Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Recommend Non Fiction

I am looking for a non fiction book recommendation. I have enjoyed The Price of Thirst, Lost in Shangri-La, & The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I am not a fan of autobiographies, biographies or memoirs.

I know there is someone here that can give me a few ideas to pick from.

Thanks in advance.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Non fiction is of course a huge field! I'd recommend pretty much anything written by Bill Bryson - an extremely witty author. A specific recommendation would be his book "A Short History of Nearly Everything".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #3
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Non fiction is of course a huge field!
It certainly is! To me this is sort of like saying "Recommend to me things to like" More clues would help a lot.

The only one I've read on your list is Henrietta Lacks, which I thought was extremely good. Some nonfiction I have enjoyed (from very very much to a fair bit), for what it is worth, taking out biographies and memoirs, which I think is a bit of shame, but so it goes:

Stephen Jay Gould's books
Am I Black Enough For You? - Anita Heiss
The Wife Drought - Annabel Crabb
The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker
Carl Sagan's books
Natural Curiosity: Unseen Art of the First Fleet
Nickel and Dimed
Cod and Salt - Mark Kurlansky
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts - Simon Garfield
Sincerely - Marieke Hardy (ed)
The Perfume Lover: A Natural History of Scent - Denyse Beaulieu
Chicks Unravel Time - Deborah Stanish (ed)
The Bill Brysons, as above
Oliver Sacks, particularly The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat
Godel, Escher, Bach
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Go to our Recommendations for Your Favorite Book Genre thread in the Sticky Thread list above and scroll down to the Nonfiction section. Lots of recommendations there.
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Non fiction is of course a huge field! I'd recommend pretty much anything written by Bill Bryson - an extremely witty author. A specific recommendation would be his book "A Short History of Nearly Everything".
I'm now reading Bryson's A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail and so far it is excellent.
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
John K
Connoisseur
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle DXG
From the description of The Price of Thirst, you might like:

“Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies”

“Why the West Rules—for Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future”

“Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed”
This is 600 pages that could have been 300 pages but very interesting.

Lost in Shangri-La brings to my mind:
“The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics”

“China's Wings: War, Intrigue, Romance, and Adventure in the Middle Kingdom During the Golden Age of Flight”
Edit to add: you might find this too much of a biography of American aviation executive William Langhorne Bond.

“Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption”
Edit 2 to add: This could trigger "biography" of Louis Zamperini.

I haven't read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks yet.

Last edited by John K; 08-27-2015 at 08:25 AM.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Have a look at this thread: Entertaining non-fiction books to learn something from.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GlowLight, Kindle PW2 & Fire HD 6, iPad 3, Nook Tablet & Color, R
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
by William Kamkwamba
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Agree with anything by Bill Bryson
Hiroshima by John Hersey
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
by William Kamkwamba
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Agree with anything by Bill Bryson
Hiroshima by John Hersey
Yep any of these and anything by Mary Roach or Bill Bryson

I'll add my favorite non-fiction book - The Immense Journey by Loren Eiseley it is a bit dated science-wise (it was written mid 20th century) but reading it is awe inspiring and pure poetry in prose.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote