Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #46
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
I finally got around to try to run FBReader on my iLiad. I've really had troubles with my iLiad lately, and it turned out my MMC card FS was messed up. (This has happened before, I try now to be extremely careful about mounting/unmounting etc, hopefully it will not happen again).

Anyway, FBReader didn't work. And the error message is (of course): Segmentation fault. (Main reason why I don't like programming in C...).

When I run it the first time, all the other things that should be done (moving manifest files, settings etc) seemed to work ok. When I start FBReader from the iLiad, it goes back to the content lister after about 4 seconds. When I start FBReader from my shell, it gives me seg fault.

So, any ideas? Probably not, but any common errors or anything I can do to get some clue to what the problem is?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #47
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

I have an idea...

First: Did any Windows users get this to work? If so, how did they transfer the files?

I used wget (on the iliad) to get the file, but unzip didn't work (unknown compression method '0'?). Then I used unzip on my (windows) computer to unzip it and repackage it as a tar.gz, which I transferred to the iliad and unpacked. But then the text files (xml config files) seems to be in dos-format. That could be the cause. I also tried copying the files from my computer using my card reader but of course that will cause the same problem with text files.

So I will try to unzip and repackage on another linux computer, and then try everything again...

Enthusiast
Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #48
narve
iLiad fan

Damnation! When I tried to untar my repackaged zip file my shell just hangs. I can open new shells, but I can't access /media/card. Reboot doesn't work, gotta use the reset button. And 'ls' in my fbread folder hangs as well. So the entire filesystem is messed up again??

Seems like a problem with my MMC card, perhaps?

Anyways, I guess I'll just stick with PDF books for a while, perhaps buy a CF card that is confirmed to work properly. Luckily I have enough books for the easter holiday :S
Old 03-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #49
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
I have an idea...

First: Did any Windows users get this to work? If so, how did they transfer the files?

I used wget (on the iliad) to get the file, but unzip didn't work (unknown compression method '0'?). Then I used unzip on my (windows) computer to unzip it and repackage it as a tar.gz, which I transferred to the iliad and unpacked. But then the text files (xml config files) seems to be in dos-format. That could be the cause. I also tried copying the files from my computer using my card reader but of course that will cause the same problem with text files.

So I will try to unzip and repackage on another linux computer, and then try everything again...
I use 7zip on my Windows computer and save the result in a file on it, or directly in the root of my SD card via the multicardreader/writer on the PC. Then it works.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan
Is there a way to read a topic with all of it subtopics in a continous mode - not having to use the TOC all the time for selecting next heading/subtopic? I find it very annoying to read whole topics in this way.
Version 0.8.1c has "Go To Next/Previous Toc Section" actions. By default these are mapped to <ctrl> right/left arrow, but they can be mapped to other keys (either by changing the iLiad defaults, or via the keys tab in the settings). These actions are essential for CHM files, but are also useful for other book formats with a TOC.

I have tried both gnochm and kchmviewer on my Pepper Pad, and FBReader is stil my favorite for CHM files. Having the TOC on-screen all the time can be convenient, but it takes up too much screen real estate.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #51
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It's odd. When I compile it for the iLiad, I don't have a keys tab in the settings. Is it because I'm using the desktop profile for compiling? Maybe I should try a different one...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #52
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, JBC, Onyx M92
what is the FBReader anyway .. haven´t read of it yet ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
It's odd. When I compile it for the iLiad, I don't have a keys tab in the settings. Is it because I'm using the desktop profile for compiling? Maybe I should try a different one...
The Pepper Pad version is exactly the same as Desktop build. See the attached screenshot that shows all the settings tabs on the Pepper Pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_keys.png
Views:	235
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	3054  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #54
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Hmmm....Comparing your screenshot to mine:

Looks like my options screen is cut off after colors with no way to scroll to the next tabs. Colors aren't much use on the iLiad, I'm sure I can remove that tab somewhere in the code.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
what is the FBReader anyway .. haven´t read of it yet
It is Open Source e-book reader software for Linux (and now Windows) devices. See FBReader's web page.

FBReader reads a wide range of non-DRM reflowable e-book formats, and is highly customizable.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #56
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Looks like my options screen is cut off after colors with no way to scroll to the next tabs. Colors aren't much use on the iLiad, I'm sure I can remove that tab somewhere in the code.
Under Windows, the tabs are in two rows (see attached). The "Web" tab is new with version 0.8.X, but the "Keys" tab has always been there and is very useful for customizing the available keys based on how you use the reader. Note that for scrolling options you may need the scrolling tab (to choose how to scroll) and the keys tab (to associate a key with a scrolling action).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_Styles.png
Views:	212
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	3055  
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #57
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
I use 7zip on my Windows computer and save the result in a file on it, or directly in the root of my SD card via the multicardreader/writer on the PC. Then it works.
I doesn't work for me...

Did you format the card on windows? And do you have 32-bit or 64-bit? I have 64-bit, of course it shouldn't matter but...

Can you tell me the brand of your SD card? I am going to try a new SD/MMC/CF card, and I will buy something that people have had success with (but as large as possible).
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #58
narve
iLiad fan

Damn I really want this to work! After YET another reformat all the files seems to be where they should be, and the card is properly recognized (no more sudden switches to read-only mounts. I think I used FAT previosly, "for maximum portability", this time I checked the FAQ and used FAT32).

But now I get this error:

./FBReader: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected PLT reloc type 0x00
r

(If I start it from the iLiad I get a few seconds of blinking green lights and then back to the content lister)

Does anybody know what this means?

Edit: After a reboot, I get this error:

Code:
root@ereader:/media/card/fbread# export DISPLAY=:0
root@ereader:/media/card/fbread# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/card/fbread/lib
root@ereader:/media/card/fbread# ./FBReader
Illegal instruction
root@ereader:/media/card/fbread#

Last edited by narve; 04-08-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #59
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
So far at least I'm in the 'doesn't work' camp. I downloaded the sh hack Friday, tried the FBRead folder that I had previously to the CF card, and nothing happened. Using a flavor of Windows XP.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #60
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
I doesn't work for me...

Did you format the card on windows? And do you have 32-bit or 64-bit? I have 64-bit, of course it shouldn't matter but...

Can you tell me the brand of your SD card? I am going to try a new SD/MMC/CF card, and I will buy something that people have had success with (but as large as possible).
It seems that the largest SD card you can use is 1GB ! My brand is Kingston.
Just format it as FAT
First try if you can put a PDF on it and read it with the iLiad
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote