Notices

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Kane1951
Kane1951 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Adding book to existing library

Good day

Here is my problem:

I have mounted a library of books I would like to have.

Once I get the book and want to place it in Calibre it opens a new book.

I can always copy the book into the Calibre library file, but then the book doesn't open automatically when I click on it. I have to go to the file to open it.

Is there a way to add the book for it to open automatically without creating another book?

Thank you.
Kane1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Could you be more clear on what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish?

Specifically:

What do you mean by "place it in Calibre"?

What do you mean by "it opens a new book"?
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As fidvo said, it is difficult to determine what exactly you mean.

But it sounds like you might be trying to open a book in calibre (via the "View" toolbar icon or by clicking the format in the Book Details pane)... and instead of opening the book in the E-Book Viewer it is adding the book AGAIN to your calibre library.

Go to Preferences ==> Behavior ==> Use internal viewer for...
Make sure the book fomat is checked.

This is sometimes an issue for people with the AZW3 book format. The book opens in the OS default, which somehow ended up being the main calibre program.
The main calibre program can handle books, by adding them to the library.

It is an unfortunate circular loop.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Kane1951

Sorry I didn't explain myself well.

1. I created a catalogue with some books I don't yet have. I entered the title, author, synopsis, and cover. However the entry has no format (there is no book)

2. Today I was able to download the book and I wanted to enter it in the database.
If I go the usually way and add a book, Calibre enters a new book with its file that contains the book cover, metadata and the book. If I click on the title the book will open in the Calibre reader.

3. However, what I would like to do is add the book to the database I now have that has no format.
I can open the file and add the book but that way if I click on the title when I'm in Calibre the book will not open. To be able to read it I must enter the file and open it from there.

I'm not sure I was able to explain my problem well, sure hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Drag-and-drop the ebook file onto the Book Details pane on the right. It will add the file as a new fomat for that book record.

You can also use the Add book format option in the Edit Metadata window.

Copying the file into the library folder via the file browser won't work, because it doesn't tell calibre that the file is there. You need to add the book format from within calibre.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-22-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Kane1951

OK million thanks I'll try it.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
The method described by eschwartz is likely the best going forward.

If you have already imported the new "real" book you can merge it with the existing "hollow" book record. Select the "hollow" original book entry and then select the newly imported "real" book (selection order is important) and then press M to merge the two records.

There is a preference setting in Preferences>Adding books that can automate the merge on import (automerge). This can work well, but will occasionally fail when the titles differ (e.g. original record has just the title and the new book has a subtitle added to the title, ...).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Kane1951

It worked JUST FINE.

Thank you again!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Happy to help.

As dwig said, you can actually merge duplicates, but it isn't worth the hassle IMHO (unless you already imported them). There is a Find Duplicates plugin which can help, but hopefully you won't ever need it.