Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
Isolatedts
Isolatedts began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Help With Book or Series Recommendations

Hello! I am looking for ALLbook/novel recommendations you can give me. The Recommendations only need to fit one of the tropes I list. I am not picky all I really want is an addicting series or book.

*World setting also don't matter it can be full of magic/fantasy or anything at all.

I am currently in the mood for books where...

-The protagonist rises to power...

-Protagonist uses whatever methods possible to achieve his goals lots of conflict.

-Factions/Guild Warfare (Shadowdance series if anyone read it)
-Politics, Manipulations, doing wrong things for right reasons etc..

-Protagonist is an Anti-Hero, Anti-Villain, or could even be accused or perceived wrongly.

-Protagonist has had a dark past, has ideals that he manipulates/or becomes the chess-master of the series because of it.

-Novel maybe that explores grey areas or a trope of right and wrong, "Hero's or empire in charge are the so called bad guys but people think they are good. (Red Rising series is somewhat like this, good books. But maybe something darker, more ruthless, any suggestions are good.

-Spying, Assassinations, Killing etc, main character does terrible things for good or if he doesn't worse things will happen.

- An "I did what I had to do" protagonist tvtrope

-Genius Protagonists (Kingkiller Chronicles)

ASOIF also fits a lot of what I listed above.

Thanks for you're help! There are too many tropes/ideas to list. If you have something else in the general theme of things please recommend it.
Isolatedts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
hildea
Groupie
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had a BeBook Neo earlier)
Sarah Rees Brennan: Demon's Lexcion (triology, this is the first book).

Some info on how it fits your tropes: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2009/06/2...-rees-brennan/
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Check out K.J. Parker's The Folding Knife. Seems to fit. It had an odd "voice" to me but rates four stars at Goodreads and fits much of your criteria.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #4
hildea
Groupie
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had a BeBook Neo earlier)
You'll find lots of suggestions for you "-The protagonist rises to power..." in this thread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256092 , where someone asked for "series that covers one character from beginning to end on a path to greatness."
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #5
Hampshire Nanny
Fanatic
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Try the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher which begins with Furies of Calderon. You might also enjoy The Seafort Saga by David Feintuch, beginning with Midshipman's Hope.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote