobe (and others) wants to install, and which explicitly requires me to uncheck a check box to prevent. I don't want to name names, but (cough cough)
Spoiler:
Chrome
comes to mind.

It's getting to where I don't want to update Adobe products anymore, and when my wife gets an "Update Available" message, I have her trained to click "No Thankee" and call me!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote