Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
birkmaggs
birkmaggs began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy 2
Hundreds of books vanished in thin air. YIKES!

About 1/3 of my 2000+ library vanished for reasons I don't comprehend. I started getting a lot "no available formats." I went in and looked and the folders are still there with opf and metadata, but the books are gone. I still have them in other folders, but this has shaken me.

Just venting.
birkmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
birkmaggs

I think it has to do with switching libraries. But I ve already deleted all the other libraries I don't want so I guess I'll have to search the disk and upload them again. At least I still have the titles and metadata in the data base.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by birkmaggs View Post
I think it has to do with switching libraries. But I ve already deleted all the other libraries I don't want so I guess I'll have to search the disk and upload them again. At least I still have the titles and metadata in the data base.
Calibre does not just up and remove formats (You are missing formats because you say there still is cover and OPF)

There is a remove files of a specific formats from selected books

That operation should have been fairly obvious as it brings up a list of formats WITH counts of each should you select and proceed

There is a option to delete books on Send, but that is the BOOK (all associated files gone)

could you be in the wrong Library? ( and you deleted the others )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
birkmaggs

I didn't delete any formats because the files i was trying to open were pdfs, but there are still lots of pdfs that were not deleted. In any event, if i delete the book, shouldn't it entirely disappear? The folders are there and each one has an opf and a cover. Just no book.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't delete any formats because the files i was trying to open were pdfs, but there are still lots of pdfs that were not deleted. In any event, if i delete the book, shouldn't it entirely disappear? The folders are there and each one has an opf and a cover. Just no book.
If you use Calibre to delete a book (line item), all traces should go.
Is it possible you have 'ownership' issues with folders in the Library (I would not expect Calibre to be quiet about this )?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer

Is the Library in a Dropbox type folder? You must pause synch, better yet: Also make it one way
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
birkmaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is the Library in a Dropbox type folder? You must pause synch, better yet: Also make it one way

copy.com
I m not clear about your instructions.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
birkmaggs

ill move the library back on the hd and use copy.com as a backup
Old 10-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
jecilop
Connoisseur
jecilop began at the beginning.

Device: Android
If you accidentally deleted the associated book files (and not the folder,cover, opf), then those files ARE in the recycle bin.

I speak from having done this accidentally through format removal inadvertantly choosing the wrong files.

Assuming you don't always clear the recycle bin, check there.
Restore, however, does NOT just put it back as you would thing.
However, it does create a location with all of these files in the same directory where you keep the main library folder from which they were deleted.

You'd have to add them back as well as any metadata that may not have been included in the actual file.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
theducks
Grand Sorcerer

Cloud file services (copy, Dropbox...) fight with Calibre's name changes.
You must pause those (at least on the Library) when using Calibre.

Not limited to the following issues: (there is a FAQ section on this)
You changed a name,
Calibre moved (renamed the folders) the book.
The cloud tried to put (synch) the old folders back

(covers,OPF are usually smaller, so they got done fast)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
birkmaggs

almost 1000 books gone. I guess I learned my lesson.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
copy.com
I m not clear about your instructions.
Use something like FreeFileSync for Windows (or rsync for OSX and linux) to perform a "mirror" sync -- it will copy all files in your library into a folder in your Dropbox. Then it will update the copy in Dropbox, but unlilke a regular sync it will not push changes from Dropbox to the main library.

Excellent way to keep backups.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-15-2014 at 12:49 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
hank
hank began at the beginning.

Device: ClieSJ30 VisorEdge Plm3xe
I have a lot of folders that show up as duplicates, which contain only covers and .opf, or only .opf.
I'd like to just find all of those and remove these folders that contain nothing other than .jpg, .opf, or both.

Any way?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Run the Library Maintenance option and you will be told about discrepancies where the file system does not match what is stored in the calibre database.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, Nook Glow, PB Touch Lux 623
Do you use the Dropbox option that lets you specify specific folders (not necessarily in the Dropbox folder) to sync? I saw on their blog that they did have a problem with files being deleted from those folders. I'd have to see if I can find the link - but I remember mostly that I was grateful I hadn't chosen to use that option.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote